• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 1st 2 Madoka Magica Films' English-Subtitled BD Trailer Streamed

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheZeonicFront

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 9:58 am Reply with quote
I'm old enough now to know that getting upset over pronunciation is just an elitist thing among fans.

Do you think the Japanese go through such care to make sure they are pronouncing Avengers or Wolverine like a white person? Give me a break. Pronounce it how it looks in your native tongue and be done with it, when dealing with fictional words.

I understand if we are talking about actual people's names or a Japanese title, but stuff like Evangelion and Magica are made up. They don't have an actual official pronunciation in any language. And with both of those words, their root word is Latin based and if you really want to get technical they should be pronounced based in their Latin root word, not Japanese or English.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 1:22 pm Reply with quote
hpulley wrote:

I'm pretty sure this IS the only release there will be.

Pretty sure there will be *eventually*, but probably not for several years.

Also, you can also buy the movies from Animate USA (other version) and get some more goodies that are not available at RightStuf.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 2:45 am Reply with quote
Waiting wouldn't hurt. If they give a definte "no" at a panel or something then you could always grab a copy of the movie set from Amazon JP (if the other guys sell out). I wouldn't feel any pressure to buy. The only ones we have had to scramble for were Rakkyo (import) and OreImo (domestic).
Hellfish

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 7:48 pm Reply with quote
fuuma_monou wrote:
rarirurero wrote:
For fellow non-US fans of subbed Aniplex-properties:

For some reason, these movies can be ordered in a lot of non-US territories without additional shenanigans (i.e. eBay or other straw purchase option), at least from Rightstuf.

But this is just the Japanese release being imported by Aniplex of America. For people outside the U.S. and Canada, what's the advantage over importing directly from Japan?

Subtititles in a language I can actually understand (I do not know japanese I can understand spanish, english or french but no japanese at all.)

Also customs tends to avoid packages coming from the USA by USPS. Razz
ScumbagYoshi

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 7:52 pm Reply with quote
TheZeonicFront wrote:
I'm old enough now to know that getting upset over pronunciation is just an elitist thing among fans.

Do you think the Japanese go through such care to make sure they are pronouncing Avengers or Wolverine like a white person? Give me a break. Pronounce it how it looks in your native tongue and be done with it, when dealing with fictional words.

I understand if we are talking about actual people's names or a Japanese title, but stuff like Evangelion and Magica are made up. They don't have an actual official pronunciation in any language. And with both of those words, their root word is Latin based and if you really want to get technical they should be pronounced based in their Latin root word, not Japanese or English.

No. It's what pleb elitists do. Real elitists don't fanboy over Madoka. Wink

Rest of the post I completely agree with. Anime butcher English words all the time, but no one should care that much.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 9:04 pm Reply with quote
Hellfish wrote:
fuuma_monou wrote:
But this is just the Japanese release being imported by Aniplex of America. For people outside the U.S. and Canada, what's the advantage over importing directly from Japan?

Subtititles in a language I can actually understand (I do not know japanese I can understand spanish, english or french but no japanese at all.)

Like I said, this is the Japanese release that AoA is importing, which happens to have subtitles in multiple languages. CD Japan's listings strangely don't mention this, however.

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=ANSX-3131

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=ANZX-3131
pinder_2009

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 11:43 pm Reply with quote
I got my CE preordered a while ago. I'm hoping that I forget that I preordered so it'll be a nice surprise when it finally shows up
Adamb15

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 5:17 am Reply with quote
ianiceboy wrote:

Maybe if it were proper Latin, but it's not. If they're going to give the series a silly name, I'm going to pronounce their translation however I like.

- Mahou Shoujo Madoka Mah-Gi-Ka
- Puella Magi Madoka Ma-Ji-Ka

+1

I'm not calling it Madoka maggyka
fudge that noise.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3