• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime guy crushes?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Crisha

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 11:52 pm Reply with quote
In regards to red or blue, I think I'm usually for the red. I normally prefer the passionate, emotional ones even if they act immature. Of course, this isn't 100% true, but it does tend to be my preference.

Of course, as others have mentioned, if it goes into domineering, overly possessive, rape-ish territory, then that can kill my enthusiasm right there.

How many red/blue pairs can people think of?

From off the top of my head:

Kyo & Yuki (Fruits Basket)
Fakir & Mytho (Princess Tutu)
Taichi & Arata (Chihayafuru)
Van & Allen (Escaflowne)
Tamahome & Hotohori (Fushigi Yugi)
Kuranosuke & Shuu (Princess Jellyfish)
Jintan & Atsumu (AnoHana)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
rheiders

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 3:13 am Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:

Well.....this is going to sound shallow

You say that like this entire thread isn't incredibly shallow xD

Some red/blue pairs I can think of (both manga and anime examples):
Hikaru & Tamaki (Ouran)
Daichi & Sora (Kitchen Princess)
Ryoutarou & Len (La Corda d'Oro)
Shin & Ikki (Amnesia)
Natsume & Luca (Gakuen Alice)
Haruka & Q-ta (Honey Hunt--wow, haven't thought about that one in a while)
Daigo & Fuji (Sand Chronicles)
Yuuhi & Touya (Ayashi no Ceres)
Narumi & Ochiai (Beauty Pop)
Zero & Kaname (Vampire Knight)
Tomoe & Mizuki (Kamisama Kiss)

These are just random ones that popped into my head. It's possible to do this with girls too, of course. (Asuka/Rei, Yurippe/Kanade, etc.)

Honorable Mention, just because this one's a little strange: Sou & Kureha (After School Nightmare)
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 4:19 am Reply with quote
When I think crushes I'm immediately sent back to my all-time childhood loves: Kai Hiwatari from Beyblade (the tattoos! and the scarf!), Yue from Card Captor Sakura (because long hair makes me into a pile of goo) and Legolas from LoTR (not anime, but I shall forever love that man -as every little girl from my generation did)

Aside from my childhood crushes that will live in my heart forever, it's hard to point out particular guys I crush over because there are so many. But if I were to do a list of my biggest crush I guess it'd be something like this:

L (Death Note): Don't ask. I've had a crush on that guy since forever. Like he's childish but intelligent and he has this quirky awkward side too. I don't get it either.

Byakuya Kuchiki (Bleach). Did I mention long hair makes me all gooey inside? Apart from my shallow reasons, I really loved how his character was built from a cold-hearted law-abiding man, to one who is deeply troubled due to the conflict between his duty and his love for his sister.

Akira Touya (Hikaru no Go). I felt the worst when I realized how hard I was crushing on 12-year-old Akira. I felt so much empathy for his passion and intense love for Go and his disappointment when Hikaru initially isn't the rival he expected him to be -and I wanted to kill Hikaru for ruining Akira's dream-. Also, long hair.

Lancer/Diarmuid (Fate/Zero). That dude got me with all his chivalry and honor shenanigans. My maiden heart couldn't take it.

Yuu Kanda (D.Gray Man). Long hair. Shut up. I also blame Kanda for at least 30% of my anime crushes, which share his unmistakably hot hairstyle (Nezumi from No.6, Altoh Saotome from Macross Frontier, and Samon from Zetsuen Tempest, off the top of my head)

Fai D. Flourite (Tsubasa Chronicle) I think a reminiscent of my love for Legolas. Also that he's so cool, cheerful, misterious and smart.

Hayato Gokudera (Hitman Reborn) Not the long hair. I swear. He's just adorable, with his all tough bomb shit on the outside and getting excited with his skull rings and calling his cat some cutesy name. I wanted to squish him.

There are many others (probably half the cast of the original Saint Seiya, namely Aries Mu, Phoenix Ikki, Aquarius Camus, Scorpion Milo and Virgo Shaka; most of Bleach's cast, currently Magi's Sinbad, and so on...). It never ends. I'm doomed by long-haired men.

As for the red/blue thing, I think I'm more inclined towards blue, but I can take a bit of red too. As for red/blue duos, there are tons, and I find it funny that many have huge followings as popular ships in fujoshi circles

Kurogane & Fai (Tsubasa)
Kagami & Kuroko (Kuroko no Basket)
Renji & Byakuya (Bleach)
Grimmjow & Ulquiorra (Bleach)
Ichigo & Ishida (Bleach)
Kanba & Shoma (Mawaru Penguindrum)
Touya & Yukito (Card Captor Sakura)
Ren & Masato (UtaPri -arguably, every "pair" in this show is Red/Blue)
Simon & Rossiu (TTGL)
England & France (Hetalia)
Hikaru & Akira/Sai (Hikaru no Go)
Rin & Yukio (Ao no Exorcist)
Guts & Griffith (Berserk)

Leaving it at that not to make it just a hugeass list.

BTW I recently realized I'm no longer in the same age-range as most of the guys I crush over (I was reading KuroBas and thinking "Oh dear, more shirtless training in the beach, yes please", when I realized they were underage and I was not) and felt like a delinquent. Then I got over it, is that too wrong?
Chiibi

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 8:45 pm Reply with quote
willag wrote:
In regards to red or blue, I think I'm usually for the red. I normally prefer the passionate, emotional ones even if they act immature. Of course, this isn't 100% true, but it does tend to be my preference.

Of course, as others have mentioned, if it goes into domineering, overly possessive, rape-ish territory, then that can kill my enthusiasm right there.

How many red/blue pairs can people think of?

From off the top of my head:

Kyo & Yuki (Fruits Basket)
Fakir & Mytho (Princess Tutu)
Taichi & Arata (Chihayafuru)
Van & Allen (Escaflowne)
Tamahome & Hotohori (Fushigi Yugi)
Kuranosuke & Shuu (Princess Jellyfish)
Jintan & Atsumu (AnoHana)

Takuto&Eichi (Full Moon Wo Sagashite)
Hiroto&Seiji(Kirarin Revolution)
Teru&Hinata(Koko Ni Iru Yo)
Arata&Takara(Moe Kare)
Natsume&Luca(Gakuen Alice)

CAN'T BELIEVE YOU GUYS FORGOT THESE TWO:

Edward&Alphonse(Full Metal Alchemist)

While I normally love reds, I just saw the first few episodes of Chihayafuru and I have to say, spoiler[Taichi's cruelty to Arata REALLY got on my nerves.] Twisted Evil
Team Arata all the way.
Yup, I can end up liking blue on a blue moon. Anime hyper Haha...

Quote:
Then I got over it, is that too wrong?

Not wrong in the slightest. They are characters and you aren't hurting anyone!
Crisha

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 11:00 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
CAN'T BELIEVE YOU GUYS FORGOT THESE TWO:

Edward&Alphonse(Full Metal Alchemist)

Honestly, I was only trying to select the reds and blues that have competed for the same girl or shown interest in the same girl (although, I guess the argument could be made for Winry in this case).

Regardless, if we're going to extend the bounds, then I'd like to mention Suboshi & Amiboshi (Fushigi Yugi) and Hikaru & Kaoru (Ouran). Then again the Ouran twins did have a crush on the same girl. Kaoru just never became an active participant.

As for some CLAMP examples:

There's Eagle & Lantis (Magic Knight Rayearth); however, both guys act pretty "princely." The anime doesn't give as much focus on 1/2 of the triangle though, and then... and then... WAAAAH! And the manga is more of a threesome than a love triangle. (Ambiguous CLAMP love relationships -- WHAAAT?) And, anime-only, Ascot & Clef might count, though Clef's feelings are more ambiguous (fandom would definitely disagree with me given the number of Clemi supporters).

And there's also Syaoran & Yukito. I didn't include them in the list, though, because Yukito was never an active participant for Sakura's love. Sakura had a crush on him, but he never reciprocated that way (rather, he felt that way for her brother). Then again, I guess reciprocation is not necessarily needed for a love triangle. The first half had a different love triangle with Syaoran and Sakura both crushing on Yukito. And I'm not really certain how to color rank those two, because they're both pretty passionate at heart (red). Syaoran is more emotionally distant at the beginning though (and from a higher standing), which might classify him as the blue. So, I guess, Sakura & Syaoran.

And anime-only, there's Kotaro & Ohjiro (Angelic Layer). I don't know, even when I love CLAMP's manga, I almost always tend to prefer the anime version just a bit more. This is one where I love the anime version a lot more.

Of the reds and blues that were mentioned that were part of a love triangle, the guy I was rooting for was:
Kyo, Fakir, Taichi, Van, Kuranosuke/Shuu (although I'm more in Shuu's court, I'm warming up to Kuranosuke and I'd be pleased with either), Eagle, Syaoran, Ohjiro, Hikaru, Tomoe.

And as for Fushigi Yugi... I was strongly for Tamahome when I first started reading the manga long ago, but Tamahome/Miaka got so annoying by a certain point that I was willing to ship her with anyone that wasn't Tamahome. So, no winner.

Chiibi wrote:
While I normally love reds, I just saw the first few episodes of Chihayafuru and I have to say, spoiler[Taichi's cruelty to Arata REALLY got on my nerves.] Twisted Evil
Team Arata all the way.

1. I really sympathized with Arata during the flashbacks as well and thought Taichi was being an ass (and I definitely preferred Arata at that point as well).
2. Taichi gets a lot more presence and development during the "present day."
3. I'm Team Taichi all the way and you're wrong. Wink (Although I still like Arata).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Chiibi

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 12:25 am Reply with quote
Quote:
although, I guess the argument could be made for Winry in this case).

Lol, yush!

Heh, nice choices. I mostly agree....though I don't like either of the Hitachin twins in Ouran (as characters or in shipping)-I was TamaHaru from day ONE. Anime hyper The twins are funny as a pair...but when either one is by himself, I'm just kinda...."meh".

Quote:
And as for Fushigi Yugi... I was strongly for Tamahome when I first started reading the manga long ago, but Tamahome/Miaka got so annoying by a certain point that I was willing to ship her with anyone that wasn't Tamahome. So, no winner.

I liked them when I was younger......but yeah, agreed. Miaka's too dumb and annoying for me to ship her with anybody anymore. :/ I used to defend her from the many many haters.....but now I totally agree with them.

Quote:
1. I really sympathized with Arata during the flashbacks as well and thought Taichi was being an ass (and I definitely preferred Arata at that point as well).
2. Taichi gets a lot more presence and development during the "present day."
3. I'm Team Taichi all the way and you're wrong. Wink (Although I still like Arata).

Haha, well, I am still so early in the series...so we shall see what happens. Anime hyper

Yeah, I don't think of the blue guy as necessarily crushing on the heroine, (because there are a handful who don't) but as long as the heroine likes him, he's red's rival so I feel he IS part of the triangle.
Thus Syaoran & Yukito totally count in my eyes...
st_owly

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 3:09 am Reply with quote
My first anime guy crush was Tasuki from Fushigi Yuugi. I think I was attracted to how strong but also kind of awkward he was. I did like Amiboshi as well, partly because he was a musician like me, partly cause he was kind and gentle. I seem to favour red guys more than blue.
Ortensia1980

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 7:51 am Reply with quote
Knoepfchen wrote:
I am conflicted if I feel too old or embarrassed to post in this thread Embarassed Or if I am too happy to switch on pure fangirl mode without restricting myself to care. Ah, what the heck.

I have no idea how old you are, but if you're not too old for this thread then neither am I Wink

Kamui from X has been a very longstanding anime crush of mine. I honestly don't even know why anymore, it's been that long.

I don't know whether I lean towards red or blue characters more though. Can't I just have both? Twisted Evil
Backspaces

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 8:13 pm Reply with quote
I always had a crush on Hiei of Yu-Yu Hakusho... i just wish he was a weee-bit taller.

I also like Killua of HunterxHunter, Ban Mido of the Getbackers and Ryoma Echizen of Prince of Tennis... almost all guys in animes are cute

Embarassed but for me, those mentioned are still the best Very Happy
Knoepfchen

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 3:30 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
Yuu Kanda (D.Gray Man). Long hair. Shut up. I also blame Kanda for at least 30% of my anime crushes, which share his unmistakably hot hairstyle (Nezumi from No.6, Altoh Saotome from Macross Frontier, and Samon from Zetsuen Tempest, off the top of my head)

Oh, heaven, yes. Long, black hair that gets messy while fighting - check. Bad ass katana - check. Leave-me-alone-I-don't-give-a-damn-because-I-have-an-oh-so-tragic-past-attitude that will get brutally and mercilessly challenged (in the manga) - check. Anime version voiced by Takahiro Sakurai - check.

(Did I mention how predictable I am?)

Embarassed

@ Chiibi: I have to admit I am only watching Princess Tutu for the first time right now (probably never would have done so if it wasn't so popular within this forum.) The first season offers so little character development (or character) for Mytho that I find I hard to pair him with/against Fakir, who is a so much more interesting character so far. Mytho seems to be little more than something the other characters can reflect themselves upon. I am expecting this to change in the second season (no spoilers, please). I'd put Fakir in middle territory so far, due to the lack of a strong opposite. This series and its characters are definitely something I would have obsessed about if I had watched it as a teenager, that's for sure. Beyond lovely.
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 3:39 pm Reply with quote
I've had a man crush on Vash the Stampede. The whole pacifist, goofball attitude backed up with being a total badass to protect all types of life. It swooned my man heart. Oh, and Spike from Cowboy Bebop. Same reasons. It's probably a guys with guns type of thing.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 7:02 pm Reply with quote
Knoepfchen wrote:

@ Chiibi: I have to admit I am only watching Princess Tutu for the first time right now (probably never would have done so if it wasn't so popular within this forum.) The first season offers so little character development (or character) for Mytho that I find I hard to pair him with/against Fakir, who is a so much more interesting character so far. Mytho seems to be little more than something the other characters can reflect themselves upon.

Pretty much. Anime hyper I was never a Mytho fan to begin with. Don't like his (lack of) personality or his type.
TOO GIRLY.
I seriously thought he was a girl in his first scene. o_O
DEM EYELASHES.

.........but when you get down to it, he's really....probably the least interesting of the main four.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 10:38 pm Reply with quote
I won't watch Princess Tutu but Mythos seems like a character I could really develop an appreciation for. Girly and kind of like a male version of Yuki Nagato perhaps? Definitely.

Has no one mentioned Takehito Koyasu in this thread? Well he's not an anime character but just about every anime character he voices I automatically fall in love with because of his voice.
rheiders

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 10:54 pm Reply with quote
I always thought of Mytho as more of a plot device and cool idea than an actual character. He gets pushed around and thrown into various situations by the plot and doesn't really have the capacity to make decisions for himself until late in the series. I mean, even his name refers to a story, not a character! xD So yeah, Fakir all the way.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 11:17 pm Reply with quote
Past wrote:
I won't watch Princess Tutu

Ehhh but whyyyyy!? D:
It's so good!

Quote:
Girly and kind of like a male version of Yuki Nagato perhaps? Definitely.

Girly, yes. Like Yuki.....erm, not really. They are quiet and stoic...but that's about it. Yuki actually has a personality and a free will. Mytho just.....he's just kind of there...and the other characters do with him as they please. He's basically a living doll. Anime hyper

Quote:
I always thought of Mytho as more of a plot device and cool idea than an actual character.

Yes, that is what he is. Anime hyper
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4