• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Tokyopop Manga License

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
championferret

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 1:13 am Reply with quote
Whoo, that's a relief. *is a major tactics fan who cried at the news that ADV probably wouldnt release past volume 2*
I just hope that Tokyopop, unlike ADV, dont feel the need to reverse Sugino's gender...
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 5:15 am Reply with quote
Kagemusha wrote:
As for Loki, I wouldn't bet on it, as it was poorly recieved, not to mention poor sales (which means nothing considering Aria didn't sell very well). I guess if the anime has sold well they'd consider it, but I have no idea about that.

Meh, ADV is a bunch of idiots who think licensing only the sequel of a manga is a genius idea. The fact that Tokyopop is going to release Peacemaker and Aqua gives me hope, especially since TP has released a bunch of crap in the past that had no fanbase here what so ever. Plus Peacemaker and Aqua, along with Tactics, are all from the same publisher as Loki, which means Tokyopop may have some sort of relationship going on with MagGarden. That, and Tactics is by the same author. If Tactics does well enough, they may consider the title.

T.T I'm having a hard time importing the Singapore verison of the manga. They have it in English there, but no one wants to export.

Glad about Tactics though. ADV wasn't doing a great job translating it, and some of the graphic editing was crap.
Hanatarou

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 11:14 am Reply with quote
Just glad to see someone picked up the ball that ADV dropped. Thanks TP.
smoochy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 5:28 pm Reply with quote
Yes!! Aqua! Maybe if it does well enough, ADVManga will release the rest of Aria for us. I just wonder when the first volume of Aqua is going to be released?...
Wolverine Princess

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 5:46 pm Reply with quote
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but is Tokyopop going to start off with the third volume of Tactics, or will they re-do the first two volumes?
Peebs

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 2:54 am Reply with quote
It comes as a surprise that TP is releasing Gakuen Heaven. Their BL imprint, Blu, has no mention of having acquired this title yet. I guess it's too soon to put it up on their website.

I have the Japanese tankoubon and I can say (from what I can understand since I don't understand Japanese) that it differs greatly from the anime. The anime has all the bishies and just the...disturbing elbow licking (which I can see how it directs back to the manga which involves more than elbow licking by the same guy) for those of us who love BL.

Another BL manga that was tentatively licensed by TP (my guess, again, is their imprint Blu) is Sex Pistols which was/is being scanlated by Nakama.

It does make me very happy that they'll be releasing Busgamer and Wild Adapter. *fans self*

I do hope that TP does tactics the justice it deserves. I really like the two volumes that I read but it sucked that ADV didn't continue publishing the rest of the volumes.

Well, that's my two cents on this discussion. Anime smile
Wolverine Princess

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 3:12 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I just hope that Tokyopop, unlike ADV, don't feel the need to reverse Sugino's gender...

Really? I never would have guessed. Did ADV make any other stupid edits?
DriftRoot

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 8:14 am Reply with quote
Very Happy Wooo Wild Adapter! Or rather, Wooo Minekura Kazuya! I was once told that it's not good enough to like something "just because you really like it." Excuse me, but I'm not going to stop liking something because I can't wax eloquent on its profound merits, particularly if they're scarce.

*sniff* I'm still suffering from the loss of a fabulous Wild Adapter hooded sweatshirt at Anime Boston that I wanted just because of the artwork on it. That is the last time I ever pass over a one-of-a-kind item in the dealer's room just because it's $10 more than I think I should spend. Mad

I wish she'd hurry up with Gaiden and, for that matter, get Saiyuki/Saiyuki Reload/Saiyuki Reload Gunlock off the train-wrecked tracks. It's so insufferable!
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 10:25 am Reply with quote
Wow. People sure have strong opinions.
I LIKE You Higuri's stuff. Elbow licking a turn-off? No worse than stuff one sees in regular anime-sword-licking, etc. (And being 46 yrs old, I've heard about far worse in real life. Medical mishaps segments of radio shows are usually good for a few laughs at how far some idiots will go for a thrill-like the fool in the hotel swimming pool-Florida, wasn't it?) I even picked up the Poison artbook from Anime Gamers. I want to see that Ramen Prince story they mention in the encyclopedia.
And I Saiyuki's one of my fav manga & anime-still pre-ordering every volume. So they switched from ADV which plays a bit fast & loose with translations & dubs (Does ANYONE think Illich Guardiola sounds like Hiroaki Hirata?) to Bang Zoom which has long been my fav group. Saber Marionette landed a different cast for each English dub & 2 of the dubs were by Ocean. So the guys are getting nowhere fast-isn't that the original story's case?

As for Ragnarok-I'd think if Tactics does well Tokyopop would pick up Ragnarok since it's by the same artist. I prefer the Tactics anime to the Ragnarok anime because it's darker, more shaded. Sugino as a former human (white tengyu)has no trust nor love for humans, warning Haruka repeatedly monsters & humans don't mix. Why they changed Sugino into a chick in the manga was beyond me since that made Muu male & latching onto Kotarou?
nenene

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 5:26 pm Reply with quote
Did my eyes fool me?

They've picked up Aria as well.

This is THE news I've been hoping for from any manga company announcement!

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!!!

(Now if only Del Rey would pick up YKK, my happiness would be complete)
Crawly

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 7:16 pm Reply with quote
nenene wrote:
Did my eyes fool me?

They've picked up Aria as well.

Sorry to disappoint, but it isn't Aria they picked up. It's the story that comes before Aria that's set in the same world, "Aqua." ADV mentioned that they're still working on Aria, but until I see another volume on the shelf at Border's, I won't believe it.

Or did something change and I just not notice?
CorneredAngel

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 7:45 pm Reply with quote
Crawly wrote:

Sorry to disappoint, but it isn't Aria they picked up. It's the story that comes before Aria that's set in the same world, "Aqua."

Once we got our notes in order, what they said at the panel was that they will be releasing Aqua, and that "Aria is to follow."

Unless Tokyopop says otherwise, I'm going to assume they mean they have both, but will run through all of Aqua first before releasing any of Aria.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Crawly

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 8:41 pm Reply with quote
CorneredAngel wrote:
Crawly wrote:

Sorry to disappoint, but it isn't Aria they picked up. It's the story that comes before Aria that's set in the same world, "Aqua."

Once we got our notes in order, what they said at the panel was that they will be releasing Aqua, and that "Aria is to follow."

Unless Tokyopop says otherwise, I'm going to assume they mean they have both, but will run through all of Aqua first before releasing any of Aria.

Not that I'd mind it at all, I just think it's odd because ADV said they were still working on it and this is the first time I've seen this come up. I can't help buy wonder if the person taking notes mixed up "Aria is to follow" with "Aria follows Aqua" meaning in continuity.
BorgmanJayce

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 5:03 am Reply with quote
I'm surprised nothing was mentioned as far as I know at AX concerning TokyoPop supposedly looking at doing a re-release of the Sailor Moon manga [altho if they did, I'd love for them to do a all-new translation with proper names and based on the new version released around the time that the live-action version was shown] as well as do a release of Sailor V.

On another note, I'm just surprised that Del Rey's never considered picking up any of Miss Takeuchi's non-Sailor Moon manga considering how tight their parent company is with Kodansha...
Crawly

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 11:20 pm Reply with quote
BorgmanJayce wrote:
I'm surprised nothing was mentioned as far as I know at AX concerning TokyoPop supposedly looking at doing a re-release of the Sailor Moon manga [altho if they did, I'd love for them to do a all-new translation with proper names and based on the new version released around the time that the live-action version was shown] as well as do a release of Sailor V.

They've talked about this several times before, so I suppose no one felt the need to bring it up again. They no longer have the license, as it has expired. Getting it back is basically impossible at the moment, no matter how much they want it, because of issues on the Japanese side. The blame likely lies with Takeuchi herself, for whatever reason, as she has full control of the property now.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4