• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Attack on Titan (TV) (all seasons).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Riddley

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 1:18 pm Reply with quote
I SHIP SHIPPING...

On another note, this is one of the few animes/manga where I actually can't find real relationship niggles. Most of the time there's the little hints. But other than Mikasa obviously being attached to Eren in a very deep-seated way, which can very easily be explained as an overly zealous sister figure, there's really nothing.

I'm usually one of the first to start assigning couples in my head but this is just all about killing some titans.
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 3:27 pm Reply with quote
Riddley wrote:
I SHIP SHIPPING...

On another note, this is one of the few animes/manga where I actually can't find real relationship niggles. Most of the time there's the little hints. But other than Mikasa obviously being attached to Eren in a very deep-seated way, which can very easily be explained as an overly zealous sister figure, there's really nothing.

I'm usually one of the first to start assigning couples in my head but this is just all about killing some titans.

Well I think for right now, its just a lot of setup and back story. So things like character pairs and connections will probably start popping up very soon. The manga was the same way. The training scenes in episode 3 actually happen after this first titan encounter for the crew.

But the anime might go the way of FMA, Soul Eater, Trigun, Crono Crusade etc etc, where the anime might just tell its own story and ending since there still isn't a whole lot in the manga nor any sign of an end.
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 6:57 pm Reply with quote
It was shocking....
It also was nice to see someone who finished near the top of 3 years of harsh military training spoiler[flush it all away in an instant, and get most of his squad wiped out because he could not keep calm and put that training to use after one loss].
Been waiting for that to happen in some anime, it only would have been better if he had disobeyed direct orders in the process.
Still I have a sneaking feeling that he might not learn from this and his burning hatred and rash reckless actions further endangering everyone around him will continue.
Volibear

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 7:56 pm Reply with quote
OK, so I finally caught up on this and I have to say it's possibly the scariest series I've ever watched. But it's scary in a different way to, say, a horror series.

The no-holds-barred approach of the series is truly terrifying. After the opening 2 episodes most series would have gone the route of: training --> close 1st encounter as soldiers, someone injured severely --> everyone learns from the experience and continue on --> series of other encounters, close wins with an assortment of unique situations to make each one different --> boss fight/final battle/whatever --> victory.

The fact that they went spoiler[training --> immediate decimation of everyone you came to know over the past couple of episodes] is rather scary. Most series never even go into the realm of spoiler[killing off characters they get you to know], and the ones that do usually only do it just to be like "yeah, we were bold enough to do that, look at us".

From everything I've watched, this is the first time a series has spoiler[killed/maimed part of the core character group/set-up] because it's the nature of the series. The sheer bleakness of the setting created here and the atmosphere in it demands blood. There is no anime "sugar coating" in this world. Everything happens in this series as it would if any one of us was in that position, from the real world's perspective, not an anime's one.

Being gung-ho gets spoiler[Tomas killed]. Hotheadedness gets spoiler[Eren's leg bitten off and 2 more squad members in Titan hands]. spoiler[Trying to save your friend] gets spoiler[you your arm bitten off and then you swallowed(instead of the usual escape)]. That kind of stuff is what separates AoT from anything else I can think of.

This series crushes the soul of everyone it in without hesitation. The hope you would usually see from a series isn't there. Everything looks bleak in this world. When your best friend spoiler[loses his leg and then his arm and gets eaten by a Titan] you wouldn't pull of some miraculous feat of preposterous magnitude and resolve the situation, you'd fear for your own life as you stare into it's eyes, cry and sh*t yourself. And that's exactly what we get here. Something that takes out all the usual fluff, throws it away and gives you the possibility to really feel the situation and feel what you should be feeling - the shock and terror that comes with the world created here.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 10:05 pm Reply with quote
Volibear wrote:
OK, so I finally caught up on this and I have to say it's possibly the scariest series I've ever watched. But it's scary in a different way to, say, a horror series.

The no-holds-barred approach of the series is truly terrifying. After the opening 2 episodes most series would have gone the route of: training --> close 1st encounter as soldiers, someone injured severely --> everyone learns from the experience and continue on --> series of other encounters, close wins with an assortment of unique situations to make each one different --> boss fight/final battle/whatever --> victory.

The fact that they went spoiler[training --> immediate decimation of everyone you came to know over the past couple of episodes] is rather scary. Most series never even go into the realm of spoiler[killing off characters they get you to know], and the ones that do usually only do it just to be like "yeah, we were bold enough to do that, look at us".

From everything I've watched, this is the first time a series has spoiler[killed/maimed part of the core character group/set-up] because it's the nature of the series. The sheer bleakness of the setting created here and the atmosphere in it demands blood. There is no anime "sugar coating" in this world. Everything happens in this series as it would if any one of us was in that position, from the real world's perspective, not an anime's one.

Being gung-ho gets spoiler[Tomas killed]. Hotheadedness gets spoiler[Eren's leg bitten off and 2 more squad members in Titan hands]. spoiler[Trying to save your friend] gets spoiler[you your arm bitten off and then you swallowed(instead of the usual escape)]. That kind of stuff is what separates AoT from anything else I can think of.

This series crushes the soul of everyone it in without hesitation. The hope you would usually see from a series isn't there. Everything looks bleak in this world. When your best friend spoiler[loses his leg and then his arm and gets eaten by a Titan] you wouldn't pull of some miraculous feat of preposterous magnitude and resolve the situation, you'd fear for your own life as you stare into it's eyes, cry and sh*t yourself. And that's exactly what we get here. Something that takes out all the usual fluff, throws it away and gives you the possibility to really feel the situation and feel what you should be feeling - the shock and terror that comes with the world created here.

Exactly, Volibear, and that's one of the reasons I like this series so much. It's a pretty serious take on what would happen if the world were really in the state that the anime portrays: the panic of people in the first couple of episodes, the desire to get a gig that allows you to stay *far* from the front lines, the raw hatred after watching a loved one get consumed, and the way it all changes some people. I'm liking that stuff quite a bit because it makes the badassery (and I expect we'll see more of it down the line) that much more badass. This is easily my favorite show this season, and while it is too bad that the manga is apparently not near its end, I'm hoping that the requisite gecko ending holds up to what we've seen so far.
Knoepfchen

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 1:18 am Reply with quote
Quote:

Very well put, Volibear, and completely agreed.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 6:03 am Reply with quote
Just chiming in with my agreement with Volibear's post. You have articulated very well my own feeling about this show.
SwerveCity

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 7:10 am Reply with quote
Agreeing with the consensus. Its like the promise of Muv Luv Total Eclipse had last year, except it seems to want to take it to even darker territory and not going off into some harem nonsense and completely forget the destruction it wrought onto all the characters at the start.
Mr. Nescio

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 3:34 pm Reply with quote
SwerveCity wrote:
Agreeing with the consensus. Its like the promise of Muv Luv Total Eclipse had last year, except it seems to want to take it to even darker territory and not going off into some harem nonsense and completely forget the destruction it wrought onto all the characters at the start.
Actually, the author of the manga has openly expressed that he has been inspired by Muv Luv (the original visual novels, not Total Eclipse, which is a spin-off). By googling it is easy to find crossover art made by him (but remember it is always risky to search about Snk because of spoilers.)
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 8:06 pm Reply with quote
Ep 6

The episode didn't deal with spoiler[Eren's "death" yet.] This episode pretty much explained why Mikasa is so obsessed with Eren. spoiler[Man I thought Eren was all talk as a kid, but he killed 2 men without hesitation. I felt so bad for Mikasa. I wanted to hug her after she said she doesn't have a place to go to.]

Mikasa is such a badass. Not only did she take downspoiler[ the titans rather easily, she saved all of those people by threatening the boss guy]
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 9:57 pm Reply with quote
Man, they're making us wait another week. But next week for sure!!!!

Mikasa's so awesome. X3
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 10:09 pm Reply with quote
After watching episode 6, I just want to give spoiler[Mikasa a hug for the sorrow and pain she had to witness and endure during her childhood.] Life is just so damn cruel especially in this series. It's either kill or be killed.

Looking forward to next week but this was a nice spoiler[flashback] episode imo.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 2:44 am Reply with quote
Mikasa has quite the backstory and in general is pretty cool. Like what she did to that rich guy.

There is some bad news though.

And that one prancing Titan. Your not supposed to call them abnormal anymore.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 3:21 am Reply with quote
I'm not seeing any kind of countdown timer on Crunchyroll for episode 6 and its starting to worry me...
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 3:24 am Reply with quote
The crazy titan in this episode looked freaky. Well, they all do, but this one was was even more unpredictable.

Eren was sure an interesting child when he was little. spoiler[Being capable to run a knife though someone like that without thinking twice,] and his dad was not even that surprised.

I can't wait until the next episode.

Last edited by Unicorn_Blade on Sun May 12, 2013 4:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 20 of 107