• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Cowboy Bebop on the Esquire Network?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 5:37 pm Reply with quote
I'm sure everyone knows by now that G4 is being rebranded into a men's channel known as the Esquire Network this summer. For those who don't know about the news, here's some info. Esquire is the name of a men's magazine that's very well-known here in the US (mainly targeted towards men who like fashion and cars), and NBCUniversal decided to change the G4 channel's focus to cater toward the people who mainly read Esquire (as least that's what I've read). That pretty much gave me a brainstorm. What if that new channel decided to lure geeks into watching the channel and air anime again? If they did, I think the most likely candidate would be Cowboy Bebop. Think about it, the main character, Spike Spiegel, dresses like a male model, and the show has a lot of action (which most men like), so I see this likely happening in the future ; that is if the Esquire Network truly establishes itself as a primary competitor to Spike. Your thoughts?
EricJ

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 7:21 pm Reply with quote
CastMember1991 wrote:
I'm sure everyone knows by now that G4 is being rebranded into a men's channel known as the Esquire Network this summer.

Shocked
I didn't. That would be rather one of the Year's Dubious Achievements, though.

(When a cable network tries to abandon its previous failed format in favor of something a "new" demographic would watch, is it okay if I admit I'm a male who's never seen Spike TV, and never really found anything on it to watch?
I watched the XPlay series when it was on G4, though.)

As for "Will the old G4 that ran Crest of the Stars ever come back?", though, think most of the current Adult Swim Envy among the new flood of 18-24 "guy programming" channels has permanently deep-sixed that.
Last time I watched G4, they were still doing those interstitials showing Gamerz geeks getting all, like, mad 'n stuff and going into DBZ Saiyan-powerup fantasies, huhuh...
partysmores

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Ouran High School Host Club. The channel is aimed at metrosexual men, right? They're going to love how gorgeous the guys' appearances are.

Uhh...uhh...I have no idea, because I'm not metrosexual and don't know many anime based off guy's appearances.
EricJ

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 9:56 pm Reply with quote
partysmores wrote:
Ouran High School Host Club. The channel is aimed at metrosexual men, right? They're going to love how gorgeous the guys' appearances are.

Uh, no. Metrosexuals (who now have to call themselves "Frasier-sexuals" now that the gay community didn't understand and co-opted the name Confused ) watch the Food Network, History Detectives and Charlie Rose.

Ouran is aimed at tween girls too afraid of real males to go out with one, and prefer to dream about unthreatening gender-ambiguous ones who always carry roses.
Not actually "gay" in the literal sense, but wayyy too close for jazz for Spike or Esquire. Shocked
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1