• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Valvrave the Liberator (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:36 am Reply with quote
Wow, episode three was completely moronic.

Apparently Jior is the weakest of the three despite having a huge land area and the populations of China, India, Japan, South-East Asia, half of Africa, Australasia and all of the Pacific.

Dorssia are clearly the evil guys since they have Russia, Eastern Europe, the Middle East (including Iran) and Libya. It's the Axis of Evil, yo (heh). Yet they primarily speak German just like good Space Nazis do.

ARUS (or whatever their name is) was formed from trade agreements yet they do not have Australia and New Zealand despite both countries being big on trade (New Zealand actually invented the [url=en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trans-Pacific_Strategic_Economic_Partnership]Trans Pacific Partnership[/url]).

L-Elf managed to pull off a ridiculous escape plan. Let's see the flaws in it, shall we?

---Undid a screw with his fingernail.

---Flicked screw with his wrist so fast it completely shattered the only light in the room.

---Caught shards of glass (which was clearly not safety glass) in the dark.

---Using glass he undid his ropes in like two seconds (and seriously, what military would use rope in this day and age, let alone the future?).

---Took out all those guys.

---Managed to override airlocks to do what they weren't supposed to.

---Managed to conjure dozens of missiles out of his arse to kill the space fighters (he must have a black hole in his black hole).

---Created a smoke bomb big enough to enshroud a massive ship.

---Knew that said ship would panic and crash just from smoke.

---Knew in advance to the minute the exact time when all of this would have finished by.

---So he can see the future along with all his other abilities.

Why L-Elf needs Valvrave and the kid is beyond me, he seems to be pretty over-powered already.

Then we have the hacker girl who built a fort from cardboard in a school; didn't anyone notice? At least she had the decency not to wear much on her legs.

Haruto was allowed to just chill out by the military dudes and was not given any tests, nor did he undergo a debrief.

The students were apparently the only people in the entire colony who were being evacuated.

The plot is merely a mashup between Mobile Suit Gundam, Gundam SEED (we even have five pretty-boy soldiers, one of whom is a Yzak look-alike who gets wounded in the eye; yay for recycled tropes) and Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion (the old "let's overthrow an evil empire before we are old enough to get our driver's license" routine).

This is from the first episode, but a Dyson Sphere surrounds an entire star. Yet that would be ridiculous if one was used in the show. First off, it requires a ridiculous level of technology. Secondly, the scale is all wrong. Jior's Dyson Sphere looks to be illuminated by a sun only several hundred kilometres in diameter (if that), which is absurd.

It's a shame the third episode is so stupid since the second episode was actually kind of cool. But as much as I look down on the show, I probably will still watch it just because it's Mecha.
Knoepfchen

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:25 am Reply with quote
I've settled for continuing watching this a bit longer for now, even if I'm still unsure if it will be for ironic reasons or not.

L-elf's spoiler[escape] was hilarious. If they keep this up, it will get hard to top things pretty soon unless they bring out the Third Impact trump card like spoiler[Code Geass] did. The way things are going so far, it seems like even something like this might be too small for this show. The finale will be fun, if I will still be watching by then, that is.

I really enjoy Ryōhei Kimura, though, I already liked him a lot in last season's Sakamicho no Apollon and Robotics;Notes.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:04 am Reply with quote
L-elf's escape had me in stitches. It's clearly not meant to be taken seriously, so why would I? This show has broadcast quite clearly that it will revel in over-the-top silliness right from the start. That's definitely supposed to be part of the fun. I guess some people still aren't receiving the memo.
foxinthestars

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:52 am Reply with quote
I don't get that feeling; some of the war atrocities are depicted with a certain misplaced sensitivity and skill. Not to say they didn't intend it to be funny, just that if they did, they missed the mark with me personally. Yes, for example, the guy screaming "ERU ERUFU" in his fit of rage was hilarious, or the BMOC yelling at gun-toting military occupiers about his cell phone --- but was that one supposed to be funny, or is it supposed to reinforce how important the phones are in these people's lives, or both, or what? I just can't quite get comfortable laughing at it all. For me, Valvrave hits a sort of unhappy medium where it's too serious to really laugh at and too laughable to take seriously, but it's also too perversely fascinating to drop just yet and manages to stay that way episode after episode. I can admit some grudging respect for that.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:02 am Reply with quote
As you say, that is your personal take. What I try to determine is ... do the writers intend for me to take this seriously? My own interpretation is that they are fully aware of how over-the-top many of the elements are and want people to enjoy it on that level. Of course, just because that seems to be their intent doesn't mean everyone is going to react that way, as you can personally attest.
rheiders

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:11 am Reply with quote
Episode 3 was hilarious. Laughing

This show is weird. It's like it's self-aware but still taking itself seriously at the same time. I'm not sure how to feel about it, although now that I think about it Code Geass was kind of the same way. Whatever, guess I'll just do what I did with CG--turn my brain off, sit back and enjoy the ride. And possibly lose some brain cells in the process.
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 8:04 pm Reply with quote
Oh I'm getting Code Geass vibes again after episode 4. Why? Because of the plan for spoiler[L-Elf related to his revolution] with the help of Haruto.

In regards to other characters, I find Akira a bit similar to Frau from Robotics;Notes. Also, an important note in this episode is that Haruto's spoiler[power does not work if he doesn't bite through actual flesh.] Not sure how this will interfere or not but seems to be an important point.

Anyways, episode was alright. I actually enjoy this series now. The politics and military tactics are starting to interest me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 8:08 pm Reply with quote
Can't.... look.... away....
nightjuan

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 9:09 pm Reply with quote
I want someone to look me in the eye after episode 4 (including the preview for 5) and then tell me this show is trying to be genuinely serious. Razz

Other than that...I actually have no objections to the route the story is taking. Either it'll work out somehow, in spite of all the potential objections, or it'll all come crashing down in their faces. No matter what, it sounds like the outcome might turn out to be entertaining enough.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 10:51 pm Reply with quote
Wow this episode was just random and weird, and not in a good way. I know Dtm42 is going to have a good time posting about this episode. A school becoming a new spoiler[country/state is just plain dumb. It only worked in Code Geass because Lelouch actually had an army behind him and his geass powers would solve most problems. But all they have is one godlike robot and a Dorsia soldier that wants to rebel.] Despite that I won't drop this because I actually enjoy watching this.
nightjuan

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 10:55 pm Reply with quote
WhiteHairGirls wrote:
A school becoming a new spoiler[country/state is just plain dumb. It only worked in Code Geass because Lelouch actually had an army behind him and his geass powers would solve most problems. But all they have is one godlike robot and a Dorsia soldier that wants to rebel.]

Code Geass? This is getting closer to Infinite Ryvius (aka: Lord of the Flies in Space). Not completely identical though.

Also, I'd say owning a super powerful vampire robot does count for something. And so does having a One Man Army/Brigade around. Laughing

But I fully expect things won't go as easily as the students think. They'll run into problems sooner or later, craziness or no craziness.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 11:00 pm Reply with quote
nightjuan wrote:
WhiteHairGirls wrote:
A school becoming a new spoiler[country/state is just plain dumb. It only worked in Code Geass because Lelouch actually had an army behind him and his geass powers would solve most problems. But all they have is one godlike robot and a Dorsia soldier that wants to rebel.]

Code Geass? This is getting closer to Infinite Ryvius (aka: Lord of the Flies in Space). Not completely identical though.

Also, I'd say owning a super powerful vampire robot does count for something. And so does having a One Man Army/Brigade around. Laughing

But I fully expect things won't go as easily as the students think. They'll run into problems sooner or later, craziness or no craziness.

Well I only mentioned Code Geass because it was made by the same person.
Divineking

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 1:45 pm Reply with quote
I was warned in advance at how ridiculous this episode was and it didn't disappoint. THAT WAS FRIGGIN GLORIOUS!!!Laughing

There are so many holes in their "independant school country" plan it's insane, and the fact that Shoko's a politician's daughter makes it even more so, but it was just so over the top I can't help but laugh and be amused at where this is all headed. Also they really weren't subtle about evil politician being evil and took it as far as I hoped. It was pretty obvious last ep but this week just sold it. They seriously should have given him a mustache and had him twirl it when he was planning to abandon all those kids.

On a random note while I probably shouldn't have found it funny, that soldier asploding in the beginning of the ep was so obviously telegraphed I couldn't help it. Especially when they made it look so ridiculous.

And so this continues to be the most entertaining show of the season, even if for bad reasons. Keep up the good work Valvrave. Very Happy
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 2:06 pm Reply with quote
Haruto - L-Elf relationship is interesting.
Looks like Haruto really is special when it comes to his mecha.
He was also lucky to be alive.
spoiler[ARUS have their agenda] in this whole situation.
Guess spoiler[trusting adults] is not a good idea this time.
So far, L-Elf seems to be the only rational one.
Space fight was nice to watch.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 3:02 am Reply with quote
this anime is getting more ridiculous than Code Geass R2, but i have to watch it now.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 7 of 32