• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Valvrave the Liberator (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 4:15 am Reply with quote
Episode 4

*spoiler[find out Shoko is the presidents daughter]* You gotta be kidding, so she is like Suzaku or something, and L-Elf's similarities to Lelouch/Zero make some focus. Actually the whole power thing making soldiers turn on their own and contracts (one given by an immortal girl, she is a program) makes it even more so. Add into the mix political revolution and it really becomes obvious how much this is like Code Geass, only essential difference is that we have seen it all already, this is in space, and there is not incest vibes.

Still I don't find it unwatchable, there are far worse things out there. Kind of stupid to wonder this now, but isn't it kind of dumb for a space station to be so open like it is? A single breach could kill everyone inside, while the whole fake environment seems to defeat the purpose and waste space that could make it more efficient. I have been playing Dead Space 2 lately so the topic of a space station environment interests me.

And the ED has the words "its not Zero". Razz
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 6:19 am Reply with quote
Divineking wrote:
And so this continues to be the most entertaining show of the season, even if for bad reasons. Keep up the good work Valvrave. Very Happy

Why is it taking some people so long to figure this show out? This show is not entertaining for "bad" reasons. The show is entertaining for EXACTLY the reasons the writers intend it to be: a glorious, over-the-top, big pile of ridiculousness. They know it. Anyone who has an I.Q. over 5 should know it, too. Anyone who comes in here cataloging the "unbelievable" bits is a retard.

But of course that won't stop those kinds of idiots coming in here and saying, "zomg, like I'm so sure *example x* could actually happen."

Rolling Eyes
Divineking

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 8:01 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Divineking wrote:
And so this continues to be the most entertaining show of the season, even if for bad reasons. Keep up the good work Valvrave. Very Happy

Why is it taking some people so long to figure this show out? This show is not entertaining for "bad" reasons. The show is entertaining for EXACTLY the reasons the writers intend it to be: a glorious, over-the-top, big pile of ridiculousness. They know it. Anyone who has an I.Q. over 5 should know it, too. Anyone who comes in here cataloging the "unbelievable" bits is a retard.

But of course that won't stop those kinds of idiots coming in here and saying, "zomg, like I'm so sure *example x* could actually happen."

Rolling Eyes

Don't misunderstand. I figured out in ep 1 that the writers clearly weren't taking this seriously and I'm cool with that. There's been way too much silliness for me to be convinced otherwise. When I say "bad" reasons though I just mean I'd rather enjoy the show for having a good storyline, deep characterization, etc. Normal reasons rather than being overtly stupid.

I'm fine for settlling with it being overly ridiculous though. It's amusing seeing how far they'll take it Laughing
yoshiyukiblade

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 4:59 pm Reply with quote
Well, this show is now one of my guilty pleasures of the season. It's so bad that it's funny and I can't stop watching! There's a whole debate about the logistics surrounding the student's spoiler[independence and separating their node from the main structure], but I'm just gonna laugh it off and see what happens next.
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 5:56 pm Reply with quote
I'll just leave this here with regards to Valvrave's logo being a bird.

Link

I didn't find this, by the way. I didn't think of this one at all. I thought it was meant to be related to the Yatagarasu from Japanese folklore. Sunrise's is on a little bit of a European mythos kick with this and Geass.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 6:33 pm Reply with quote
Bye bye, spoiler[Sun], it was nice knowing you. Sad
Ghost10516

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 8:41 pm Reply with quote
Anyone else like Rukino a ton more than Shouko?
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 11:56 pm Reply with quote
Ghost10516 wrote:
Anyone else like Rukino a ton more than Shouko?

yeah, i like Saki Rukino more than Shouko. She probably have some crazy history too.
Knoepfchen

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 3:44 pm Reply with quote
Divineking wrote:
THAT WAS FRIGGIN GLORIOUS!!!Laughing

Agreed.

I laughed so hard I almost fell off my chair when the black haired girl I don't remember the name of asked Shoko (after she wanted to do her littlespoiler[ striptease to convince her fellow students how the soldiers were leaving them behind]) if she might have some brain problems. Who needs any more proof this show knows completely what it's doing. I'm considering watching the coming episodes under a slight influence of a nice alcoholic beverage to increase the hilariousness even more. I don't care what happens to the characters or this world in the slightest anymore, but strangely enough, I'm still very much entertained.
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 9:35 pm Reply with quote
I'm a bit loss at words after watching the latest episode 5. Honestly, idk what to say anymore. I think I'll just turn my brains off and try to finish this show.

Honestly though, the latest episode was just way too silly. spoiler[The beginning part, that song, all the activities the students were doing, that mine scene], etc. SUNRISE. Maybe it'll bounce its way back soon but I face palmed myself many times from the latest episode. Just my opinion. That song was kinda nice though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
nightjuan

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 10:32 pm Reply with quote
The utter silliness of Valvrave is to be expected, so for me this is just business as usual.

There isn't any possible way you can have the students in charge and not be ridiculous, so I welcome the fact this show embraces that angle. Either you do that or you go for outright tragedy, but even in a serious show that's not something which usually happens right away, much less in this crazy one. Silly students being silly with some degree of internal tension to mix things up works well enough for this sort of material.

That said, I did like last week's episode more. spoiler[I'm sure the song caused some to imitate the Jun Fukuyama character's reaction though. ] Laughing

Well...at least we're getting more mecha action next time! And probably more L-Elf too. He went too low profile.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 11:53 pm Reply with quote
the blonde twintail avatar is funny at the end. I think the blonde twintail girl is like C.C., she gives people power.
Divineking

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 1:34 pm Reply with quote
VALVERAVE A CHRISTMAS CAROL!!! Complete with a musical number and everything! Laughing

This episode wasn't quite as ridiculous as last week's but it was still pretty amusing. I got a chuckle out of black haired chick thinking she might have vampire powers too. Silly girl, as far as anime is concerned only bishonens get to be vampires(Rosario+Vampire non-withstanding). The musical number was definently the funniest thing about this ep though. It was so cheesy and over the top that I was laughing my head off the entire time.

The ending to the episode was also pretty funny. I knew the chessy love triangle angle was coming sooner or later, and the robot girl thing's interpretation pretty much sold it. This show continues to be a sure winner for best comedy of 2013.
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 2:24 pm Reply with quote
spoiler[Module 77] was having a nice independence!
They were basically enjoying themselves to the max.
Relaxing a bit too much at times...
Well, problems were bound to appear sooner or later.
Their reckless behavior was bound to produce a few system failures.
spoiler[The song] was nice & motivational ^^
|comicchaser|

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 8:12 pm Reply with quote
Ok, I gotta admit, my approach to the show was totally misguided.
I expected a rather serious gundam-clone with the usual generic anti-war subtext common to those series.
But instead, I got a hilarious over-the-top comedic approach to the stale formula.
By now it genuinely feels like the show is embracing its incredible amount of stupidity and wallows in poking fun at all the cliched tropes and characters.
I'm probably giving the creators more credit than they deserve here, but hey, at least the show is fun now, apart from being amazingly dumb.
Better than offensviely boring AND dumb. Yes, GSD, I'm still looking at you. And I shall never look away.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 8 of 32