• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Ar-moe-geddon

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kastel

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:02 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Going to an English language board and posting a message to another poster in a language they can't understand is odious - and actually against ANN rules, I believe. So when you act like a tool, you shouldn't be surprised if the response is not terribly congenial. Duh.

ひどいいいいい〜
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:03 pm Reply with quote
Rule no. 2 as laid out in "Teh Rules" by Tempest:

Quote:
English Language Usage

These forums are English-language forums. All users are expected to have a working knowledge of proper English. We are not an IM chatroom; we expect proper grammar, spelling, and punctuation. All conversation must be in English.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:09 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:

Quote:
English Language Usage

These forums are English-language forums. All users are expected to have a working knowledge of proper English. We are not an IM chatroom; we expect proper grammar, spelling, and punctuation. All conversation must be in English.

Except its not a conversation.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:41 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Blood- wrote:

Quote:
English Language Usage

Except its not a conversation.

We are on a forum conversing with each other. How do you fail this hard with basic logic?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:45 pm Reply with quote
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:

We are on a forum conversing with each other. How do you fail this hard with basic logic?

A conversation is two people going back in forth. In the past, some people would be having conversations in other languages. THAT is what the rule is against. It is NOT a rule against using other languages in any way whatsoever. The post in discussion was mostly in English and there was a specific reason that one part was not.

Sentence =/= conversation. Is this logic too difficult to grasp?
Mugley

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:49 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
dtm42 wrote:
And hey, males are also vastly overrepresented in being villains, but I don't see anyone ever complain about that.

Males are over-represented period

In all roles. Well, except those of "love interest" and "object of rescue"

When it comes to the two sexes, men are more abused in domestic violence scenarios than women are, but in our media women tend to be victimized more. Maybe men are using media as a power fantasy to escape from the trauma they experience in their day to day and live out a scenario where they can be empowered and be the hero rather than the victim.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:52 pm Reply with quote
Mugley wrote:

When it comes to the two sexes, men are more abused in domestic violence scenarios than women are, but in our media women tend to be victimized more. Maybe men are using media as a power fantasy to escape from the trauma they experience in their day to day and live out a scenario where they can be empowered and be the hero rather than the victim.

What?
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:57 pm Reply with quote
Mugley wrote:

We're through the looking glass here people
Mugley

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:09 pm Reply with quote
what do you mean? I just wanted to point out why perhaps male heroes are common. Its just a theory
Kaisos Erranon

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:18 pm Reply with quote
Mugley wrote:
what do you mean? I just wanted to point out why perhaps male heroes are common. Its just a theory

This is beautiful.
You, my friend, you are beautiful.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:26 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

Even if with proveable statistics that show Woman are significant contributers to domestic abuse scenarios, it is a "many wrongs don't make things right" type of situation.
It is akin to proveing that ethnic groups hate on one another and somehow that justifies race on race violence in mass media.
504NOSON2
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:09 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Mugley wrote:

What?

He's pointing out the reality of how the very concept of domestic violence has become a one-way street, and men receive unfair treatment in terms of the justice system. So, while studies find that women initiate the violence roughly 24% of the time (men 27%, and the rest is relatively mutual), women are overwhelmingly viewed as victims. That's even when males report being attacked first, and not being aggressor, the male is generally the one placed under arrest. Oh, what a world.

Since I was given required reading yesterday, by HitokiriShadow, I figured I'd give you guys some: The Second Sexism: Discrimination Against Men and Boys.

Mainly for those who need a heavy dose of evidence and facts.

*Warning*-- Having your delusions that are founded in nothing more than propaganda and emotional bias destroyed in approximately 30 minutes, depending on reading speed, is not for everyone. Side effects include cognitive dissonance, hypocrisy of beliefs, or submerging yourself even deeper into delusion. Ask your doctor (the closest rational person you can find) if evidence and facts are for you.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:12 pm Reply with quote
504NOSON2 wrote:

He's pointing out the reality of how the very concept of domestic violence has become a one-way street, and men receive unfair treatment in terms of the justice system. So, while studies find that women initiate the violence roughly 24% of the time (men 27%, and the rest is relatively mutual), women are overwhelmingly viewed as victims. That's even when males report being attacked first, and not being aggressor, the male is generally the one placed under arrest. Oh, what a world.

Thats actually not what he said.

Your position is relatively reasonable (though I find it shocking how all of a sudden people find this of concern), but it is /definitely/ not what he said.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:16 pm Reply with quote
504NOSON2 wrote:

Since I was given required reading yesterday, by HitokiriShadow, I figured I'd give you guys some: The Second Sexism: Discrimination Against Men and Boys.

No, I'm not buying a book.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:19 pm Reply with quote
504NOSON2 wrote:

Mainly for those who need a heavy dose of evidence and facts.

*Warning*-- Having your delusions that are founded in nothing more than propaganda and emotional bias destroyed in approximately 30 minutes, depending on reading speed, is not for everyone. Side effects include cognitive dissonance, hypocrisy of beliefs, or submerging yourself even deeper into delusion. Ask your doctor (the closest rational person you can find) if evidence and facts are for you.

Before anybody reads what you suggest*, you should have to explain how you typed that without vomiting. I gagged uncontrollably on the preening smugness of the first phrase alone.

*I'd've gone with, "gives you the satisfaction," but you've clearly given yourself more of that than a horny diphallic fourteen year old with more hands than Krishna and a broadband connection.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 75 of 77