• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Sailor Moon Anime Delayed

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:26 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
NJ_ wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
If there's already a bum fight over the "new" anime, as this seems to be implying, why don't they just clean up the originals and re -release them with subs. Personnally as long as Kadokawa keeps releasing the manga I don't care when the anime gets released.

First off, it's Kodansha, not Kadokawa.

As for "cleaning up" the original anime, Toei already did that back when the original R2 DVDs came out over a decade ago (and was re-released back in half-season box sets in 2009-2011 with the exact same discs). The only thing they need to do now is a Blu-ray release which judging by their track record for older shows, won't be happening anytime soon (if ever) for the series but could happen for the movies at least.
I knew it was one of those "K" publishers, cheers for that. As for the re-release of the anime, was that the complete uncut series, and did they include subs? Wink

It was the complete uncut anime, and no, it did not include English subs.

The ADV and Pioneer boxsets of the Japanese version of the first 4 seasons/movies had English subtitles, but it was not remastered. However, a recent Chilean release of Sailor Stars did include English subs and the remastered footage.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:32 pm Reply with quote
I know that this isn't going to be popular but I like the DIC/Cloverway dub. It was a well-done dub and I had no problem with the edits. I'll tell you guys this. If there were an attempt to do an American version of "Sailor Moon,"just about everyone here would go ballistic. While I wouldn't have a problem with that,others would.
And that's a shame. It might be really good. It doesn't matter to me who does the dub of "Sailor Moon" just so long as someone does it.
Mizuki-Takashima

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:29 am Reply with quote
If they're going to release the new anime world wide, wouldn't they just do an online Simulcast thing like what FUNimation does for One Piece?

I mean it would make sense; FUNimation has been super hush-hush about whether or not they've acquired rights for Sailor Moon (while they most likely meant the old anime, it could still mean the new anime too) and they already do simulcasts anyway.

Plus, idk about you guys, but most non-anime-lovers I've seen really loathed Sailor Moon. Or they liked it because "lol hawt chicks in mini skirts". That isn't to say that Sailor Moon airing on a mainstream network wouldn't create a new generation of anime fans, but...I just think it'd probably be kind of hard? It'd have to be good, but also really marketable, and not "too strange" or "too foreign" or anything.

..sigh I'm starting to sound like a 4kids exec
TitanXL

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:38 am Reply with quote
Mizuki-Takashima wrote:
Plus, idk about you guys, but most non-anime-lovers I've seen really loathed Sailor Moon. Or they liked it because "lol hawt chicks in mini skirts". That isn't to say that Sailor Moon airing on a mainstream network wouldn't create a new generation of anime fans, but...I just think it'd probably be kind of hard? It'd have to be good, but also really marketable, and not "too strange" or "too foreign" or anything.

..sigh I'm starting to sound like a 4kids exec

The market has changed. Cartoons thrived in the 90s but these day's it's live-action sitcoms like iCarly and Victorious that have everyone's ratings and money. Plus I imagine the stricter censorship doesn't help. I'm still amazed they showed Nephrite being impaled by Zoicite's monsters in the original 90s dub. Granted it was toned down, but they still showed it. There's no way that would ever fly today.
Mizuki-Takashima

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:05 am Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
The market has changed. Cartoons thrived in the 90s but these day's it's live-action sitcoms like iCarly and Victorious that have everyone's ratings and money. Plus I imagine the stricter censorship doesn't help. I'm still amazed they showed Nephrite being impaled by Zoicite's monsters in the original 90s dub. Granted it was toned down, but they still showed it. There's no way that would ever fly today.

That's true. (Glad I'm not crazy or nothin'!)

Yet for some reason, shows as strange as Adventure Time and Regular Show manage to do really well, and get away with a lot.

Then there's The Hub, which I think is one of the most popular kids network right now, even with all the girly shows (though perhaps just with the younger kids, plus it's not even on cable or anything)

Sailor Moon's new anime might do alright on Cartoon Network if the adverts put more emphasis on the whole "fight gross monsters, save the world" thing. (Basically what Toonami did) As you said though, dunno if they could "get away" with much =/

spoiler[Then again the new anime might be less violent because they have stricter censorship in Japan nowadays, though not nearly as strict as ours is]
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:41 am Reply with quote
Titan is right, all those horrid tweencoms have sadly taken the attention *& IMO rotted the minds* of the Y2K generation. Yes we still do get toons that get popular, AT, MLP, Regular, but animation is having a tough time trying to get as much love from kids as it did back in the 80's & 90's. Although I do love the irony of there *Potentially* being more teens & adults watching cartoons then kids, thats kinda neat.

However I do think a TV airing of Sailor Moon would be nice, even if it doesn't bring in a new generation of kids, we old hats can still enjoy watching it on CN/HUB/Nick/Toonami/whereveritendsup.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:37 pm Reply with quote
Mizuki-Takashima wrote:
spoiler[Then again the new anime might be less violent because they have stricter censorship in Japan nowadays, though not nearly as strict as ours is]

It depends on the time-slot it gets. You see worse in Naruto, but if it gets something like a Fairy Tail timeslot (no blood, only boobs) then it depends.

Sailor Moon was never that gory to begin with though. spoiler[The Senshi's deaths at the end of the first series were more 'beautiful' than graphic. Posed on crystals with sparkles and other shoujo-esque stuff.]
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:20 pm Reply with quote
I know quite a few non-anime fans who fondly remember the show, and some who even still find ways to watch it. The show wasn't quite as big as Pokemon, but back in the late 90s, it's popularity easily rivaled DBZ's (who's popularity height was actually in the early 2000s when Sailor Moon was ending). She's a classic, and for god's sake, she even appeared on The Price is Right: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ip1ChzJA9wI

Both iCarly and Victorious have ended, but Disney ones like Shake It Up and Jessie (which I actually saw a little of, and kinda even enjoyed it) are huge right now, though not quite as huge as Hannah Montana or Lizzie McGuire were... I'm sure the biggest cartoon on right now is still Spongebob.

While I don't have a problem with some Americanization (actually, I prefer a script to be a little spiced up instead of sounding stale like a straight translation), I think DiC, Cloverway, and Optimum (the actual studio in charge of production of the dub, like Ocean or Bang Zoom) went a little too far with it, but I suppose it's understandable, given the times. 4Kids' One Piece dub is probably an extreme example of too much localization and the Odex dub (for those who've seen any of it) is probably an extreme example of NOT ENOUGH localization (among countless other problems). The FUNimation dub is a nice balance. It still feels like One Piece, and it still retains all the original flavor and characterization, but it took some creative writing to do so. If they went the Odex route, the characters would sound stale and lifeless.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 10:40 pm Reply with quote
I wonder how much of the original cast will be reprising their roles. I guess we can safely assume Mars and Pluto will have new actresses, right?
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 1:31 pm Reply with quote
I've been hearing a lot of attacks on how DIC/Cloverway dubbed "Sailor Moon" into English. I'm here to defend that. "Sailor Moon" has been marketed toward young girls at seven years of age. I can see why it would be edited in such a manner. Also,they have the parents to consider. Many of them feel that the culture is trying to undermine the values that they teach their kids. And they don't want their kids watching things that are too violent or controversial.
They don't want their kids traumatized by seeing their favorite superheroes die or wondering why one woman is in love with another woman or a guy is in love with another guy. While I agree that Japanese culture is different than American culture,I think that it should be done in a way that it's acceptable in our culture.

I suspect that many of the people attacking the dub aren't parents themselves. Maybe if they were,they'd feel differently. I'm not a parent myself but I can understand their feelings. I'm not faulting DIC/Cloverway for doing the best they could do under the circumstances. There are plenty of unedited material of "Sailor Moon" for those that want to watch it out there. There are uncut "Sailor Moon" DVDs out on Ebay and Amazon for those that want them and there's also Youtube and other places like that that have "Sailor Moon" unedited. I wish those people who criticize the way DIC and Cloverway did their English dub would consider the feelings of parents who don't want their child's innocence taken away simply because an angry group of selfish fanboys and girls feel that their favorite anime wasn't done their way.
One of the hardest lessons to learn in life is you can't always have everything you want. Even I have had problems learning that lesson. I wish that those who criticize the way that DIC/Cloverway did their dub of "Sailor Moon" consider how parents feel. And I wish they would because one day,these people are going to be parents and they might feel differently when they have kids than they do now.

Last edited by Snomaster1 on Fri May 03, 2013 4:07 pm; edited 6 times in total
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 2:24 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
I wonder how much of the original cast will be reprising their roles. I guess we can safely assume Mars and Pluto will have new actresses, right?

Tomizawa apparently retired in 2001, but she she has at least sporadically appeared in anime and video games since then, and as recently as 2012.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 11:19 pm Reply with quote
I can see the Japanese Mars returning maybe, but not so sure about Pluto. A new Kunzite of course is guaranteed though.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 11:28 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:

Sailor Moon was never that gory to begin with though. spoiler[The Senshi's deaths at the end of the first series were more 'beautiful' than graphic. Posed on crystals with sparkles and other shoujo-esque stuff.]

Precure regularly get beat up as badly as the Senshi ever did.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 8:27 pm Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
I can see the Japanese Mars returning maybe, but not so sure about Pluto. A new Kunzite of course is guaranteed though.

As well as Star Fighter certainly.
zeo1fan

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 11:31 am Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
Mizuki-Takashima wrote:

It depends on the time-slot it gets. You see worse in Naruto, but if it gets something like a Fairy Tail timeslot (no blood, only boobs) then it depends.

The manga was gorier.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9