• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Ar-moe-geddon

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Crispy45

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:27 pm Reply with quote
504NOSON2 wrote:
He's pointing out the reality of how the very concept of domestic violence has become a one-way street, and men receive unfair treatment in terms of the justice system. So, while studies find that women initiate the violence roughly 24% of the time (men 27%, and the rest is relatively mutual), women are overwhelmingly viewed as victims. That's even when males report being attacked first, and not being aggressor, the male is generally the one placed under arrest. Oh, what a world.

Since I was given required reading yesterday, by HitokiriShadow, I figured I'd give you guys some: [url=/Second-Sexism-Discrimination-Against-Boys/dp/0470674512/ref=la_B001IU0QGY_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1367364748&sr=1-2]The Second Sexism: Discrimination Against Men and Boys[/url].

Mainly for those who need a heavy dose of evidence and facts.

*Warning*-- Having your delusions that are founded in nothing more than propaganda and emotional bias destroyed in approximately 30 minutes, depending on reading speed, is not for everyone. Side effects include cognitive dissonance, hypocrisy of beliefs, or submerging yourself even deeper into delusion. Ask your doctor (the closest rational person you can find) if evidence and facts are for you.

>_> men can't be oppressed or victims. tumblr said so. We're privileged and in power and are never victims of sexism or abuse.

who cares that it's estimated that in this country a man is severely assaulted by his female partner every 14.6 seconds compared to a woman who is assaulted every 15 seconds by her male partner.

who cares a woman is nearly twice as likely to use an object when she assaults a male partner which can increase the level of potential injury.

who cares that despite about 8-10% of male-to-female partner violence is reported, only 1-2% of female-to-male partner violence is reported.

who cares despite the large discrepancy, very few domestic violence centers will cater to or even allow men who are victim to abuse shelter there

who cares men are more likely to be arrested than women in the event the police are called, even if they are the victim in this case just because society has vilified and stereotyped men

who cares women are actually more likely to abuse their children than men are yet are more likely to be given custody

who cares- >_> ok I can't go on anymore but you get the point. it is dumb how one-sided these debates always get and haters only look at one side of the argument
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:30 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:32 pm Reply with quote
504NOSON2 wrote:

He's pointing out the reality of how the very concept of domestic violence has become a one-way street, and men receive unfair treatment in terms of the justice system. So, while studies find that women initiate the violence roughly 24% of the time (men 27%, and the rest is relatively mutual), women are overwhelmingly viewed as victims. That's even when males report being attacked first, and not being aggressor, the male is generally the one placed under arrest. Oh, what a world.

Since I was given required reading yesterday, by HitokiriShadow, I figured I'd give you guys some: The Second Sexism: Discrimination Against Men and Boys.

*Warning*-- Having your delusions that are founded in nothing more than propaganda and emotional bias destroyed in approximately 30 minutes, depending on reading speed, is not for everyone. Side effects include cognitive dissonance, hypocrisy of beliefs, or submerging yourself even deeper into delusion. Ask your doctor (the closest rational person you can find) if evidence and facts are for you.

Yes, don't let yourselves be fooled by the media, them bitches been controlling them to make you believe they've been victims of abuse and discrimination for over 2000 years, and the moment you lest know, they're giving you a black eye for doing the laundry the wrong way or knocking you down with a frying pan for screwing up the shopping.

I don't deny the existence of female-to-male abuse, but the notion that it's a problem on equal or even higher proportion to male-to-female abuse and discrimination is absurd to say the least

Last edited by CrowLia on Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:32 pm Reply with quote
Crispy45 wrote:

>_> men can't be oppressed or victims. tumblr said so. We're privileged and in power and are never victims of sexism or abuse.

[citation needed]

Quote:
who cares that it's estimated that in this country a man is severely assaulted by his female partner every 14.6 seconds compared to a woman who is assaulted every 15 seconds by her male partner.

[citation needed]

Quote:
who cares a woman is nearly twice as likely to use an object when she assaults a male partner which can increase the level of potential injury.

[citation needed]

Quote:
who cares that despite about 8-10% of male-to-female partner violence is reported, only 1-2% of female-to-male partner violence is reported.

[citation needed]

(though I don't doubt this. It also doesn't say what you think it says)

Quote:
who cares despite the large discrepancy, very few domestic violence centers will cater to or even allow men who are victim to abuse shelter there

[citation needed]

Quote:
who cares men are more likely to be arrested than women in the event the police are called, even if they are the victim in this case just because society has vilified and stereotyped men

[citation needed]

Quote:
who cares women are actually more likely to abuse their children than men are yet are more likely to be given custody

[citation needed]

Quote:
who cares- >_> ok I can't go on anymore but you get the point. it is dumb how one-sided these debates always get and haters only look at one side of the argument

Now thats a [expletive] laugh and a half.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:38 pm Reply with quote
504NOSON2 wrote:

Since I was given required reading yesterday, by HitokiriShadow, I figured I'd give you guys some: The Second Sexism: Discrimination Against Men and Boys.

Being a smug self-aggrandizing twit does not make for good discourse.

And there is no way in hell I am reading your rape apologism Men's Rights lies.
Kaisos Erranon

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:48 pm Reply with quote
504NOSON2 wrote:

Wow, there's being a pretentious knob, and then there's being this.
Good show!
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:57 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:

We are on a forum conversing with each other. How do you fail this hard with basic logic?

A conversation is two people going back in forth. In the past, some people would be having conversations in other languages. THAT is what the rule is against. It is NOT a rule against using other languages in any way whatsoever. The post in discussion was mostly in English and there was a specific reason that one part was not.

Sentence =/= conversation. Is this logic too difficult to grasp?

No, you are the one failing logic. The English only rule is so that mods and admins can do their jobs. If somebody writes something in a language other than English, how can the mods/admins make sure it isn't something that violates ANN rules? Pretty basic concept I would think.
Kastel

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:00 pm Reply with quote
FYI, the Second Sexism is not meant to be sexist; the press on both sides of the spectrum can't read. Philosophers are a better source since they know what the writer's talking about. It is in fact a reasonable argument.

From Metapsychology:

Quote:
Is feminism to be blamed for the second sexism? Benatar does not think so: many of the phenomena mentioned above existed long before feminism arose. He also believes that women have been more severely discriminated against than men in many (but not all) ways. But he argues that the greater severity of the first sexism does not imply that the second sexism should be ignored, since we can (and should) oppose the first and second kinds of sexism simultaneously. Moreover, many of the stereotypes and social mechanisms that feed one of these kinds of sexism also feed the other. Benatar suggests that in order to cope with the hitherto ignored second sexism we should not only acknowledge it but also dedicate much more empirical and philosophical research to this under-explored topic and, of course, try to change many attitudes, social norms, and laws.

From Times Higher Education:

Quote:
He is not a participant in the sex wars but a peacemaker who wants them to wind down. All that he aims to show is that if it is all too often tough being a woman, it is also sometimes tough being a man, and that any failure to recognise this risks distorting what should be everyone's goal, namely universal sympathy as well as social justice for all, regardless of gender.

pls research b4 arguin kthxbai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
504NOSON2
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:07 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:

Kaisos Erranon wrote:
Good show!

My crystal ball shows two removed posts and a week's vacation on Moderation Isle.

Learn to attack the statement, not the poster. It's not that difficult. Really.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:07 pm Reply with quote
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:

Okay here is your fuc**** citation I was raped 14 years ago " I was 13 by a 19 year old fat woman". There do I really need to indulge any more of fuc**** personal life online to get a damn point across.

I was not talking to you. Also somehow I find I don't believe you.

You have not contributed anything of use to this thread in any of your posts. I kindly ask that you stop posting unless you are capable of contributing actual content and not just random blather.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:09 pm Reply with quote
504NOSON2 wrote:

My crystal ball shows two removed posts and a week's vacation on Moderation Isle.

Ok, sure. Second Sexism is a horribly sexist book that exists only to pump up the egos of aggrieved manchildren people I disagree with politically who can't handle that society gives them a leg-up for no other reason than managing to be born with a Y chromosome.

Seeing someone recommend the book basically demonstrates they are not interested in an actual conversation on the subject.

In short, a person I disagree with politically GTFO.
Kastel

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:13 pm Reply with quote
The problem really is that people cherrypick from the book's quotations. From what I read (on the philosophers' side at least), it's merely a nudge to say men have it tough too.

And I'm not a a person I disagree with politically; it is true male conscription is sexist. The reviews from philosophers sound reasonable as hell.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Kaisos Erranon

504NOSON2 wrote:

Ad hominem only applies if I'm actually engaged in an argument with you. I'm not. I'm just calling you an idiot. Smile
Crispy45

Fencedude5609 wrote:
[citation needed]

http://www.bubblews.com/news/383790-domestic-abuse-happens-to-men-too

http://fabulousfemininity.blogspot.com/2009/10/domestic-abuse-when-harm-goes-both-ways.html

-_- please tell me not even you are callous enough to downplay abuse and suffering just to further your own agenda
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:14 pm Reply with quote
504NOSON2 wrote:
Chagen46 wrote:

Kaisos Erranon wrote:
Good show!

My crystal ball shows a mod/admin yawning at your post reports and doing nothing. Let's see who's right!
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 76 of 77