• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime guy crushes?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:

.........I see Roy Mustang and Ashitaka have been mentioned too.
Mmmm agreed~
*also kinda of an Ed fangirl* Anime hyper Tsundere short boy? OH YES, PLEASE.

Anime hyper Glad you agree~ Honestly, now that I'm older, I feel apprehensive about liking the Elric brothers since they're 14 and all that jailbait what not. When I was in middle school? Sure but, now I try to like characters 17 and above. Plus, when I think about it, Ed isn't that short; he's no Taiga that's for sure.

rheiders wrote:

Samon Kusaribe (Blast of Tempest): He's intelligent, practical, and caring. He seems straight-laced but has a theatrical side as well. He spends the majority of the second half of the series face-palming. Also, damn. It's definitely the ponytail. And the shirt.

I see your Samon rocking a ponytail and I raise you a Mashiro in the au naturale. Try topping that~ Very Happy

Fakir is nearly flawless as a character especially in terms of development. The explanation of his jerkass tendencies is well done and you can't help but feel sympathy for him. But, he also has enough comedic moments that he isn't just someone to feel sorry for and is able to handle himself when time gets tough. Ahiru supports him in times of distress and he returns the favor later on so, yeah, he's great. I actually like his design personally.

Kuranosuke (Princess Jellyfish): I enjoyed how flamboyant he is and how he gives no fucks about wearing women's fashion. And he looks great in all of the [ur=http://karice.files.wordpress.com/2011/01/03-02.jpgl]totally[/url] chic outfits he wears. Silly at times but, determined when it comes to achieving a goal such as saving the boarding home where Tsukimi and the other female otakus live.

Houtarou Oreki (Hyouka)-This guy is my spirit animal. I'm rewatching the series and I can't get over how similar his approach to high school mirrored my view back then. Laid-back but manages to notice the little things that others tend not to pay attention to. He's sarcastic but tries to be polite at times. Doesn't like faking emotions esp. when he "smiles" unless it's genuine. He's quite refreshing to watch.

90% of the cast (Hetalia franchise)-I'll just list my top 10 for now: Germany, England/UK, Norway, North Italy, Spain, Sweden, America/US, the Netherlands, Iceland, and Japan.

Also, I agree with Harima from School Rumble- he loves animals (he even looked like Noah in one episode), he's a former delinquent who can physically take care of himself but, is kind towards Tenma and even Eiri, despite being in high school, he looks like a man in his late 20's (like seriously!), and he's voiced by Hiroki Takahashi (who also did Jonouchi's voice).

Quote:
..."red"--the passionate, immature bad boy; and "blue"--the kind, elegant prince. I usually like the "blue" character more; what about other people?

Ehh...it never matters to me cause it depends on how the character is written. If red is just a typical jerk who acts like a hot shot without suffering fro his actions, I end up not liking him. If blue is all prissy and acts like his shit don't stink, then I wouldn't like him either. Same applies to female characters. Balance is all I want or, at least, something that separates that guy from the dozen of other characters who behave this way.
yuna49

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 4:18 pm Reply with quote
As a man, I don't usually have "crushes" on male characters in the sexual or romantic sense, but there are a few guys that I have found very attractive over the years.

I'll start with the Emperor of En from Junni Kokki.

Not only is he incredibly handsome, but he brings a good mix of bravery, smarts, and strength to the table. spoiler[It must be tough to be immortal, though. He's always thirty-five while his various female companions over the centuries grow old and die.]

Next, I think that the Apothecary from Nakamura Kenji's "Bakeneko" and Mononoke is the epitome of cool.

He faces off against powerful demons equipped only with his intelligence, a bunch of charms, and that cute little sword he is holding. Sakurai Takahiro's work in this role gets my vote for the best performance by a male seiyuu I have ever heard.

Like others, I am a fan of Saiunkoku Monogatari well. Though I leaned to Kouyu at the beginning like rheiders, in the end I found Sa Sakujun the real heartthrob in that show. Here he is after he has let Shurrei arrange his hair.

My last nominee would be Chiaki Shinichi from Nodame Cantabile.

He has good reason for his haughty demeanor; he is an incredibly talented musician. Still he does manage to progress from "tsun" to "dere" over the course of the story. I think he grows more than Nodame myself. (My daughter thought Chiaki's live-action performer, Tamaki Hiroshi, wasn't handsome enough to play the role after watching the anime first!)
chichiriNoDa

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 5:13 pm Reply with quote
Well I don't really tend to have crushes whatsoever but I find some of the anime guys as attractive. Their appearances and their personalities.

First off, Ryu Sanada from Kimi ni Todoke. He's oozing with appeal. The silent, laid back-uncaring-quiet, poker faced stereotype guys but in reality they're not that too oblivious of their surrounding. He's a cool/chillax guy! Those chinky eyes, I've always wished I had chinky eyes..

Abe Takaya from Big Windup! - His personality and appearance qualifies him in "guys that I find appealing".. His seemingly bromance relationship with Ren is entertaining.. He's very determined and strategic in baseball sometimes his emotions gets the best of him. That's why he's one of the unusual character that stood out.

Hanai Asuza again from Big Windup - Its more because of his appearance. That shaved head! LoL

Hiei from Yu Yu Hakusho - That mysterious devilish air around this dude. His aloof and estranged personality is way too cool for a short guy! The too cool for school bad ass attitude..

Kurama's Wolf appearance.. The elusive vindictive, cruel and sadistic side of Kurama. It's really appealing!

Tasuki and Kojiro from Fushigi Yugi - These bandit BFF are such a bad asses with their secret goofy password messages.. That dance they do when they see each other. Moreso Tasuki is your cool character that defies the cool apathetic guy stereotype with his funny personality and hydrophobia..

To some extent Amiboshi & Suboshi's relationship - Fushigi Yugi - The bromance/brotherly complex they have. Especially the hot tempered Suboshi's but around his brother he's like a puppy.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
rheiders

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 6:03 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
I'll start with the Emperor of En from Junni Kokki.

Not only is he incredibly handsome, but he brings a good mix of bravery, smarts, and strength to the table. spoiler[It must be tough to be immortal, though. He's always thirty-five while his various female companions over the centuries grow old and die.]

Or, as my friend put it, "He's a very well-drawn man." Laughing

Quote:
Next, I think that the Apothecary from Nakamura Kenji's "Bakeneko" and Mononoke is the epitome of cool.

He faces off against powerful demons equipped only with his intelligence, a bunch of charms, and that cute little sword he is holding. Sakurai Takahiro's work in this role gets my vote for the best performance by a male seiyuu I have ever heard.

The medicine peddler is awesome. Can't believe I forgot to mention him! He's the role that turned me into a Takahiro Sakurai fan.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 8:18 pm Reply with quote
rheiders wrote:
^Actually, JO also points out in the video that "red" characters tend to be more popular in the US fandom, whereas "blue" characters are more popular with Japanese fans. From what I've seen, I can attest to this in quite a few series.

Really? From the manga character popularity polls I've seen (in Japanese magazines), red dominates Japan as well. Anime hyper

I'm slightly skeptical of JO's research though. I don't think she's all that fluent in Japanese....
I could be wrong...but it doesn't seem that way.

Quote:
Honestly, now that I'm older, I feel apprehensive about liking the Elric brothers since they're 14 and all that jailbait what not. When I was in middle school? Sure but, now I try to like characters 17 and above.

Ffff I couldn't care less since they are drawings.
BesuDesu

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 9:41 pm Reply with quote
Umm... Okay just a little divergence from the topic, at the risk of seeming "out of the loop", or whatever, can someone tell me who this "JO" character is? I've heard her name dropped a few times, and she seems like some kinda authority figure around here.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 9:51 pm Reply with quote
I am having a lot of fun reading this thread, it is kind of fun seeing the actual fanning that I too often see mostly from my own gender.

Do I have an anime guy crush? That is ridiculous, it is not like I have a crush on Hugh Anthony Disward from Dantalian no Shoko. Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop
Dreamy blue eyes, with handsome hair, heart melting voice, he is smart and quite cultured but can do what needs to be done when action calls it. I am totally straight! Anime cry

And then there is Hasuta from Haiyore Nyaruko-san, although I don't think this thread was meant for traps, though his bishounen form did not really turn me away any more for some reason.
rheiders

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 9:51 pm Reply with quote
@BesuDesu
Not an authority figure; just a popular Internet anime reviewer. Smile Her videos are pretty interesting. Her website. She's also on That Guy with the Glasses and has been on ANNcast a couple times.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 9:53 pm Reply with quote
BesuDesu wrote:
Umm... Okay just a little divergence from the topic, at the risk of seeming "out of the loop", or whatever, can someone tell me who this "JO" character is? I've heard her name dropped a few times, and she seems like some kinda authority figure around here.

JesuOtaku. She's an internet anime reviewer who got her start on thatguywiththeglasses.com, same as Nostalgia Critic. :'D
BesuDesu

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 9:53 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for clearing that up Anime smile I'll be sure to check 'er out sometime.
Now... back to the topic ye scurvy dogs Twisted Evil
mrmustache

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 5:14 am Reply with quote
When I was younger, I had a huge crush on Ryu from one of the Street Fighter movies. I think it was Street Fighter Alpha and specifically that version because he was too muscular looking in other media.

I also really liked Kenshin from Rurouni Kenshin because he has an interesting back story, has a chivalrous attitude, and can kick a lot of butt despite being so gentle.
Knoepfchen

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 9:07 am Reply with quote
I am conflicted if I feel too old or embarrassed to post in this thread Embarassed Or if I am too happy to switch on pure fangirl mode without restricting myself to care. Ah, what the heck.

I'm not talking childhood crushes here, though, as I grew up without cable (and before there was an internet, at least at my house) and didn't discover anime before my mid 20s. Luckily, the real, non-anime guy in my life has his own female anime crushes and thus shows a lot of patience with me.

I tend to have a soft spot for a lot of characters voiced by Takahiro Sakurai. Not because I love his voice (which I do) or because I believe him to be an especially great seiyuu (which I also do), but because he tends to get typecast in roles I fall for. Kusuriuri from Mononoke definitely getting the top spot.

Also, I think I'm rather predictable. Gimme a dark, ideally long-haired, aloof, snarky guy who

a) wields a katana, and/or
b) is set out for revenge and/or
c) likes to comment on the actions of other (more noble, heroic, or simply moronic) characters around him with ironic smirking, philosophical bantering, or downright disgust, and I'm fan-serviced.

(Which kind of brings back memories of several roles of Takahiro Sakurai already, hehe.)

Moral ambiguity is also a plus. In fiction, that is. In real life, not so much.

And, yeah, then there's Wolfwood. Cool Although I would say I am in love with pretty much all of Trigun's good guys. There are few anime out there with cooler and lovelier characters, IMO. And Sho Hayami just voiced way too many villains afterwards, sniff.

Usually, I'm pretty much blue all the way, myself. They mostly seem more mature to me, thus more fitting.

Last edited by Knoepfchen on Thu May 02, 2013 12:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Chiibi

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 9:41 am Reply with quote
Knoepfchen wrote:
I tend to have a soft spot for a lot of characters voiced by Takahiro Sakurai. Not because I love his voice (which I do) or because I believe him to be an especially great seiyuu (which I also do), but because he tends to get typecast in roles I fall for.

Hehehe YES...
Sakurai's voice is so....gah, there's not a good enough word for it. When I found out he was going to play Shigure in the drama CDs from Watashi Ni XX Shinasai a.k.a. Missions of Love, I just about died. Because that's exactly who I wanted for him!!

Speaking of Sakurai....I find it ironic that people in here who prefer blue guys still really love Fakir from Tutu.
I think he's red all the way. He's a more subtle red but compared to Mytho who's unquestionably blue he is definitely the red boy in the MythoxAhiruxFakir love triangle, wouldn't you think?

Or is it because he's still a very mature character? Mature reds?
Apparently they exist. Anime hyper
(Anime Takuto is also a mature red...I feel...because he's actually very level-headed compared to his manga counterpart. Love both of them though)
keiwa11

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 1:36 pm Reply with quote
I guess one of my first anime crushes was Spike from Cowboy Bebop Seriously, who could not fell for this guy? He's got everything a proper guy should have, he's funny and I like the way how indefferent he tends to be. Renji from Bleach This red-haired guy with tattoos all over his body is very sensible even though he seems very tough, I especially liked the scenes from his childhood with Rukia . Hikaru from Ouran Host Club hah why not Kaoru as well? Hikaru was way more impulsive than kaoru and I liked scenes with Hikaru and Haruhi when there was a love tension, or when Hikaru was jealous of Haruhi's former classmate, it was obvious he liked her! Though I never knew who I wanted her to be with. Wink
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 11:48 pm Reply with quote
keiwa11 wrote:
I guess one of my first anime crushes was Spike from Cowboy Bebop Seriously, who could not fell for this guy?

Well.....this is going to sound shallow, but I do not like afros. Anime hyper An afro is possibly the least sexiest hairstyle a character can have...and for me, hairstyle plays such a big part in a person's attractiveness.

This might sound less shallow: He hates animals.

.........what kind of human being hates animals!? >:I

Yeah, I don't really care for Spike....but I didn't really care about the whole series either. It's very overrated.

*dodges the flying rocks* >_>

Last edited by Chiibi on Sat May 04, 2013 11:59 pm; edited 2 times in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4