• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Date A Live (TV) (TV + movies).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:10 pm Reply with quote
this show is goofy, and I'm ok with that. Are we going to find out how Shido spoiler[survived a massive hole in his side, or are just going to have to trust his Sister when she says he wont ever stay dead]?
Rhyono

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:00 pm Reply with quote
@getchman His existence is apparently being treated like that of a video game protagonist and thus he can never truly die since he can always just "continue."
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:40 am Reply with quote
Episode 4

My least favourite so far. Partly because I was expecting the spoiler[little matter of MC's immortality to be addressed,] which it never was. That irritated me.

And while I understand that the point of this show is to parody various tropes, to me it felt like much of the episode was actually simply servicing said tropes as opposed to putting some fresh comedic spin on them. The whole cookie battle, for example.

And as a goofy comedy, I don't expect a strict adherence to reality, but why would Tohka have a shower and then just a short time later have a bath? Unless they were trying to suggest these events were happening over successive days, which wasn't clear.

Hope to see a return to better comedy next time.
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:38 am Reply with quote
Tohka seems to be adapting fast ^^
Interesting that even spoiler[Origami has accepted her now].
Looks like Shido now has his little spoiler[harem.]
I'm still amazed by Tohka's love for food.
The spoiler[bathroom part] was totally ROFL
The spoiler[new spirit girl] was interesting.
It was a pretty fun episode ^^
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:09 am Reply with quote
Episode 4

I repeat that I love the opening song, it has a kind of epic feel to it. This episode had bit more of a cliché feel to it, with the cookies and accidental run ins. Although I find Origami's place in it to be rather humorous with saying such things as spoiler[.02 seconds faster], and knowing the spoiler[exact date he has had the lunchbox], stalker implications are funny.

Can't say that I did not like the interactions the Hermit, aka Yoshino. I think she may end up as my favourite character in the show based off what I have seen: a scared meek girl that acts tough through a hand puppet. Setting up the drama with spoiler[her, Tohka and Shido] seems great to me as it feels like something that should come up eventually with their plan. And actually the preview of next episode has gotten me very excited, it looks like exactly the sort of drama that I love in anime.

Probably makes no sense, but for some strange reason I reminded of Nanoha when I saw the giant rabbit (angel), I can't put my finger on what it is though. The show feels like a hotpot of diffirent things, which I actually like, now I realized that the fighter girls remind me of Busou Shinki. Lets look at Yoshino's seiyuu, oh she is behind such voices as Nymph, which I find somewhat interesting.
Yoshino Nymph
Actually I just realized she also did Haruna which made that crossover picture interesting.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:24 am Reply with quote
Episode 5

My big disappointment for this one is that spoiler[the girl who always says "Gross"] didn't make an appearance this time. Not quite sure why but she cracks me up every time.

Anyway, a little too much "DAWWWWWWWWW" and not enough yuks for me. Still, there are worse ways to spend 20-odd minutes, I guess.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:28 am Reply with quote
Episode 5

Favourite part of the episode was spoiler[Origami's apartment], I am not sure if it was intentional, but it felt like a parody of similar scenes of Nagato's apartment in The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. The was the door spoiler[opening up after providing a name (although he did not even finish)], the relatively plain spoiler[apartment], providing spoiler[tea that the guy has to drink (although Origami's did not exactly look nice]). There is of course her general stoic persona and white/grey hair, actually I found her outfit also matched a similar parody as Nagato kind of gave surprise that she wore her uniform, while Origami is spoiler[wearing a maid outfit]. I find her character hilarious with keenly and stoicly getting close, and out of the blue spoiler[deciding to take a shower].

And how can ya heart not feel for Yoshino, especially with the Yoshinon explanation I am happy to have both in my current avatar. I guess it can come across a little childish/moe at bits, but it is generally good. On music, yeah the OP is still among my top, but I am also really likeing the opera like singing that appear at certain bits, especially like at the bit with Sandalphon, I have a big weakness for things like that.

They also stated that Shido's healing spoiler[has some sort of Spirit power connection]. What aren't they telling him?

Blood- wrote:
My big disappointment for this one is that spoiler[the girl who always says "Gross"] didn't make an appearance this time. Not quite sure why but she cracks me up every time.
Strangely I agree with you, a running gag can often be funny by sheer repeating.
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:33 pm Reply with quote
Episode 5
It's pretty obvious that Tohka is spoiler[jealous] of what happened in the previous episode with Shido. Yoshino is pretty cute though under that funny clothes of her's, especially when she's hungry :p

I swear though, Tohka always shows up at the WRONG place at the WRONG time.

The apartment scene was both funny and face palm worthy. It's pretty obvious spoiler[what Origami Tobiichi is trying to do to get Shido's attention. The way she does it though is....lol, a bit direct and likely planned out way ahead of time with the maid clothes, coffee, "trade", and shower.]

spoiler[Idk why though but I got this NGE vibe when they said 'Angel' in this episode.] Anyways, ya...looks like her arc is over this week. My favorite character from the LN will soon be making her epic debut so looking forward to that.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Chagen46

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:04 pm Reply with quote
I'm watching through this show right now, catching up, and I'm on episode 3 as of now.

I have to say, this episode is...well, it's Fremdschamen to the max. Ow. It's funny but watching this episode kind of hurts from how clueless Tohka is.

...Then again it is pretty funny.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:23 pm Reply with quote
it has a high cringe factor?
Chagen46

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:32 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, fremdschamen is when you're embarassed because something embarassing is happening to someone else.

Also, am I the only utterly mystified as to why they would set the whole Date A Live project* but they didn't tell AST about it? Who the hell is running this operation?

*:That's what I'm calling the efforts to get Shido to date the spirits--is this thing government-funded, by the way? I don't think they ever explained.

EDIT:

WOW TOBIICHI

WAY TO SCREW EVERYTHING UP
Skullface

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:59 am Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:

Also, am I the only utterly mystified as to why they would set the whole Date A Live project* but they didn't tell AST about it? Who the hell is running this operation?

*:That's what I'm calling the efforts to get Shido to date the spirits--is this thing government-funded, by the way? I don't think they ever explained.

Some stuff with the AST will be explained later (see the next arc).
But short term answer both organizations are run by the government. The AST is a subsection of the military.
While (from the wiki since I couldn't remember) "The organization known as <Ratatoskr> is only known (assumedly) by the upper level of the government and high ranking military people."
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 1:18 pm Reply with quote
Tohka's angry face was kinda cute.
Shido is starting to collect weird girls.
spoiler[Yoshino] was just too cute ^^
I'm not really into this kind of anime, but it got me interested.
Probably because it's not a typical harem yet.
Well, Origami became a bit pushy..
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 8:02 pm Reply with quote
the hot spring episode looks like it will be fun. I'd love to get an explanation as to why Origami is trying so hard to spoiler[get into Shido's pants].
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 5:25 am Reply with quote
Episode 6

A hot spring episode, I am sure we can enjoy the various characters enjoy and relax, even the AST need a rest. Well spoiler[they don't get it, a small tantrum on Tohka's part breaks their ride along with the AST gals, and things just] get more insane from there. All I needed was the very beginning to realize that the AST captain has been greatly underused, along with Origami she was comedy gold. With Origami doing her stalker bit her captain ruthlessly fought for her vacation.

In a scene that threw common sense out the window we had the city turn into a warzone, spoiler[the city itself being the attacker with various ridiculous weapons]. Actually re-watching the beginning I realized that the pink scribbles were just censors we did not realize they were being spoiler[bombed by explosives that look like food]. The cherry was having the captainspoiler[ lose it, shoot everything with a minigun, throw a grenade, look like a villain (scaring her girls)], her dialogue getting spoiler[increasingly vulgar until she was just ranting about how she tries to look after herself].

Also Yoshinon had its own caption in the car. This show is best when it is making fun of its own genre, been pretty nuts, and from this episode making even somewhat cool headed characters scare the hell out of supposedly battle hardened warriors. "The wall exploded on its own" Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 12