• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are you watching right now? Why? (please read 1st post)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thenix

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 12:25 pm Reply with quote
Finished watching Ultra Maniac.

Currently watching Knight Hunters (because I blind bought the series from goodwill for $20)
Chihayafuru season 2 (because the first season was so good)
My Life is a Romantic Comedy (because it looked good and is good)
and Last Exile (Because a friend recommended it because it was steampunk and it looks beautiful)
Sleverin

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 11:44 pm Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
Ages ago, I saw the first half of Tower of Druaga (aka the Aegis or Uruk). It was a fun fantasy series that was troperiffic at times and enjoyed the hell out of it.
So I've finally seen the second half. Oh and they usually have better stories that don't completely phone it in at a whim. And they at least try to mix up some tropes instead of clearly labeling characters with heal face revolving door syndrome.
After the simple fun of the first half, and some of the fun at the start of this arc (one character from the first half spoiler[opened a ski resort and buttered up investors by promising to call them a "hero who defeated Druaga", changing the number on the billboard 1984 style], that was pretty damn funny actually), it just got really really boring despite fight scenes happening all the damn time. It could be that there didn't feel like there was any weight to the fight scenes, they were all pretty one sided and predictable in the end. Seeing how the heroes got curb stomped in the first episode of the first half, it always felt like they had to make effort to win their battles during the first half, often having to get people outside their party to help like they were trying to take down a huge WoW boss. Here, they spoiler[have to re-battle and defeat the first half big bad (actually the mid-boss) again, which is claimed to be weaker], but it just ends up coming off as killing a red shirt. It just ended up leaving a bad taste in my mouth that never really left during the rest of the season, making all the fight scenes pretty boring to me. Even though the first half ended on the world's most obnoxiously obvious cliffhanger, this is somehow the half that pissed me off.
So I'm stuck recommending the first half for being fun to watch and not the second half, despite it completing the story.

Well, I'm glad I saw this zawa, I was wondering how the second half panned out. Seems like you and I enjoyed the first series for the same reasons, which is good. That second part sounds pretty weak though, which is too bad. I was really hoping that they would make that ending work a bit better but I guess not.

Flag stands as my current anime show. After hearing about it through one of the podcasts (with that fellow from now former Bandai) as to how well it sold in Texas, I thought I'd give it a try. So far it's been quite good, the animation style is rather interesting and the choice of narrative style is probably what has interested me the most. Being a documentary of war essentially, they have the perspective constantly from the camera of the two main characters, or from their computers at times. Though the computer segments usually are to indicate a shift from character to character or to a different time. I've been finding it really interesting being a watcher of how these main characters operate as photojournalists, and how their lens captures the world they watch, but never reveals much about themselves. Though there are times when the characters, through their own personal narrative, explain their thoughts and feelings. Not only that, but the series can have some rather gripping moments, despite the fact that there's a serious lack of direct combat footage. There's definitely been some action scenes, and certainly it becomes very gripping in the anticipation of action, but whoever made this definitely is more interested in the personal relationships of these characters to their subjects, instead of just blowing stuff up.
ailblentyn

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 10:18 pm Reply with quote
Currently feeling that Nana is slow and lacking (about 12 episodes in), that Shiki is gloriously terrifying (4 episodes in), and that Master Keaton is pretty great (10 episodes in).

I really like Keaton as a character, the way he is low key. And cool without acting cool, or being enigmatic. And I appreciate the care in the writing (and maybe it's all from the source material). I liked the scenes in one episode that revolved around reconstructing Keaton's mother's Summer Pudding recipe. And I'd really like to find out what the Japanese script actually says at the end of that episode — a line that's translated in subs as "Bake until soft" (or something similar). Of course Summer Pudding is not baked, and given the care that had gone into the story up till then I'm wondering whether this inaccuracy is due to freedom in the English translation. Confused
Crisha

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 12:03 am Reply with quote
Sleverin wrote:
classicalzawa wrote:
So I'm stuck recommending the first half for being fun to watch and not the second half, despite it completing the story.

Well, I'm glad I saw this zawa, I was wondering how the second half panned out. Seems like you and I enjoyed the first series for the same reasons, which is good. That second part sounds pretty weak though, which is too bad. I was really hoping that they would make that ending work a bit better but I guess not.

Yeah, I recently saw both seasons, and I felt the 2nd season was way weaker than the 1st. And the ending was like many typical Gonzo shows, where it just all falls apart.

There was one thing I really liked about the 2nd season though, and that was Fatina. I commend Gonzo for how they handled her character - she became my favorite thing about the 2nd season. While many other characters were going through a character decay or were boring, she grows up and matures into someone who's more admirable than the fangirl of the 1st season.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ailblentyn

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 5:11 pm Reply with quote
Shiki... So good! So good! So good! It doesn't need high action when it's dripping with so much mood. And the symbolism as I'm reading it (the death of the community = the depopulation of the Japanese countryside) gives it extra power.
kayue

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 12:39 am Reply with quote
Watching this season:

Karneval - it should be better (it has all the best elements - bishies of both sexes, great costumes, Circus) it feels a bit of a retread. Stlll, Nai the kid/animal is so darn cute, i'm still watching.

The Devil is a Part-timer - good art & damn funny.

The Severing Crime Edge - uh, fetish anyone? This is so weird, its good.
Alexiya777

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 8:56 am Reply with quote
[EDIT: This is not an image board. Please post actual text about what you're watching along with some comments or reasons about each choice. -TK]
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 10:05 am Reply with quote
Yesterday I started watching Doki Doki School Hours. A woman named Mika Suzuki works as a teacher at Okitsu High. However, her very short stature and kiddy appearance makes her hard to be taken seriously. I'm finding Mika's interactions with all of her pupils to be quite interesting and, in many cases, even hilarious to the max. Smile
keiwa11

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 11:19 am Reply with quote
I'm currently watching Baka and Test, episode 3 and I wonder if they get class A's furniture after all. Surprised
zawa113

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 11:47 am Reply with quote
So I finished season 2 of Natsume's Book of Friends but this was entirely because both seasons were released together. I probably would've dropped it after the first season had it not simply come with season 2. I had high hopes for this series overall, but it just felt like wasted potential at every turn to me. I think it's entirely because I didn't feel Natsume connect with either people or yokai, he was just kinda observing (despite clearly having an active role in helping them, more often than not). It made Natsume boring for me as he clearly had internal struggle, but it was never properly explored. Now, in Kino's Journey, Kino directly states the intent to merely be an observer, but the places Kino goes and the things seen left me with pause for thought, which Natsume's Book of Friends lacked. In the end, it just left me so disappointed because I think it had the ingredients for greatness, similar ingredients to Mushishi and Kino's Journey if you ask me, but it never challenged the viewer or developed the characters enough to keep my interest and the visuals didn't make up for it either (and I hated half the soundtrack). It actually reminded me most of Aria at the end of the day (wasn't a big fan of that either, though the visuals and music were nice). For the people who adore Natsume and think I sound crazy, more power to ya, it just didn't do it for me. I'm going to sell my set once the Premium Ed. goes out of print. I guess some things don't work out in manga or anime form.
Knoepfchen

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 6:10 pm Reply with quote
I just finished No.6 which I had wanted to see for quite a while now. I rated it “good”, although I felt it was a mixed bag with some very powerful (and much better than just “good”) moments and a very beautiful mood throughout, but it lacked in terms of plot building and execution.

Positive:
- The general setting being of my favourite (utopian/dystopian) kind
- The relationship of the main characters, its development and the sensitivity and sincerity it was being told with, making me care about the characters a lot
- The general melancholic mood the series carried throughout, full of atmosphere
- Nezumi, who added a fresh sensitivity and wittiness to the aloofness his (very pleasant) character design obviously requires (isn’t that right, Kanda?)

Negative:
There’s a whole lot of talking going on between Nezumi and Shion of how they want to spoiler[destroy No.6 and/or save the people within from the moment on when Nezumi helps Shion escape] in ep. 2. Then, for several episodes (equating to several months time within the story), they aren’t really doing all that much in terms of preparing themselves or doing anything to achieve their goals. Only when spoiler[Shion’s friend Safu is in sudden need of being rescued] the moment arrives there when they actually start doing things. There might be some things happening off screen, since they do tell each other about their progress and setbacks, but we don’t actually see it happening. This kind of storytelling might work a lot better in a novel, and since this anime is based on a series of novels, it makes sense, but it would still have been nice to actually see them trying to come closer to achieving their goals. The same goes for the spoiler[emotional confessions about how important they are for each other and shaped each other’s lives, made them who they are]. All very moving because beautifully worded and staged with the atmospheric melancholy this series breathed throughout, but less powerful than it could have been had we actually see Shion spoiler[develop any form of interest in … anything] before we see and hear him thanking Nezumi for giving him the freedom to do so. Again, this might work better in a novel, but in a visual medium, I kind of want to see things happening, not just being told.

Still, the good outweighed the bad for me here by far.
Comet Reaper

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 6:22 pm Reply with quote
I actually have a couple reasons for going back in history and watching Medabots right now. I had just finished watching Death Note spoiler[I thought it was a great anime, just really serious and sad at the end] so I wanted to watch something a but "lighter". I also was feeling nostalgic after re-discovering my old Medabots Gameboy games (sorry about that part, I know it doesn't directly talk about anime) After that, I'll probably go on a binge of watching short series, like Devil May Cry, Sands of Destruction, Soul Taker, etc... until I nail down another long commitment. Smile
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 5:59 am Reply with quote
Caution: This is a personal opinion of the series Little Busters. If you're a die hard fan, stop reading right now and move on.

There's an old saying: "Be careful what you wish for. It may come come true."

This series can easily fall within this warning, and like many, I did wish for it. Now that we've received it, I wish I could cancel my original wish.

First, a little background. I've never seen any of the original source material for this series. As a figure collector, my attention was grabbed with Kudryavka figures, because they were pretty cute. I did hear this was a Visual Key work, so I'm thinking it's along the lines of Clannad and Kanon.

Boy, was I ever wrong. Now, I'm sure there's going to be those same [censored for their sensitive eyes] who'll object the series is bad because it was done by JC Staff, but these are the "purists" who believe manga should be delivered frame-by-frame exactly as they know it, so their opinions mean little to me.

What I expected from the show was a group of friends who build a baseball team, with the overused "here, time to cry now" story arcs to get people to feel something for these characters.

Except, I couldn't feel a thing for any of them. They're all just so lame, it's rather pathetic. Of the original Little Busters, we're given a mish-mash of different personalities that, in the real world, would not work together.

In fact, the male "lead", Riki, turns out to be a guy! Yes, I thought Riki was a female for most of the first half, until someone pointed out "he was a he".

By episode 12, I had enough of the gaggle of girls, of whom only one knew how to play baseball. It's clearly evident this show's audience doesn't care about actual friendships in real life, and instead, want the fantasy roles these girls provide viewers by pretending life works this way.

I'm one who can easily defend Clannad and Kanon for its delivery of stories, because they were done well enough to keep my attention. Little Busters fails in this regard, because there are no stories to deliver here.

If the formula is "Get girl, watch her cry, then turn happy", I'm done with this pile of garbage. By episode 12, we were only given one of these sad stories, as the crew picked up 3 more girls.

To be fair, especially to those who live for this series, I expected far too much from it. I'll take full blame on this one, as I should have done better research, but at the same time, I shouldn't have had to do so much of it as to ruin whatever experience I should have enjoyed with it.

It's truly a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation for those who want to watch it, but don't want to be exploited in doing so. With that, I recommend highly to these potential fans: spoil the show by reading about it.

You'll probably save yourself the time of having to mire through this crap.

As for the works of JC Staff, once again, people have no idea what they're talking about unless they're (once again) ripping on how the adaptation wasn't letter perfect, which has always been ridiculous to me.

The animation was decent, though clearly they weren't given the same budget as KyoAni would have had. Quite a bit of pan & scan shots in this, which is something I've not seen in a while of a new series. Thankfully, it's sparse, but to the point it becomes too noticeable.

I still enjoy the character designs, obviously, but not even they can save this one.

I'll stick to buying the figures.
thegoanna

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 5:47 am Reply with quote
Ha, well I do post occasionally and yes generally in a fit of posts.. then I hide for a while again!

So what have I been watching?....

1. One of the best anime I seen for a while.. Bodacious Space Pirates.. Has me hooked, Simply love its easygoing and amusing episodes..
Love the theme Mungan No Ai.. have it downloaded from U tube.. very energetic group of young ladies sing a most catchy song.. love it..
The show is simply a heap of people having fun and getting into all sorts of adventures.. In space, at school and the pirates nest.. Large cast of interesting characters. Simply Marika and friends has me Captured, Bodacious Audacious style! I rated this Excellent.

2. 12 Kingdoms, found this in my QuyickFlix DVD video catalog, watched 3 DVDs and then bought the full Box set on ebay so i could see it faster haha!, Was dubious the first 2 disks but I got into it at disk 3. In the end,? well it was OK, I rated it VG. Lots of reviewing past episodes could be got rid off and save 2 disks haha!.

3. Yumeiro Patisserie and the pro season as well. Lots of laughs , adventure, discovery interesting "food battles" like Iron Chef but different of course. Enjoyed all the characters and the sweets fairies, 60 something episodes later and I'd had a good time, rated this excellent.

4. Aria all 3 seasons, sadly first watched them out of sync, and things didn't quite make sense for some reason!. When I realized I eventually re watched them all in sync,- much better. A Peaceful, series, of fun and adventure, and self leaning.
Simply 3 trainee Undines learning their craft (not a pun) under the three great "Undine fairies". Lots of interesting characters, the Cat presidents, and the King of Cats all make for a good story. I rated this Excellent.

5. In this group also, I watched From Up On Poppy Hill (Kokuriko Hill), the latest Ghibli product. Well I got into this right away, Love the story, and the characters, and yes its a love story. It has heart. The closing song is marvelous, by Aoi Teshima, Her textless ending theme is an extra on the disk.
Simply well done Goro Miyazaki! Well done Ghibli!

You may disagree.. I really don't care, I gave it Masterpiece Smile

Thats it for now.. Back in another 6 months to continue the saga! haha!

Cheers all.
kookykonata

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 6:35 am Reply with quote
I've been watching lately:

Haiyore! Nyaruko-San W- I loved the quirkiness and energy of the first season, and Can't get enough of Nyaruko herself. The show is just too funny.

Oreimo 2- Who isn't watching the second season of this wonderful series? I love how it focuses on more characters than just Kirino (Even though I really like Kirino!)

Attack On Titan- This show is just flat out amazing. The story is compelling and different, the art style is like a mix between the 80's and today, and the titans are genuinely terrifying. It has a great way of conveying the emotion in each episode, and it always leaves me at the edge of my seat for more!

Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt (Dub)- I'm mainly watching this to see what all of the hype is about. So far it's a bit too out there for me...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 763 of 1061