• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: K-ON! (Nearly) Life-Size Stickers Sold in US$540 Bundle of 5

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EspressoTibbs

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 7:47 pm Reply with quote
LUNI_TUNZ wrote:
Timeenforceranubis wrote:
That it's a joke at the expense of moe fans based on something very few, if any, of us do

Well, it's a joke. It's not meant to be rooted in complete factual accuracy. Last time I made a "Yo Momma" joke, I'm pretty sure his fat, ugly Momma, didn't really sit all around the room.

Yo Mamma so Moe Zac did an ANN Cast about her that resulted in a 70+ page talkback thread which ended in talks of misandry.

Seriously though, how much money has kyoani made from this show so far?
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 7:51 pm Reply with quote
DK1105 wrote:
Holy shit guys way to get waaay to defensive about this. For the most part I tend to agree with Zac and if you take yourself outside of the purely emotion fanboy rage for half a second you can see were Zac and most people is coming from.

What? He's obsessed with masturbation?

I really don't see where he's coming from other than a "I feel the need to incessantly mock a group of people who share differing tastes in anime"

Quote:
Is there anything wrong with watching or enjoying moe shows? No but when you start obsessing over moe then you need to take a step back and look at everything. When you feel the need to go to war over this really sit back think about how insane it is to get this upset about a character from an anime.

This is pure projection.

Who is obsessing? Why is obsessing over "moe shows" (which is a rather vague and nebulous thing to "obsess" over) worse than obsessing over a sports team, just to name something lots of people "obsess" over.

I mean holy shit, why is it incumbent on those of us who like these shows to not "obsess" over them, when we're not the ones constantly insulting people who don't like them?

The double standard here is just insane.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 7:55 pm Reply with quote
So do you just slap those things up or do you affix it with some kind of fluid... oh, I see.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 7:57 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
So do you just slap those things up or do you affix it with some kind of fluid... oh, I see.

Speaking of people who are obsessed with masturbation.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 8:00 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
stuff

Totally ignoring everything I said so you can keep your rage train running isn't OK.

If you have no response to me and will just keep running your mouth as though I didn't give you a sincere reply, then fine, but if that's the case, I'm going to cut this off here as it's very clear you don't care what I actually say, you just want to keep using me as a stupid strawman punching bag.

In which case I'm happy to kick your ass out of here because I don't need it.
ScumbagYoshi

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 8:01 pm Reply with quote
Someone said masturbation?

Also, let's be real here. People do obsess over moe to the point of masturbating over it. There's a reason why there are so many K-ON doujins, and Madoka ones, and whatever other moe-oriented shows there are out there.

Last edited by ScumbagYoshi on Fri May 10, 2013 8:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 8:03 pm Reply with quote
Even if one of these stickers were my personal favorite character, I would never put something like that on the walls of my home. Too tacky, IMO.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 8:10 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

If you have no response to me and will just keep running your mouth as though I didn't give you a sincere reply, then fine, but if that's the case, I'm going to cut this off here as it's very clear you don't care what I actually say, you just want to keep using me as a stupid strawman punching bag.

I read most of your articles. I don't listen to the podcast (but I don't listen to anyone's podcast on any subject. I find them a terrible waste of time and would rather read an article or a written interview. Purely personal taste, nothing against you).

OF COURSE people masturbate to all sorts of things. Who cares? I'm sure someone, somewhere, will masturbate to these stickers. Again, what difference does it make?

Similar to our friend who goes on and on about "hot glue" on figures, the actions of one or two people doesn't mean that everyone with vaguely similar taste in anime will do the same thing.

There are literally h doujins for every anime and manga ever made. Even ones that people who spend all their time bashing "moe" love. Again, so what? Why do you give a damn what some one, somewhere, might use as a masturbatory aid?

And yes, you are a sex-positive and generally super-liberal person, just like me. But on this one subject you just can't let people go. You feel like you HAVE to make the joke. Every. Single. Time.

If you'd just made it once or twice. Or did it in one preview article each year, probably we wouldn't be having this conversation. But its constant, incessant and belittling. As if you see no reason anyone would like these shows EXCEPT as masturbation material.

I just don't get why you find it necessary to keep on on this, and why you are so goddamn confused when some of the targets of your "jokes" start getting mad.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 8:11 pm Reply with quote
I hear they're machine washable. I guess that's good news for K-On fans, since there's no K-On trowel.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
EspressoTibbs

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 8:12 pm Reply with quote
tuxedocat wrote:
Even if one of these stickers were my personal favorite character, I would never put something like that on the walls of my home. Too tacky, IMO.

Also, hug pillows are much easier to dry hump than wall stickers. Walls are hard.
ScumbagYoshi

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 8:13 pm Reply with quote
@Fencedude

Don't know what's going on, but I mostly agree with you. Razz
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 8:26 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Why do you give a damn what some one, somewhere, might use as a masturbatory aid?

I don't. It's a joke.

Quote:

But its constant, incessant and belittling. As if you see no reason anyone would like these shows EXCEPT as masturbation material.

I just don't get why you find it necessary to keep on on this, and why you are so goddamn confused when some of the targets of your "jokes" start getting mad.

It isn't constant or incessant. At all. That's hyperbole to the point of misrepresenting what I talk about and what I joke about. This is why people accuse you of having a victim complex - you can't help but cast yourself as the poor put-upon victim of my hideous bullying, none of which, by the way, was ever directed at you personally. I'd say I make this joke at most twice or three times a year. At most. But that's all it takes to be called "incessant and constant", I guess.

I'm not actually confused by any of this, or this reaction. I'm a little mystified by the timing of it - SUDDENLY It's the worst thing in the world to joke about moe fans beating off to moe shows - but the reaction itself is not confusing to me at all.

If I'm being honest? I think you're thin-skinned to the point of absurdity. But just as it is not my job to make you feel good about yourself, it isn't my job to make you feel bad about yourself. And I'm willing to work on that and stop making jokes about masturbation that make you feel bad, or victimized, if it means less sturm und drang in the forums and elsewhere. So I'm going to do that.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 8:30 pm Reply with quote
One problem is that by you doing it, you legitimize it, causing others with your general opinion to repeat it here in the forums.

See penguintruth's obsession with "hot glued" figurines for an example of this in action.
ScumbagYoshi

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 8:41 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
One problem is that by you doing it, you legitimize it, causing others with your general opinion to repeat it here in the forums.

See penguintruth's obsession with "hot glued" figurines for an example of this in action.

That's untrue. I don't need someone to legitimize my opinion on a matter like this. >.>
relentlessflame

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 8:42 pm Reply with quote
Maybe I'd understand this whole tangent a bit more if this were some really-fanservicey show and the stickers were really sketchy and suggestive... but neither the show nor these stickers are anywhere near "NSFW" territory at all. I suppose the only reason why this was even newsworthy in the first place is it's because it's a well-known franchise and the stickers are quite expensive.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8