• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Necroposting.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 1:55 pm Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
Which was why I posted that those very old threads should be deleted once they meet a quota of inactivity.

I actually asked Admin. about that, once, but they told me to just leave the threads be. Apparently, all the extra threads take up very little memory in the database. Not to mention it'd be a lot of cleaning, organizing, and separating for all the relevant/non-relevant topics, which I, frankly, am a bit too lazy to do at this point.
4KidsFan

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 3:47 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
At any rate, the simple solution to an "old" thread being locked would be to just make a new one. It's not to say you can't discuss old topics.

I would prefer if they be made in that thread, especially if one is just a couple pages long until it fills up a lot. Making a new thread especially if an old one is like a couple pages long just seems ridiculous to me and if that's the case with a lot of old threads that are rather short then we'll have a lot of new ones crowding up the place. If some one makes a thread about an anime show, and it lasts a couple of pages and I come across it many months later, why would I make a thread on the same thing? I just find it better to use what's already there, especially if it hasn't been used that much. Buy hey, if this is how you want to do things so be it. There's nothing I can do about it so I won't complain anymore.

Ambimunch wrote:
On the other hand, 4KidsFan, there is no point arguing here, each forum has its own little rules that you just need to memorize. Its no big deal really, there is no point to waste energy and argue such trivial matters. Im sure you'll get used to it quickly

Thanks. I guess I can let this go. It just seemed a bit unfair and just needed to have my say in it.

Rhyono wrote:
But did you complain about them?

Me complaining was not an issue. It was rather reasonable, especially for a newcomer that's never seen this be the case on other forums where old threads are worthy of a revival no matter how long it's been inactive for.
Dessa

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 10:47 pm Reply with quote
Wait, there are forums that allow necroposting? I have never been on a forum that allows it, and most are less lenient than here.
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 12:15 am Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
Wait, there are forums that allow necroposting? I have never been on a forum that allows it, and most are less lenient than here.

Tons of forums encourage necroposting. They move your posts to topics from 2004. The policy states that all discussion of certain things should be done in the designated forum thread, and all the older posts, even if 7+ years are still relevant and count as opinions that should be noted. Its sometimes difficult for me to be part of numerous forums and adapting to the contrasting policies lol
guildmaster

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 3:09 am Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:

As I stated, I revived a 5 year old thread on another forum, but that was a technical forum and the issue remains relevant.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 4:34 am Reply with quote
Earlier this year I promised myself that I wouldn't post again until I had accomplished a certain objective. I am going to temporarily break that vow because of the importance that I attach to this thread.

Tony K. wrote:
jr0904 wrote:
though what about doing a reply to a thread that is over 2 months old at least?

Depends on the thread, really. My main area of surveillance is the Anime forum. I think the general consensus for most of those topics range around 6-8 months before being considered "old."
[...]
But yeah, I would say 2 months is absolutely fine for any of the general forums like Anime, Manga, Music, etc. Talkback, I'd probably give no more than a couple of weeks, solely because the site posts so many articles with so many corresponding threads that they get pushed to the back pages relatively fast, and who really talks about old news, anyway?

When I started this thread (way back in November of 2010!) one of the reasons for doing so was to attempt to establish some consistency in the enforcement of the rules. It would appear now that some inconsistency is creeping back into the enforcement of the rules. Please compare the above quote with what another moderator wrote on the 1st page of this thread:
Key wrote:
My general standards on necroposting are as follows:
[...]
I'll generally count it as necroposting once a year has passed unless the new posts have strong and still-relevant content.

I respectfully posit that the two views that that I've documented here constitute an inconsistency (albeit a relatively minor one). Am I wrong?
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 5:26 am Reply with quote
Okay, a year, then...
jr240483

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 2:13 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
I actually asked Admin. about that, once, but they told me to just leave the threads be. Apparently, all the extra threads take up very little memory in the database. Not to mention it'd be a lot of cleaning, organizing, and separating for all the relevant/non-relevant topics, which I, frankly, am a bit too lazy to do at this point.

True enough since i am an owner for an otaku forum.

though if i was an admin for ANN i wouldnt not mind at all doing that since i dont have a lazy bone in my body. and it would definitely solve the necroposting issue.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Rhyono

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 10:15 pm Reply with quote
In this case is it considered acceptable over making a new thread for that anime or is it unacceptable because it has been nearly 3 years?
egoist

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 10:20 pm Reply with quote
It's okay since it's only been a month in my mind.

I mean it's okay since it won't generate much discussion therefore better attached to a larger related thread.

Teasing aside, check here animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=28479

It's funnier to watch people break rules, but if you want a tip, simply apply common sense. I know it sounds common, like common intelligence, common facts like Earth is spherical. Earth isn't a sphere.
guildmaster

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 6:40 am Reply with quote
nbahn wrote:
Earlier this year I promised myself that I wouldn't post again until I had accomplished a certain objective. I am going to temporarily break that vow because of the importance that I attach to this thread.

Not to pry, but what has you all tied up (and don't say egoist!)? working on your masters or something like that?

Last edited by guildmaster on Tue May 14, 2013 12:46 am; edited 1 time in total
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 7:00 am Reply with quote
I had no idea that that egoist is into BDSM..... Laughing

You may pry; I reserve the right to ignore you.

I am studying for my Cisco certification in computer network administration; I've taken the classes -- now I need to take the actual examinations themselves. First there is the CCENT examination; then there is the CCNA examination. If I do well enough on those, then landing a job should be a cinch.

I think.
I hope.
*crosses fingers* Embarassed
guildmaster

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 10:41 am Reply with quote
^^ Well good for you. Stay on it, and yes it will help.
A Mystery

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 3:08 pm Reply with quote
Best of luck nbahn Smile.
Rhyono

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 3:20 pm Reply with quote
Cisco's questions are phrased to be as vague and tricky as possible.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 5 of 11