• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Large or small, anime breasts.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 10:26 am Reply with quote
Past wrote:
Was my high school really the only one in the world that was like that?

In reading the comments, I see people get to shower with gym shorts on and take in towels as well. Things sure have changed, as we didn't have this option.

Showers were mandatory, and when we walked in, our shorts were tossed into a laundry cart. On the way out, we picked up our towel from the table (which we'd play jokes and take all the towels).

While no one said anything while in the shower, this wasn't the case once we were out of the shower.

I'll be honest to say I've no idea what it's like in school today, but clearly things have changed.
Polycell

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 10:29 am Reply with quote
Throughout my school years, I remember exactly one guy using the showers(which were pretty much just there, presumably for the athletics kids - I don't remember so much as a mention of the things from the teachers); underwear tended to stay firmly on. I base this on experience from two, maybe three districts(can't remember if I took gym in tenth grade or managed to weasel out of it).

EDIT: Accidentally a word.

Last edited by Polycell on Sun May 05, 2013 11:13 am; edited 1 time in total
ailblentyn

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 11:07 am Reply with quote
We were supposed to have showers after gym, and this was enforced in the first year to inculcate good habits. But after that there rarely seemed enough time. The next class would be across the school starting in two minutes and I'd have to run.
Plus my friends and I were never terribly enthusiastic about gym, so we usen't really to need a shower anyway. You don't get sweaty by hanging back, snickering with your mates about the teachers, and calling "Your ball, partner" whenever anything heads your way.
What annoying little creeps we were. Laughing

I sure never saw anyone showering in shorts, though!
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 11:25 am Reply with quote
Nobody showered in middle or high school as far as I can remember. You just changed, did your thing in the gym, changed back, and went to the next class.
ailblentyn

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 11:45 am Reply with quote
Speaking of bathing and bodies, I have an anime shower question that I ask from time to time and have never got a satisfactory reply to:
What's with putting one hand on the hip when downing a drink after a bath?
It's a jokey topos of some kind. The stance is explicitly prescribed by Sumomo in Chobits as part of the bathing protocol. And the joke is made visually in Nadesico, A Certain Magical Index and a host of other places I can't remember now.
What's the joke exactly?
Key

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 3:06 pm Reply with quote
It's just something that's become an anime trope over time, ailblentyn; some series a couple of decades back probably did it as a joking take-off on the way one of the production staff members (or someone that one of the staff members knew) had been seen doing it and it just stuck and got repeated over the years as a standard gag. A similar bit is a certain kind of reaction involving opening a can of beer, chugging it, and then slamming it down on the table with an exaggerated "whew!" (Neon Genesis Evangelion is the earliest series I can think of which does this, but I don't know if that's where it originated.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 3:23 pm Reply with quote
I know that drinking practice dates at least to Urusei Yatsura, if you recall that one sento episode. Like most anime tropes, it's probably been in Doraemon at least fifty times before that as well.
Riddley

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 3:37 pm Reply with quote
Anyways, back to boobs...

Can anyone think of a harem series where the successful female is the sexpot with the big boobs? I'm excluding movies here.

The only one I can think of off the top of my head is Ryoko from Tenchi Muyo, but even then she was more tsundere than sexpot...
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 4:48 pm Reply with quote
The problem with that question is deciding who wins in a harem anime. The answer is usually "no one, because the main character never decides and everything is left ambiguous". Selnia from Ladies Versus Butlers gets close enough to count, if you disregard the enraging lampshade ending.
Hitokiri Kenshin

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 10:20 pm Reply with quote
Riddley wrote:
Anyways, back to boobs...

Can anyone think of a harem series where the successful female is the sexpot with the big boobs? I'm excluding movies here.

The only one I can think of off the top of my head is Ryoko from Tenchi Muyo, but even then she was more tsundere than sexpot...

I'd say when Sekirei ends that will, unless by some weird chance Kusano gets an age upgrade. Watch episode 2 of Pure Engagement, it has something funny relating to it.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 9:18 pm Reply with quote
Riddley wrote:

Ryouko was definitely designed to be "the full-figured sexy one" if you compare her to the rest of the girls in the series. Some of them have figures similar to hers but she's the only one who really flaunts it proudly. Anime hyper I never thought of her as a tsundere though because she was nothing but dere-dere with the guy she loves. The "tsun" was never there. She is kind of tsun-tsun with Washuu and Aeka, I guess....but I only count a character as tsundere if it's with his/her love interest.....or everyone in the series.

......OH.

Ren from DearS.
spoiler[ Biggest breasts. Gets the guy. If you finish the manga, she was the one who truly won Takeya's heart in the end. True all the other DearS cling to him but Ren is the only girl whom he says "I love you" to.]
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 10:08 pm Reply with quote
^
You finished the Manga of DearS?

You've got more courage than most people I know.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 10:20 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
^
You finished the Manga of DearS?

You've got more courage than most people I know.

Whaaaat? :<

It turned out to be a decent manga...if you can ignore the fanservice. And after hanging out with guy friends whose favorite anime genres were ecchi and harem, I am practically immune. Rolling Eyes

Well, no, that's not true. I can be immune to fanservice if I like the characters or pairings enough.
If I don't like them, get that trash outta my face! Anime hyper
But I actually liked the DearS characters, and I liked the artwork, and I liked Ren and Takeya together. And sometimes (er, most times) the jokes were pretty funny. Though yes, it was embarrassing to buy DearS manga in the bookstore because of the covers.... Rolling Eyes

It was kinda....hilariously awkward when my dad saw volume 01 lying around (that has Ren with her hand in the middle of her F-cup breasts on the cover)

Him: This yours? o_o
Me: [Friend's name] left it here.
Him: Damnnn, so this is the kind of girl [name] likes, huh?
Me: ......um....*awkward laughter*

Last edited by Chiibi on Mon May 06, 2013 10:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
wcsinn

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 10:28 pm Reply with quote
I think there are numerous examples in harems where a girl with a normal to large bust gets the guy, but first I have to take issue with the post that got this started (not commenting on series I have not seen):

Series that confirm this:

Aria the Scarlet Ammo - agree
B Gata H Kei - just how is this a harem? Yamata is the only girl he is interested in and vice versa
Ben-to - not a harem and the Ice Witch is hardly small busted
C3 - agree
Chobits (technically) - again, not even close to a harem, no other love interests
Clannad - not sure I'd call it a harem, but either way Nagisa has the same figure as all the other girls
Dance in the Vampire Bund - not close to a harem, no other love interest
Dantalian no Shoko - definitely not a harem
Evangelion - not a harem, and Shinji does not choose any girl, Asuka would be the leading candidate and she's hardly flat-chested
Gosick - so not a harem, ZERO other love interest
Gurren Lagann - not a harem, Simon has a slight, very short crush on Yoko at the beginning when he was a kid, other than that it's all Nia
Ichiban Ushiro no Daimao - finally, a harem but Junko is NOT flat-chested and none of the girls are overly busty
Kore wa Zombie - yeah, there is one big busted girl, never a love interest and the two love interests are both flat-chested
Mayo Chiki - not sure this qualifies as a harem, but the only really large busted girl is Nakuru who is not a love interest, the other girls have relatively 'normal' figures, with Usami (the flat-chested love interest) losing out to Subaru big time
Rosario Vampire - jeez, Moka is hardly flat-chested
So I can't Play H - so Lisara isn't as big busted as Mina, but again hardly flat-chested
Toradora, Working!!, Yosuga no Sora, Zero no Tsukaima - agreed

Aversions:
Cat Planet Cuties - while Eris & Manami are well endowed, especially compared to Aoi - Kio clearly chooses no one
Full Metal Panic, Highschool DxD, Kanokon, Ladies vs Butlers - give you these
Kamisama Dolls again, not a harem, you can't count the crazy one from the village as a love interest
Listen to Me Girls, I'm Your Father - really? a harem, he only has one love interest
Medaka Box - again, no other love interest, hence not a harem
Sora no Otoshimono (although opposite in Forte) - really, Tomoki never shows any romantic interest in Nymph, the only small busted one

Likely Possible:
Asura Cryin - both girls are well endowed and roughly equal
Bleach - Bleach is a freekin harem? good grief

Close series left Unsorted (I am not sure where to place them):
Highschool of the Dead, - hasn't chosen bewteen Rei and Saeko, and they are all huge breasted, so does it matter
Infinite Stratos - he clearly prefers Houki, the largest breasted one
Negima - OK, no clear winner here
Shuffle - have you seen it? This is the clearest cut example of the protagonist choosing a girl out there, and early on. Also, only Primula is smaller busted - the other four are very equal.]

To answer the question of other series where the guy ends up with a big-busted girl:
Sekerei, Ah My Buddha, Ah My Goddess, Bakemonogatari, Freezing (not sure it's really a harem though), He Is My Master, Hyakka Ryouran Samurai Girls, Love Hina, Maburaho, Maken-ki (doesn't actually choose, but his preference is pretty obvious), Samurai Harem, Seikon no Qwaser (not the biggest, but not bad).
Chiibi

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 10:35 pm Reply with quote
wcsinn wrote:
Maburaho,

Haha well....if you remember the ending....
spoiler[EACH girl got a Kazuki....so we don't know who the original Kazuki chose...(though I'm pretty sure his choice would be Yuna who has normal-to-large-ish breasts but she doesn't have the biggest ones, that's for certain.]

Same goes for Love Hina: Naru doesn't have the biggest either.

I DID think of two others where a D-cup girl (at least) wins though:

UFO Princess Valkryie
and
Steel Angel Kurumi

..........and both are by Kaishaku....OOOH, WHAT A SURPRISE... Rolling Eyes
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 10 of 12