• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Newspaper: Evangelion's Hideaki Anno to Star in Ghibli's Kaze Tachinu Film

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 9:30 pm Reply with quote
Juno016 wrote:
But didn't Anno already play a part in a car commercial? >.>

That, and he also had a role in a particularly famous GAINAX OVA… Wink

It's a pretty neat and cool choice of casting and it sort of makes sense in its own way given the role. Hopefully, whoever dubs the film can somehow pull off a similar feat on the English side.

It's also really neat to see a famous director or actor go back to their roots or still have a connection to what helped make them famous. Some never look back or act as if they never where there, but it's always nice to see when someone hasn't forgotten where they came from.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Greboruri

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 9:41 pm Reply with quote
Conan-san wrote:
It just occurred to me how much Anno looks like some sort of Mirror Mirror version of Rolf Harris.

I don't think ANYONE would like to be compared to Rolf at the moment...
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 10:19 pm Reply with quote
oh dear lord... well everyone prepare yourself.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
icomeanon6
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 12:10 am Reply with quote
This is the most surprising thing I've read on ANN since...

This is the most surprising thing I've read on ANN.

First I thought, "Anno's having a voice cameo in a Miyazaki movie? Unexpected, but appropriate considering their history."

Then I read the word "protagonist." o_o

Then I read the words "when asked." O_O

Five years ago, I would have told you "Miyazaki knows what he's doing." After seeing Ponyo (which I loved, don't get me wrong), I'd say instead "Miyazaki does whatever the hell he wants!" And I guess that includes giving the lead role in what could be his last feature film to a long-time colleague who has no serious voice acting experience.

I thought it was a remarkable instance of things coming full-circle when Anno directed that live action God Warrior short that Ghibli produced, but this development is a bit of a head-scratcher. Strange bedfellows, Anno and Ghibli.
vanfanel

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 2:45 am Reply with quote
icomeanon4 wrote:
I thought it was a remarkable instance of things coming full-circle when Anno directed that live action God Warrior short that Ghibli produced, but this development is a bit of a head-scratcher. Strange bedfellows, Anno and Ghibli.

The director of the short was actually Shinji Higuchi, but Anno did co-produce (with Toshio Suzuki) and wrote the screenplay. And according to the closing credits, that's Hayao Miyazaki himself in the rubber suit!

So I dunno...some kind of quid pro quo, going on here maybe? Smile
Animerican14

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 3:23 am Reply with quote
Sam Murai wrote:

It's a pretty neat and cool choice of casting and it sort of makes sense in its own way given the role. Hopefully, whoever dubs the film can somehow pull off a similar feat on the English side.

JOHN LASSETTER IT IS. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ColonelYao47

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 7:12 am Reply with quote
This is awesome. A real, earnest "I'm Keith Hernandez" moment in anime...thank you, Mr. Miyazaki!
Chrno2

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 10:41 am Reply with quote
Well, happy beginnings. I can't wait to see this. Well, if it's anything like Shinichiro Watanabe's starring in his won work as Nabeshin then why not. I am really looking forward to seeing this film. Definitely want to see how this turns out.
MatFH

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 3:40 am Reply with quote
gatotsu911 wrote:
Ha. Anno is livin' the celebrity lifestyle but good.

Although, isn't he politically some kind of wacky right-winger? How does he get along with that pinko hippie Miyazaki?

I think Miyazaki qualifies as conservative, which is normally associated with the political right. Callng him a hippie is certainly inappropriate. He has an aesthetic traditionalism that is opposed to a lot of modern "chaos", but I bet he can be as strict a person you are likely to meet when he doesn't agree with you or he thinks you're not worth his time. That's how many people in the industry perceive him, and which makes Ghibli what it is.

But basically I don't know why something so random should even come into the equation when they have known each other professionally and personally for so long (and I mean to say that he doesn't fit neatly into such a cliché)....
gatotsu911

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 4:48 pm Reply with quote
gwern wrote:
gatotsu911 wrote:

Although, isn't he politically some kind of wacky right-winger?

I've been pointing that out for a while, yeah. This is just a really fantastic example though: Anno is literally voicing the heroic Zero designer, chosen instrument of the Japanese Air Force - great for invading Asian countries, fighting foreigners, strafing Pearl Harbor, etc.

Quote:
How does he get along with that pinko hippie Miyazaki?

Well, it's obvious why Anno would be pleased as punch to work with this movie. Why Miyazaki?

My best guess: Miyazaki *really* loves old-fashioned propeller-driven airplanes.

But I guess we'll see when the movie actually comes out.

My guess is, they find common ground in their shared disdain for Kids These Days.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2