• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 1st 2 Madoka Magica Films' English-Subtitled BD Trailer Streamed

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lilly_938

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 8:41 pm Reply with quote
Anime hyper
Preordered already!
Can't wait for the 3rd movie!!

One thing though, it's not "Connect" (tv OP) playing in the trailer, it's "Luminous" (movie OP).
EnigmaticSky

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 8:54 pm Reply with quote
I still am torn on whether to get this. I have the collectors editions of the series... but if I don't get it then I miss the extra content (even if it is a little).
icepick314

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 8:55 pm Reply with quote
as much as I would LOVE to get Madoka Magica films on blu-ray, $90 and $100+ is too much for me...

I HATE Aniplex's pricing scheme as they treat blu-ray as something rare instead of making more affordable (say around $50 for LE and $30 for regular) and do more marketing to sell more than just handful copies at $90 and $100+...

If I see it much cheaper than $100, I would DEFINITELY buy it but Aniplex's price is just too much for me...

maybe unless I win lottery, maybe then I can afford it...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Mikeski

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 8:56 pm Reply with quote
I would like to thank all those having their pronunciation argument.

For the first time in... ever, I think, we got to page two of an Aniplex thread without someone starting a pricing argument!

(Edit: and I almost submitted this in time!)
DTJB

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 10:58 pm Reply with quote
Some third option of distribution better be in place if they expect me to pay THAT much for a pair of movies, even if it is Madoka we're talking about.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 11:38 pm Reply with quote
A majority of fans do not/cannot say Japanese titles correctly. One that peeves me is OreImo. I hear "Oh-ray-mo" most of the time.

EDIT: It is also sort of unreasonable for us to expect them to get it right. Most fans are untrained in Japanese phonetics.

EDIT 2: Something far more irritating..."Que-bee". Uggghh did we even watch the same show!? ;p
Chagen46

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 12:03 am Reply with quote
Quote:
A majority of fans do not/cannot say Japanese titles correctly. One that peeves me is OreImo. I hear "Oh-ray-mo" most of the time.

As a guy who studies linguistics, "Oh-ray-mo" is actually pretty damn close to the Japanese pronunciation, the main problem is just the /eI/ diphthong.

But even then, no one ever cares to learn the pitch accent.
rarirurero

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 12:03 pm Reply with quote
For fellow non-US fans of subbed Aniplex-properties:

For some reason, these movies can be ordered in a lot of non-US territories without additional shenanigans (i.e. eBay or other straw purchase option), at least from Rightstuf.

So, for anyone wanting to make the point to Aniplex of America's Japanese Corporate Overlords, that releasing stuff market by market makes no sense in the age of E-Commerce, this is an ideal "Vote with your Dollars" scenario.

For your convenience here is a copy/paste from Rightstuf.com's listing for the Collectors edition, of which countries they are willing to ship to:

Algeria, Anguilla, Antigua and Barbuda, Argentina, Armenia, Aruba, Australia, Autonomous Republic Crimea, Azerbaijan, Azerbaijan, Bahrain, Barbados, Belarus, Belize, Bermuda, Bolivia, Brazil, Canada, Chile, China (P.R.O.C),Philippine, Colombia, Costa Rica, Denmark, Dominica, Dominican Republic, East Turkistan-Xinjiang Uyghur Autonomous Region, Ecuador, Egypt, El Salvador, French Guiana, Georgia, Grenada, Guadeloupe, Guatemala, Guyana, Haiti, Honduras, Iran, Iraq, Ireland, Jamaica, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Kuwait, Kygryzstan, Lebanon, Libya, Martinique, Mexico, Moldova, Montserrat, Morocco, New Zealand, Nicaragua, Norway, Oman, Palestine, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, Qatar, Russia, Saudi Arabia, South Africa, St. Kitts & Nevis, St. Lucia, St. Vincent and The Grenadines, Suriname, Sweden, Syria, Tajikistan, Tajikstan, Thailand, The Bahamas, The British Virgin Islands, The Cayman Islands, The Netherland Antilles, The Turks and Caicos Islands, The U.S. Virgin Islands, Trinidad and Tobago, Tunisia, Turkey, Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus, UK, United Arab Emirates, Uruguay, Uzbekistan, Uzbekistan, Venezuela, Vietnam, and Yemen.

If your country is on the list, and you have the money to burn, please consider lighting the match!!
zeo1fan

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 2:56 pm Reply with quote
Mikeski wrote:

For the first time in... ever, I think, we got to page two of an Aniplex thread without someone starting a pricing argument!

I wouldn't call it an argument so much as a discussion. But thank you. Smile
Mikeski

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 5:57 pm Reply with quote
zeo1fan wrote:
Mikeski wrote:

I wouldn't call it an argument so much as a discussion. But thank you. Smile

Point granted. "Discussion" it is. I tend to go into AoA threads with my jack___ goggles* set to "maximum". Cool

*Like yuri goggles, but for spotting internet trolls rather than extra-friendly schoolgirls.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 10:31 pm Reply with quote
rarirurero wrote:

For some reason, these movies can be ordered in a lot of non-US territories without additional shenanigans (i.e. eBay or other straw purchase option), at least from Rightstuf.

But this is just the Japanese release being imported by Aniplex of America. For people outside the U.S. and Canada, what's the advantage over importing directly from Japan?
CrowLia

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 10:49 pm Reply with quote
^ Don't know for sure, but probably shipping fees are reduced, depending on your area. For Mexico, for instance, I suppose it's cheaper to import from the US than from Japan (I haven't done the former, but the latter I did once and the shipping fee convinced me to never do it again)
luffypirate

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 3:42 am Reply with quote
fuuma_monou wrote:
rarirurero wrote:

But this is just the Japanese release being imported by Aniplex of America. For people outside the U.S. and Canada, what's the advantage over importing directly from Japan?

A postcard.
rarirurero

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 9:04 am Reply with quote
fuuma_monou wrote:
rarirurero wrote:

Copy/paste from Rightstuf's collectors edition listing:
Quote:
Contains both Puella Magi Madoka Magica the Movie Part 1 -Beginnings- and Part 2 -Eternal- plus exclusive new cover art, a deluxe booklet, the original soundtrack CD, a US-exclusive English translation booklet for the deluxe booklet and a US-exclusive special postcard.

When AofA goes to the trouble of producing a US-exclusive translation booklet, doesn't that mean that this is the closest thing to a US release we (meaning you Americans) are likely to see for a while?
hpulley

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 9:44 am Reply with quote
rarirurero wrote:

Quote:
Contains both Puella Magi Madoka Magica the Movie Part 1 -Beginnings- and Part 2 -Eternal- plus exclusive new cover art, a deluxe booklet, the original soundtrack CD, a US-exclusive English translation booklet for the deluxe booklet and a US-exclusive special postcard.

When AofA goes to the trouble of producing a US-exclusive translation booklet, doesn't that mean that this is the closest thing to a US release we (meaning you Americans) are likely to see for a while?

I'm pretty sure this IS the only release there will be.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3