• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
RDG: Red Data Girl (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 1:54 am Reply with quote
I was hoping it would be spookier with more mystery and atmosphere, plus it tends to get a little confusing at times.
foxinthestars

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 7:36 am Reply with quote
This show is still my second favorite thing of the season (after Gargantia) --- if nothing else, a relatively calm showcase of Japanese supernatural types is something that interests me --- but I do get the sense it won't let me in as deep as I'd like. It's like it's so intent on what it's doing that it forgets people are supposed to be watching it. Which is probably a fancy way of saying it's a little confusing.
Key

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 10:22 am Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
I have to say this story is a swirl of conflicts and motives that are hard to track. Not only do you have the humans with all their disparate clans, but you have these spirits and deities showing up with centuries-old agendas. I totally didn't get that esoteric conversation between Himegami and that kabuki actor dude. Could someone explain it?

Speaking as someone who's on the episode 5 track, I don't think we're meant to understand it at this point. So much more is going on here with Himegami than has been revealed (the spoiler["make sure I don't manifest or it'll be the end of humanity"] comment was certainly rather alarming, but it also may explain the monk father's distress over her announcement in ep 3 that Izumiko would be the last body she'd inhabit), and I'm liking the air of mystery about it so far. I'm also liking the whole "people with spiritual powers are the endangered species" approach and how that connects to the series' name, and the approach to the mysticism used here is refreshingly different, too.

Basically, the episodes that Funi has shown so far have impressed me quite a bit in just about every respect. At this point this is easily one of the season's best, but I also can't see it being a big success; in fact, I'll be a little surprised if it doesn't flop in DVD/BR sales.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 10:43 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Speaking as someone who's on the episode 5 track, I don't think we're meant to understand it at this point.

That is true, I mean they have not even introduced the time travel thing yet, and the reveal of the team pet who has actually been manipulating events that was sent by aliens.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 11:47 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
At this point this is easily one of the season's best, but I also can't see it being a big success; in fact, I'll be a little surprised if it doesn't flop in DVD/BR sales.

Well, as long as it doesn't go the way of Hiiro no Kakera, which at this point I see as a real danger. Beautiful art, animation, acting, and score and at the end of it all the Priestess Who Had No Clue Until That Moment* says "poofy" and it is all over.

* is that a trope? if not it should be.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 11:53 am Reply with quote
I can't believe anybody would dare mention RDG and Hiiro no Kakera in the same breath. Please punch yourself in the face. Wink
Key

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 12:19 pm Reply with quote
While I wouldn't advocate punching oneself in the face, I otherwise completely agree with Blood-'s statement. One only needs to watch about five minutes of each to realize which one is the immensely better of the two.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 2:21 pm Reply with quote
A spoiler[showdown with Takayanagi.]
That was interesting to watch.
He was just a bully who was hiding behind others.
spoiler[Masumi] is an interesting guy with interesting powers.
At least spoiler[the student council elections] can be fair and peaceful now.
Guess things are never gonna be peaceful in that school...

[EDIT: Episode references are required for this thread when giving spoilers. - Key]
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 3:46 pm Reply with quote
I think my problem is that the show hasn't made clear why any of this matters. The characters seem to think it's all very important, but I'm not privy to that gravity. It's one thing for the mystery to be "what is happening?" but a show which makes "who cares?" the mystery can be really tough to follow.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 6:19 pm Reply with quote
Um, it "matters" because Izumiko is adorable in twin-tail braids and glasses. Duh.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 9:34 pm Reply with quote
Episode 05

YAY, Miyuki's "dere" FINALLY emerged! :'D
About freaking time.

Blood- wrote:
Um, it "matters" because Izumiko is adorable in twin-tail braids and glasses. Duh.

She is cuter without glasses, imho. Anime hyper But a cute lil' girl either way. I liked how she was staring at Miyuki while leaning on the fence and then quickly looked away when he noticed. Anime hyper
SOMEBODY's got a crush....hee hee Laughing
Rhyono

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 10:11 pm Reply with quote
I keep getting stuck on her being 15; she looks 12. Everyone else looks old enough, it's just Izumiko that looks too young.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 11:56 pm Reply with quote
Rhyono wrote:
I keep getting stuck on her being 15; she looks 12.

I know. SHE'S A FREAKING MITSUKI CLONE
Who is also 12. Anime hyper
That is a crappy pic so you might not be able to tell from just that...but if you heard them SPEAK at the same time, you'd be like "...holy sh...."
The resemblance is uncanny in both looks and voice. Personality....not so much.

Oh, I am kinda late in saying this, but did anyone pick up on the ED song being sung by a singer from Lemons and Oranges? Most well-known would be the OP and ED from Azumanga Daioh

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Masumi_Itō

I knew it as soon as I heard RDG's Yokan the first time. Her voice is so odd....NOBODY else in the world sounds like that. Anime hyper
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 12:52 am Reply with quote
Well it is probably her pigtails that make her look rather young, the braids are mostly used on children and everyone seems to point out that it strange.

I guess I did notice that the ED shared quite the musical similarity to Raspberry Heaven from Azumanga Daioh, but in honesty I probably recognised similarities most with the ED from Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita that she also did. Her songs to be quite recognisable, although I am not really a big fan of it, I find the song strangely grating, although at the same time I feel that they fit in well.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 10:43 am Reply with quote
I'm not sure why but it seems that long braids are associated with 'country bumpkin' in Japan. The heroine from Kyou Kara Koi Wo Hajimemasu got made fun of for it too.
Blah to that, on Izumiko, I think it's cute!!

Quote:
I find the song strangely grating, although at the same time I feel that they fit in well.

I feel the same way. Anime hyper
Yokan is probably my least disliked song by her....but I'm not a fan of her.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 5 of 10