• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What is your favorite anime that is not animated well?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
victor viper

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 5:16 pm Reply with quote
A few come to mind.

The original Di Gi Charat is a hoot, but the animation is practically non-existent at times. Then again, the crudeness of the artwork is part of the charm, right down to the giant walking thumb characters.

His and Her Circumstances also comes to mind, as some of the later episodes don't look so good. This is probably in the same vein as Evangelion (there was turmoil on the staff/we ran out of money/you're lucky anything got animated at all). However, as a romance anime, it's not such a big deal.

Last edited by victor viper on Sat May 11, 2013 5:31 am; edited 1 time in total
Sleverin

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 5:26 pm Reply with quote
thenix wrote:
yeah I mean i draw art, but I feel you can critique art even if you don't draw well. I haven't seen the higurashi anime because I'm reading the manga. It's a great manga.

I know this is a touch off topic...but I thank you for being like-minded on this topic. I dislike when I have discussions with people and give a list of reasons as to why I don't like an artistic work and their only response is, "Well, let's see you do better! I don't see you getting paid their salary pal!" I never find that conducive to a conversation.

Now that I think of this though, I've seen a couple of shows with heavy CG integrated into shows and I will admit it sort of ruins my enjoyment of them. I kinda wish they'd step back from the CG monsters/robots in shows as it looks...extremely hokey.
amarielah

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 5:34 pm Reply with quote
This has been corrected over the past few seasons, but Gintama was pretty badly animated during the first few years of its airing.
ScumbagYoshi

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 7:49 pm Reply with quote
I won't say favorite, but Crest/Banner of the Stars might be up there. While it's animations had their fair share of problems, I think the biggest problem was the fact that they kept using the same scenes over and over during a battle sequence, which I think killed a lot of the immersion.
Comet Reaper

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 8:52 pm Reply with quote
Medabots wasn't animated especially well, and it the words in the dub didn't match up with the characters, but it does have a nice little story. As long as you're okay with puns and kid jokes.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 8:53 pm Reply with quote
Higurashi seasons one and two in all honesty.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Polycell

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 9:36 pm Reply with quote
The original VN had some pretty low-quality artwork, so I suppose it's just fitting.
Galap

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 9:42 pm Reply with quote
ScumbagYoshi wrote:
I won't say favorite, but Crest/Banner of the Stars might be up there. While it's animations had their fair share of problems, I think the biggest problem was the fact that they kept using the same scenes over and over during a battle sequence, which I think killed a lot of the immersion.

Really?

I'm working through Banner now, and I think it has some of the best animated spaceship scenes I've ever seen.
ScumbagYoshi

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 10:10 pm Reply with quote
Galap wrote:
ScumbagYoshi wrote:

Really?

I'm working through Banner now, and I think it has some of the best animated spaceship scenes I've ever seen.

I never said the animated spaceship scenes were bad. I said the animation had its fair share of problems, which may/may not be referencing said scenes.

My problem with the spaceship scenes was that they were really repetitive in the sense that they seemed lazy and reused the same scenes over and over during the course of a battle, which ruined many moments honestly.
Sleverin

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 10:36 pm Reply with quote
I remember reading that...was it called Rose of Versailles? That is reportedly quite good, if I recall correctly, yet has quite a bit of recycled animation. Perhaps it's not bad animation, but it might fall under the umbrella.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 10:50 pm Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
Oh man, original Macross. Yes, most of it is animated decently enough for the time, but there are two scenes that are practically slideshows. The first is, I think, episode 11 where they're trapped on the ship. Max is the only one still in a Valkyrie/Veritech, and he infiltrates the ship from the outside, and it looks like a damn slideshow. I wish I was kidding, but wow, it's like they did half the key frames and left it at that.
The other is episode 24, aka the "Max vs Miriya" fight. Everyone is ugly and off model and the fight scene itself is animated nothing short of horrifying. For the most part, things work well enough for the rest of the series (though lots of characters get "derp eyes" all the time), but those two scenes, despite being serious scenes, are just burst out loud laughing because you weren't expecting animation that bad.

This was the first show that came to mind the moment I saw this thread title. To this day, I'd love to see the original Macross series animated as well as DYRL was back in the day!
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 11:02 pm Reply with quote
victor viper wrote:
His and Her Circumstances also comes to mind, as some of the later episodes don't look so good. This is probably in the same vein as Evangelion (there was turmoil on the staff/we ran out of money/you're lucky anything got animated at all). However, as a romance anime, it's not such a big deal.

I second this. In the final several episodes, it looked mostly like they were having the VAs just read you the manga out loud with the video doing little more than pan the page and fade in/out scenes. And they ended it in what could be considered the middle of the story.
EireformContinent

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 12:47 am Reply with quote
Sleverin wrote:
I remember reading that...was it called Rose of Versailles? That is reportedly quite good, if I recall correctly, yet has quite a bit of recycled animation. Perhaps it's not bad animation, but it might fall under the umbrella.

Actually it was and is praised for detailed graphic and animation- mind it was made in 70s.
Sleverin

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 12:59 am Reply with quote
Oh, okay. I have yet to see it, though I intend to since it's had such high praise. I just remember hearing about the recycled animation issue, which could put off some viewers. But eh, it's not a major issue.
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 1:14 am Reply with quote
Shonen series. DB, DBZ, Naruto. Series that run for that long often have 2 or 3 different animation teams working on the series with usually something I consider their A, B, and C teams.

A team is the best looking designs and always got most of the best moments in the story line or the moments that would allow the most freedom to add visually like fights. There are also the team that would often make the opening and endings to the show.
B team had decent design but the animation quality seldom matched what A team could dish out. They tend to get most of the bulk of the series.

C team looks like crap and would generally get fillers, throw away moments or fill in for B team every couple of episodes or every other episode. Whether or not any of this is technically true i have no clue since I can't read the credits and don't keep up with the internals of animation companies.

But I think Shonen series also get redrawn or touched up the most too for DVD releases. Can't say for sure since I never seen DB or DBZ upon release and Naruto.... I'm not a fan of Viz's method of selling DVDs. Plus those fillers.... ugh...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4