• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 4:28 pm Reply with quote
Well, I wasn't. I was speaking in specifics about this thread. The post of mine that you responded to was targeted specifically at people in this thread who - for some a-hole reason - think our observations are invalid. Not just that they don't agree with our opinion, but that somehow we are wrong to even have them. So, in future if you are going to burble on about irrelevant generalities then don't bother referencing a post of mine so that I don't have to waste my time responding.

And not sure why you made some comment about not wanting to wait decades for my reply since I was much faster in responding to you than vice-versa. But given the general uselessness of your posts in this thread, I guess I shouldn't be too surprised.

Last edited by Blood- on Wed May 08, 2013 4:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Galap

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
Galap wrote:

Yay! Very Happy I hope we have more awesome visuals that everyone hates!

He directed far more than that episode of SSY (which I didn't have a problem with).

I think he has one of the most unique visuals styles. Not sure how it will translate into this series but I certainly look forward to his episode more than the last one.

Yeah, I've seen some of his other stuff, too. I personally don't value visual consistency very much, and often like it when they change things up with the art from moment to moment, so I hope that the next episode brings a different visual take on Gargantia.
Zork

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 5:53 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Well, I wasn't. I was speaking in specifics about this thread. The post of mine that you responded to was targeted specifically at people in this thread who - for some a-hole reason - think our observations are invalid. Not just that they don't agree with our opinion, but that somehow we are wrong to even have them. So, in future if you are going to burble on about irrelevant generalities then don't bother referencing a post of mine so that I don't have to waste my time responding.

And not sure why you made some comment about not wanting to wait decades for my reply since I was much faster in responding to you than vice-versa. But given the general uselessness of your posts in this thread, I guess I shouldn't be too surprised.

If you were speaking in specifics about this thread, your original post to which I replied made no mention about it. You responded to a generalized comment about the internet social justice fad being annoying with an equally generalized comment. And I made a generalized comment about yours.

As for the general uselessness of my posts in this thread....

"Amy's fermented thigh sweat"?
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 6:14 pm Reply with quote
Zork wrote:

Don't read too much into it. Every group needs a delta dog and Blood- often fills that purpose.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 6:47 pm Reply with quote
Zork wrote:
Blood- wrote:

If you were speaking in specifics about this thread, your original post to which I replied made no mention about it. You responded to a generalized comment about the internet social justice fad being annoying with an equally generalized comment. And I made a generalized comment about yours.

As for the general uselessness of my posts in this thread....

You really are clueless. That comment about "internet social justice" wasn't a generalized comment. It was a specific slam against those of us in the thread who noted the cross-dressing stereotypes, among other things, as being offensive. Fine, the meaning was implied as opposed to explicit, but there was no mistaking the message behind it. I guess you are just too stupid to pick up on it. Shocker. Yeah and the Amy's fermented thigh sweat comment, while far from my best work, is still leaps and bounds more vivid than anything you'll ever write in the yawnfest that is your existence.
Miranox

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 8:18 pm Reply with quote
Ironic how an episode that was supposed to be cheerful and lighthearted has made people spew hate at eachother. I really doubt this is the kind of "discussion" this forum was intended for.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 9:26 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, probably not, but it's also not particularly rare, either. And ANN moderation is pretty good. I can only imagine what a "anything goes" site must be like.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 9:52 pm Reply with quote
ANN's forums are pretty tame. I'm really surprised on how long this discussion has lasted.

I'm usually not easily offended, but even I found the cross-dressing scene to be quite uncomfortable to watch due to the stereotype that was being portrayed.
Nocturne123

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 9:55 pm Reply with quote
It surprises me how easily offended people get in general. Man, I cant imagine what real life does to people.

Overall, it was probably the worst episode so far though. Nothing really happened in terms of story or character development.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 11:52 pm Reply with quote
Nocturne123 wrote:
It surprises me how easily offended people get in general. Man, I can't imagine what real life does to people

Yeah well, we can't all live in ignorant, selfish bliss. Rolling Eyes
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 12:17 am Reply with quote
Oh boy is this thread going to become SAO 2.0?
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 12:24 am Reply with quote
WhiteHairGirls wrote:
Oh boy is this thread going to become SAO 2.0?
Which is why I posted my comment earlier which turned to calling Ledo a "Gary Stu" and shouting "plot holes". It was the number one way to argument against people enjoying the show in the SAO thread.
Zork

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 3:59 am Reply with quote
Wow.

Anyway, I agree with Tuor_of_Gonolin when he wrote...

Quote:
At any rate. I've gone on long enough about this. I don't seem to have done a very good job explaining what I mean, let alone why I feel the way I do about it, so I think I'll stop here....

I obviously did an even worse job, but at least I didn't attack anyone personally.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 5:56 am Reply with quote
But of course before stopping you couldn't resist one last putrid self-righteous whine, could you? Rolling Eyes

Generally, when someone says they are going to stop carrying on a certain line of conversation, they should just stop. Not add in a little tidbit that is absolutely guaranteed to keep fanning the flames. Rolling Eyes
Knoepfchen

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 7:20 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I thought the whole below-decks scene was way out of character anyway. Ledo probably has basic instruction in biological reproduction, but he's shown no interest at all about sex. The military culture he grew up in appears to be completely asexual, and even after clocking enough hours, the reward is you get to reproduce, not you get to have sex (i.e., the selling point is the outcome not the means, which might not even include sex). Given that background, why would he even know what the man wanted?

So even though Ledo flinched at the mere sound of the first guy's voice, when he turned around and saw him, I expected him to just be puzzled or confused by his appearance being so different from what he'd learned of these people so far, and I thought he'd be curious about its purpose, how it was useful to whatever his job was, in keeping with the theme up to that point. For a moment I was hoping that a completely different kind of scene would play out (one lacking a predator/prey scenario). That was instantly dashed when he reacted in horror at the very sight of him, and worse, his panicked flight response didn't ring true for a seasoned warrior, weapon or no. I thought he might be angry or defensive at being touched, but not terrified. And afterward, he never even asked a single question about what the hell that was all about.

So while I hate such stereotypes being mined for laughs in anime, I can usually roll my eyes and grind my teeth over it and move on, but this felt like they just trashed the whole tone and character development up to this point for a cheap and pointless joke that wasn't funny.

My thoughts exactly.

I was actually quite curious what was going to happen when those guys showed up. I thought Ledo would have no clue about what was going on (and be completely innocent regarding existing stereotypes) and the show could take advantage of that and have him meet and approach them in a completely open, innocent, and his usual curious manner, therefore playing with the stereotypes and have us reflect on our own expectations and biased trains of thoughts. That could have been fun and entertaining as well, and a lot more so than the breaking out of character just for the laughs that happened instead. Seemed like a lost opportunity and rather sad to me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 24 of 52