• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU (TV) (both seasons).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 8:02 am Reply with quote
Bamboo's rankings have always been based on how much she likes the shows
Riddley

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 3:03 pm Reply with quote
thenix wrote:
The girl from "The Stream" article doesn't seem to appreciate this show. Like she seems to be taking it way to seriously. This show has so much parody in it, and playing with viewers expectations I think it's brilliant. Whether or not you like the humor or smart ass quips back and forth is your opinion but to say the show is boring and bad because of it isn't really right. She likes Polar Bear Cafe though and Bodacious Space Pirates which I think are horribly boring because they are very slow and the humor is just goofy cute creatures doing goofy cute things. I mean I guess she's ranking anime this season based on how she likes it personally instead of how good she professionally is.

Um, Bamboo is ranking them according to how she like them yeah..that's, you know...what reviewers do. I'm more surprised that you think there's some "professional" way of reviewing that somehow divorces once's personal tastes and opinions for some uniform way of reviewing. That smacks of naivete...
thenix

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 3:30 pm Reply with quote
Riddley wrote:
thenix wrote:
The girl from "The Stream" article doesn't seem to appreciate this show. Like she seems to be taking it way to seriously. This show has so much parody in it, and playing with viewers expectations I think it's brilliant. Whether or not you like the humor or smart ass quips back and forth is your opinion but to say the show is boring and bad because of it isn't really right. She likes Polar Bear Cafe though and Bodacious Space Pirates which I think are horribly boring because they are very slow and the humor is just goofy cute creatures doing goofy cute things. I mean I guess she's ranking anime this season based on how she likes it personally instead of how good she professionally is.

Um, Bamboo is ranking them according to how she like them yeah..that's, you know...what reviewers do. I'm more surprised that you think there's some "professional" way of reviewing that somehow divorces once's personal tastes and opinions for some uniform way of reviewing. That smacks of naivete...

You mean like how the Academy Awards pick out the best movie or people in several different catagories? Sure they may not pick what I think is the best but they do a good job of at least narrowing down the field. And these are judgement calls as to what movie is better than another. Sure you can say that anything someone calls art is as good as anything anyone else calls art because the beauty is in the beholder but I don't think that it's naive to be able to judge one show better than another. I think it's unrealistic to say that everything is just as good as everything else.

That being said I'm not saying Bamboo is wrong, I'm saying I think she misses what makes the show good. And I didn't know if she ranked shows on how much she likes them or how good she thinks they are. When I rank movies on my blog around award season I have a list of top movies I like and top movies I think are the best made. They usually aren't the same. Now that I know it's based on what she likes it makes it more in context
Riddley

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 1:28 pm Reply with quote
thenix wrote:

You mean like how the Academy Awards pick out the best movie or people in several different catagories? Sure they may not pick what I think is the best but they do a good job of at least narrowing down the field. And these are judgement calls as to what movie is better than another. Sure you can say that anything someone calls art is as good as anything anyone else calls art because the beauty is in the beholder but I don't think that it's naive to be able to judge one show better than another. I think it's unrealistic to say that everything is just as good as everything else.

That being said I'm not saying Bamboo is wrong, I'm saying I think she misses what makes the show good. And I didn't know if she ranked shows on how much she likes them or how good she thinks they are. When I rank movies on my blog around award season I have a list of top movies I like and top movies I think are the best made. They usually aren't the same. Now that I know it's based on what she likes it makes it more in context

The Academy is so completely bought so as to be a farce.

You can judge shows on a lot of different merits. You could judge it on artwork, or music, character design, or story....you could judge it on the writing. Or you could try and take an all encompassing approach like the guys do when they review titles officially for the site.

But in the end, it's all biased. When Theron reviews a show trying to encompass all of those facets, he's doing it based on his own opinion. He can't divorce himself from that because his opinion is what makes a review. Some people tend to agree with him, others tend to agree with Carl, or Bamboo, etc. You find the reviewer you tend to agree with the most and you go with what they think about titles.

At the end of the day, a review is complete opinion. Saying you have a list of LIKES and a list of BESTs, imho, means you're lieing to yourself and trying to conform to some standard you've created or believe exists outside of your own personal preferences.

I've never seen Ebert do a list of LIKES and a list of BESTS. Usually if he did something like that, he used a qualifier. Like, BEST musical scores, or BEST cgi, etc. Those kind of lists I can buy into because you're judging something on a specific area.
DKL

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 2:16 pm Reply with quote
I got on that episode 5 stuff...

The problem they go solving this week was whatever (the club even conveniently made a trip to the spoiler[maid cafe during all the hubbub, so we get to see all relevant characters wearing maid attire]), but I didn't expect the show to drop dat realness on me during the last couple of minutes.

My face when it happened:

I've noticed how mean people generally are to Hikki (it cuts particularly deep this week too since they just don't let up no matter how much he points it out)...

He always makes these side comments or comebacks and I'm not gonna lie: they actually did a very good job of hiding a lot of the pain he probably feels when people put him down like that. It just hasn't really set in for me until now.

I'm honestly surprised and am very interested in where they take this... though I'm not sure if it has been a good idea to bury this in between everything else (as a lot of the other content hasn't been nearly as interesting and I'm little mixed with the harem setup when I really think about it)...
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 6:48 pm Reply with quote
Episode 5

Yep, we are definitely starting to get to the nub of things now - not that I wasn't enjoying the more light-hearted fare of the earlier episodes. So tempting to watch a fansub of episode 6 rather than have to wait until next Thursday night, but I'll stay strong.

Anyway, I'm ready for Yukino to show a softer side to Hachiman. Her barbs kind of came across as gratuitously hurtful this eppie. Hachiman definitely has some serious self-esteem issues.

Anyway, this show continues to hold my strong interest unlike Photo Kano and Devil Survivor 2, both of which I've given the boot.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 12:19 am Reply with quote
Ep 6

Good they solved spoiler[the awkward phase with the help of Yukino who insisted they do a fresh start where neither have them to blame each other]. We got to meet Yukino's older sister, Haruno. A perfect girl in the eyes of many men, but Hikki saw through her facade. He was praised by Yukino for noticing it, but she did it in her usual mockery tone. It looks like Yukino's family problems spoiler[has nothing to do with her older sister, as they seemed to be on good terms based on how Haruno kept teasing both of them on their "date".]
Clarste

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 12:44 am Reply with quote
WhiteHairGirls wrote:
Ep 6

Good they solved spoiler[the awkward phase with the help of Yukino who insisted they do a fresh start where neither have them to blame each other]. We got to meet Yukino's older sister, Haruno. A perfect girl in the eyes of many men, but Hikki saw through her facade. He was praised by Yukino for noticing it, but she did it in her usual mockery tone. It looks like Yukino's family problems spoiler[has nothing to do with her older sister, as they seemed to be on good terms based on how Haruno kept teasing both of them on their "date".]

spoiler[You call that "good terms"? I got the impression that Yukino hates her. "She seems perfect, men always praise her" and "I have to praise you for seeing through her facade" do not combine into a compliment. Especially given the previous episode where she had her little bit about not understanding mutually caring sibling relationships as well as agreeing with the idea that they're the "closest strangers". She probably hates her sister in the same way she hates Hayato and his friends.

Although honestly I don't really see how being being teased implies a good relationship in the first place. Unless you thought they were like beating her or something? Emotional distance is the more classic problem for characters like Yukino though.]
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 2:10 am Reply with quote
Clarste wrote:
WhiteHairGirls wrote:
Ep 6

spoiler[You call that "good terms"? I got the impression that Yukino hates her. "She seems perfect, men always praise her" and "I have to praise you for seeing through her facade" do not combine into a compliment. Especially given the previous episode where she had her little bit about not understanding mutually caring sibling relationships as well as agreeing with the idea that they're the "closest strangers". She probably hates her sister in the same way she hates Hayato and his friends.

Although honestly I don't really see how being being teased implies a good relationship in the first place. Unless you thought they were like beating her or something? Emotional distance is the more classic problem for characters like Yukino though.]

Okay maybe good terms wasn't the best use of words, but I don't think spoiler[Yukino hates her. I didn't see any resent in her. Jealousy? Sure who wouldn't be jealous of an older sibling like that, especially one that is well-endowed. I think the main problem is probably with the parents. Friends and good family members usually tease you in a playful way like how Haruno did, so yes it can mean a good relationship. I didn't see any bullying. ]
Clarste

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 3:39 am Reply with quote
WhiteHairGirls wrote:
Okay maybe good terms wasn't the best use of words, but I don't think spoiler[Yukino hates her. I didn't see any resent in her. Jealousy? Sure who wouldn't be jealous of an older sibling like that, especially one that is well-endowed. I think the main problem is probably with the parents. Friends and good family members usually tease you in a playful way like how Haruno did, so yes it can mean a good relationship. I didn't see any bullying. ]

Teasing isn't a sign of a bullying, but it's not a sign of a good relationship either. And frankly those aren't the only two options anyway. The rest of the context made it pretty clear to me that spoiler[she dislikes her sister. Asking her point blank to leave them alone, for one thing.] Although I guess maybe you could see that a sign of the teasing working?
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 3:56 am Reply with quote
Ep 6 stuff:

No, it seems pretty clear that Yukino spoiler[*really* doesn't like her sister. They seemed to be trading inside barbs at one another. If the guy Yukino was with had been anyone but Hachiman (as in, a normal guy), Yukino's sister's actions would probably have gotten him to start thinking more about the sister than Yukino, and on a date that's a pretty unforgivable thing.]
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 4:59 am Reply with quote
Episode 6

Loved it, and rather than mention all the parts that lead up to it I want to start with the climax. Through events Yui was lead to spoiler[beleive that Yukino and Hikki were in a relationship, which made her even more not go back], but Yukino wants Yui to be her friend (had to link that) and at least wants to spoiler[celebrate her birthday]. What rocks is that each of the characters had their own moments of insight that allowed the situation to solve, Hikki could tell they spoiler[were having a misunderstanding over something], Yukino thought it spoiler[best that Yui and Hikki start over]. And Yui, well I think in this particular situation it was her character that pushes Yukino and Hikki to be friends with each other, unlike how I mostly feel in anime the spoiler[supposed date] mostly confirmed my thoughts that Hikki and Yukino spoiler[are just friends]. I seriously went from smiles (Smile) with Yui and Yukino, happy tears (Crying or Very sad + Smile) with Yui wanting to spoiler[continue a relationship with] Hikki, to laughing with a little snot (Laughing + *add snot emoticon*) from the tears when Yui got spoiler["angry" over the collar].

If there was one thing I loved about this episode, it was how they could be subtle without actually being too vague. Yukino insisting on getting Yui back, her getting rather annoyed at her sister who despite appearing nice, had the spoiler[air of fakeness that Hikki] described. One thing I noticed was that Yukino was much friendlier to Hikki this episode, saying much fewer mean things to him, even complimenting him and seeming happy in my opinion when he saw spoiler[through her sister]. Seeing Yukino so worked up was hard, you could feel the awkwardness off her as she thought she was finding out her crush was with someone else. Actually I wonder about what Yukino meant right before she left the room, I got the opinion that she either understood a bit of what Yui's feelings were (giving them room), or she was reminded of a relationship with someone else.
Clarste

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 5:20 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Actually I wonder about what Yukino meant right before she left the room, I got the opinion that she either understood a bit of what Yui's feelings were (giving them room), or she was reminded of a relationship with someone else.

The implication I got was "neither of you are at fault (unlike me), so you can start over (unlike me)." Her reaction was kind of melancholy, and Hikki seemed to pick up on it.
Ignatz

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 1:33 pm Reply with quote
Just started watching this show, and wow... It's basically what Haganai should've been - no stupid harem and characters that actually say something interesting. I'm amazed at how good this show is.

I'm currently at 4 episodes.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 1:57 pm Reply with quote
Ignatz wrote:
It's basically what Haganai should've been - no stupid harem and characters that actually say something interesting.

That is kind of what I have been thinking too.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 6 of 19