• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Oreimo (TV) - both seasons and ONAs.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DKL

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 10:51 am Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:

This. Why is it so supremely difficult for some people to understand that Kyosuke cares deeply about his sister, just not in a sexual way?

That's what the mountain of doujinshi is for.

Also, I have siblings and have experienced what it's like when you grow apart...

What usually happens is that you just grow apart and there (usually) isn't anything convenient around (like... eroge... I guess?) to make the relationship closer.

(and if there is... it's probably not gonna be something as flashy as eroge or anime... it might turn out to be something simpler, like birdwatching or something, but nobody is interested in watching a show about birdwatching)

And when it turns ugly, it's not very tsundere... there's actual venom going on between the siblings (then you look back on it a bunch of years later and realize that it was kinda stupid, assuming all parties exit adolescence more or less unscathed... but then you get into the thorny issue of family politics, which may or may not involve money, and this is probably another story for another day).

That said, honestly, insight into the feelings surrounding family growing apart is... not actually why I watch this show.

(this is why I watch the show: http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a342/dklreviews/ScreenShot2013-05-05at85048AM_zps59234bb3.png )

Though it is kind of fun to talk about implications of incest given that... it's a show whose premise is a pair of siblings who use incest eroge to try to build the broken relationship between them back up.

May mistakingly read that as a desire to sleep with each other (Kyosuke asks himself at one point: why do I have to play games where you sleep with the little sister character with my little sister?), but it's hard not to given that all the trappings of otaku culture (where siscon is a "thing") hang around all over the place.

The show constantly tries to make this distinction between reality and 2D, but it's hard to buy into when the reality depicted in the show is very 2D-tastic (as was the case in the Ayase episode: the joke was that Kirino was essentially "cheating" on her with a virtual version of Ayase that's not actually radically different from "real life" Ayase... so it's very puzzling when everyone goes "that's weird" later on when the character in question is essentially emulating... herself).
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 3:15 pm Reply with quote
cant say I really care for Kyosuke acting like a jealous teenage girl, but it was a pretty good episode. didn't expect to see spoiler[Bridget]again.
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 11:53 am Reply with quote
First off, I'm 30 pages late but lets try to keep the light novel spoilers to a minimum. Even with spoiler tags you know some people are gonna look. Try to keep stuff to what has been seen in the anime. We know that you are excited but its not fair to ruin that same excitement for others. They have the rest of the internet to search and find out. Let's keep it to the anime here. Plus we have the manga and novel forums for that kind of talk.

In regards as to why they play up the whole "brother possibly loving the sister" side in a more romantic light is cause its actually a common dramatic plot device in Asian media. Step-siblings falling in love, cousins with different family names, the added bond of sibling like affection combining with romantic affection etc etc. It's on the level of forbidden romance or the sense of true romancing overcoming society's view on love. Simply its just a protective brother who finally reconnected with sibling and wants to protect that connection. But the fact that plot device is there adds to the chemistry, expectations, or mood of the series.
Key

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 1:39 pm Reply with quote
DKL wrote:
That said, honestly, insight into the feelings surrounding family growing apart is... not actually why I watch this show.

(this is why I watch the show: http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a342/dklreviews/ScreenShot2013-05-05at85048AM_zps59234bb3.png )

Can't argue against this logic. She's always been my favorite character in the series, and she looked so darned adorable in that dress. Of the available options, she's the one that I'd most want to see Kyosuke paired up with, although I'd feel sorry for Manami in that scenario.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 5:00 pm Reply with quote
TatsuGero23 wrote:
Even with spoiler tags you know some people are gonna look.

Then that's their own problem. No one is forcing them to look.
Ignatz

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 12:37 am Reply with quote
I think there should be a general rule that things from manga/light novels that are ahead of anime shouldn't be talked about in anime thread (even in spoiler tags).
DKL

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 1:03 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
although I'd feel sorry for Manami in that scenario.

She's already dead.

(and by dead, I mean friendzoned)
Polycell

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 1:17 am Reply with quote
Ignatz wrote:
I think there should be a general rule that things from manga/light novels that are ahead of anime shouldn't be talked about in anime thread (even in spoiler tags).
MAL includes a big fat warning at the start of every episode thread and people still spoil things that are way off. Some people just refuse to accept other people enjoying the show.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 10:32 am Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
Ignatz wrote:
MAL includes a big fat warning at the start of every episode thread and people still spoil things that are way off. Some people just refuse to accept other people enjoying the show.

I try my best to use spoiler tags when able but even I mess up, I want to apologize for doing so.

Putting this issue aside I normally don't like to ship two characters that are not legitimately together. Despite this I really like shipping this couple below, any-thoughts guys??

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DKL

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 11:05 am Reply with quote
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
Despite this I really like shipping this couple below, any-thoughts guys??

Chiibi

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 11:52 am Reply with quote
Lol, I hate Kanako so I ship her with no one. Rolling Eyes

But this episode was pretty good...even if some parts were a little...."uncomfortable".

GOOD FOR YOU, KURONEKO. I'm happy for her and her doujin. Anime smile
I want to sell doujinshi myself some day...

Oh if that guy at the end is really Kirino's, she has bad taste. Anime hyper
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 12:06 pm Reply with quote
I want to be okay with this, but that Bridget girl is like 10, I am really fighting back the urge to go gaga over it. I have to start to stop looking at it.Anime smallmouth

I googled it. Anime cry
pic 1 pic 2

I could almost go for it as much as a yuri coupling of a certain magical girls. What would you know.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 3:07 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
I want to be okay with this, but that Bridget girl is like 10, I am really fighting back the urge to go gaga over it. I have to start to stop looking at it.Anime smallmouth

I googled it. Anime cry
pic 1 pic 2

I could almost go for it as much as a yuri coupling of a certain magical girls. What would you know.

I normally don't go gaga over it either but like you pointed out with the fan-art it seems I'm not alone. Well anyways I hope the next upcoming episode is going to be good as the last.
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 6:08 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
TatsuGero23 wrote:
Even with spoiler tags you know some people are gonna look.

Then that's their own problem. No one is forcing them to look.

TatsuGero23 wrote:
We know that you are excited but its not fair to ruin that same excitement for others. They have the rest of the internet to search and find out. Let's keep it to the anime here. Plus we have the manga and novel forums for that kind of talk.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 6:28 pm Reply with quote
Who the hell is trying to ruin anything? It's not like anyone is going

KIRINO DIES IN THE END!!!

I agree that any prolonged discussion of the novels should go in their respective forum, but if some one wants to tease about future events, or reply to a question whose answer is contained in the light novels, there's no problem if it's properly spoiler tagged.

If you look at the spoiler and find out something you didn't want to, that's your own responsibility.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 30 of 56