• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Best VHS-Only Anime Releases?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Touma

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 10:42 pm Reply with quote
I do not know if the person who started this thread is getting anything from it but I am certainly getting some good ideas.
I will have to find out if those "Mermaid" OVA's are on the Geneon DVDs. If not they will be worth looking for, as will several other titles that have been mentioned.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 11:17 pm Reply with quote
Touma wrote:
I will have to find out if those "Mermaid" OVA's are on the Geneon DVDs. If not they will be worth looking for, as will several other titles that have been mentioned.

The mentioned one-shot OVAs (Mermaid Forest and Mermaid Scar) that adapted stories from Mermaid Saga are part of the Mermaid Forest TV anime that Geneon licensed.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
EricJ

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 12:30 am Reply with quote
Ggultra2764 wrote:
Touma wrote:

The mentioned one-shot OVAs (Mermaid Forest and Mermaid Scar) that adapted stories from Mermaid Saga are part of the Mermaid Forest TV anime that Geneon licensed.

And while we're talking about Rumic World, whatever happened to Maris the Chojo (The Supergal)?
(It's all the fault of being poor!)

Lots of great orphans from the beginning days of AnimEigo--
The original Spirit of Wonder OVA, Gall Force and Super Deformed Double Feature...And I'd long since despaired that Viz's heart will ever soften on acquiring Ranma 1/2: Top Ten Song Battle, just because they couldn't dub it.
ailblentyn

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 7:04 am Reply with quote
Spirit of Wonder: Miss China's Ring and (I think) everything Gall Force were released on DVD, EricJ. I know because I have them.
EricJ

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 2:29 pm Reply with quote
ailblentyn wrote:
Spirit of Wonder: Miss China's Ring and (I think) everything Gall Force were released on DVD, EricJ. I know because I have them.

Where did SoW:MCR show up? Was that another one of AnimEigo's don't-blink releases for the title, back when they were just starting to embrace DVD for UY? Think I remember something going wrong, like the disk rights fell through and it became a rarity, or maybe I'm thinking of the tape.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 2:33 pm Reply with quote
I would add a little know fanservice/romantic comedy called Homeroom Affairs to the list. Unlike most little OVAs this one actually ends and quite well in my opinion.
rojse

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 7:23 pm Reply with quote
Can't believe that I forgot "Ringing Bell" and "Windaria" - I've watched them before on rips to the internet, but I've never watched them on VHS proper.

"Windaria" is about two countries, both drawn into war. One young man, Isu, decides to join the war with one of the countries, and is forced to confront the horrors that he causes in his fights. The ending is one of the most depressing I've seen in any anime; it's great stuff.

"Ringing Bell" is about a young lamb who sees his father killed by a wolf. He then decides he wants to become a wolf too, in order to become powerful enough to take on his foes. I particularly liked the contrast by the extremely cute visuals and the increasingly dark and depressing storyline.

Thank you for the recommendations, everyone - I'll definitely try to look for all of these.
zrdb

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 7:29 pm Reply with quote
I'd have to go with Compiler-it's a shitting shame that ADV never released it on dvd, it's not the funniest or wittiest ova out there but I liked it a lot-luckily I had access to both parts 1 & 2 on virgin vhs tapes and transferred it to dvd.
zawa113

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 7:31 pm Reply with quote
I can only hope that Discotek sees fit to get Ringing Bell someday. And maybe A Journey Through Fairyland (Yousei Florence) to complete the Sanrio trio. And release them with sub. They did a good job with Sea Prince and the Fire Child which is why I hope Smile

Anyway, Orguss 02 isn't VHS only, but the DVD is long out of print. Although I managed to get a copy so now I want to sell those 3 Orguss 02 VHSs I got for really cheap a few months ago. Seriously, I don't even have a VHS player here, why did I get that?

Oh and the place where I got Orguss 02 has a ton of anime VHSs they need help getting rid of, so I'll gladly look for other things for people. I do recall seeing a new in shrink Catnapped for example (another DVD I already have but is now damn hard to come by).
ailblentyn

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 7:44 pm Reply with quote
EricJ wrote:
Was that another one of AnimEigo's don't-blink releases for the title
Possibly. It's been pretty rare for years. Though strangely despite its being rare the price hasn't gone up terribly over that time. Maybe as well as being rare it's incredibly unpopular! Very Happy
Hitokiri Kenshin

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 9:27 pm Reply with quote
Likely hard to find nowadays, but Maple Town was pretty ok.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2