• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Kids on the Slope Blu-Ray

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 4:03 pm Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
I just don't get the arguing over dub preference. It all just comes down to personal preference.

"Vegeta, what does the scouter say about his naivety level?"
"It's over nine thousaaaand!!!!!!"
"What, nine thousand?! There's no way that could be right!"

If we are comparing two equal performances then it comes down to personal preference. But some English dubs really are just plain bad. Guin Saga, anyone? Sure, its problems affected a small percentage of runtime. But with mistakes that massive and inexcusable, nothing but an F would suffice. There's no way anyone could justify preferring the English dub of that show when it is so offensively bad.
bs3311

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 4:26 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
If we are comparing two equal performances then it comes down to personal preference. But some English dubs really are just plain bad. Guin Saga, anyone? Sure, its problems affected a small percentage of runtime. But with mistakes that massive and inexcusable, nothing but an F would suffice. There's no way anyone could justify preferring the English dub of that show when it is so offensively bad.

Of all dubs that sucked from beginning to end like Ikki Tousen an Strike Witches. You choose Guin Saga which only had 7min bad/blooper dub out of around 600min? -_-. Innexcusable or not, I beleive it was a regular Sentai/Serephim accident with putting the wrong audio in the final product. NO, I do not support it but nothing like that has ever happened again and it does not seem it changed out of fandom rage like the recall of KOTS blu-ray discs (which I supported). And you better check your Scouter because its upside down.

You would probably have a better argument if you chose Ghost Stories english dub, but it backs up my argument that the japanese producers don't care about having accuracy in the dub because they suspect you will just watch the japanese dub. But the knowledge of that show skyrocketed thanks to Stevens work. So you can say it was a Aku no Hana like show, it introduced something questionable presentation wise but it makes you want to see the original material.
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 4:48 pm Reply with quote
^
Seven minutes may not be much time, but like I said, it was absolutely inexcusable for those mistakes to happen, and they were absolutely enormous. There's no way Sentai did any QC on the second set or they would have easily picked the problems up. The fact that they didn't is almost as damning as the mistake being allowed to happen in the first place. Nor did they do any QC for the Kids on the Slope Blu-Ray, as the problem was evident to anyone who had functioning eardrums. Does no-one from Sentai actually watch their own product before they ship it off? Not even an intern? It's simply disgraceful.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 4:59 pm Reply with quote
not sure Ghost Stories is a good example, since the Japanese asked ADV to make it a gag dub.
bs3311

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 5:52 pm Reply with quote
@dtm42

Well Sentai and Serephim probably understand with Guin because, like I said, nothing like that ever happend again. Though I hope Steven makes a Sgt. Frog like Gag Dub for Kill Me Baby, or a awesome shonen dub like Needless.

Quote:
Nor did they do any QC for the Kids on the Slope Blu-Ray, as the problem was evident to anyone who had functioning eardrums.

But there now doing a recall (which I will send my 2nd disc out to judge) which is in a step in the right/left-right direction.

Sentai/Section 23 films has been around for 5 years now, and from any company starting out they obviously are going to be somewhat of a sore or probably going to burn out for a bit (ex:Funi with Ocean dubs of DBZ, or Sentai/Section 23 rushing TOO MUCH CONTENT!). So if we want Sentai to change, then it is up too us to change them how we pulled them by the neck to recall KOTS discs which will go down in US Anime History Anime hyper. And maybe there will be a slew of questions or answers about QC to David Williams at Anime Expo and to the Rep at Anime Boston.

Maybe I'm just really patient or happy with anything I get. Or I only get angry at a product if it effects my enjoyment majority of the time.

Quote:
not sure Ghost Stories is a good example, since the Japanese asked ADV to make it a gag dub.

Me: Shocked ZA SHOCK!!!!!! PEDRO WHAT DO YOU THINK OF THIS!!

Pedro: ZA SHOCK!!!!!!!!!!!
Key

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 6:30 pm Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:
Whoa now, let me back up a little here. I was in no way trying to criticize Key's assessment of the dub or come down on you for your own opinion or claim that it wasn't valid. Anime dazed

Oh, I wasn't taking it that way at all. You just utterly flabbergasted me with such a radically different reaction, and I'm even more at a loss for how we got such completely different reactions after you explained in detail how you look at things, especially since I take a rather similar approach when evaluating dubs. I had absolutely no problem being immersed in the story with the given performances (well, except for the awkward name pronunciations) and found the slang enhancements to fit quite well. I have occasionally thought lately that Sentai's dubs in general try a little too hard to stay as close to the original dialogue as possible, but didn't find that to be a problem here. And I definitely can't comprehend where you're getting the mocking thing from.

But whatever. Even with the same approach, not everyone is going to see things the same way when it comes to art, I guess.

And for the record, I agree with you about DN, OHSHC, and Higurashi and heavily disagree with you about Durarara (one bad performance but otherwise great, including some of that year's best) and and especially Angel Beats! (not the greatest, but hardly bad enough to be a detriment).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 7:01 pm Reply with quote
I see Ouran was brought up, which somewhat amuses me. I have a very similar negative reaction to that dub. Honestly to me, I consider it to probably be the worst Texas dub of the past seven or eight years. Vic Mignogna and Caitlin Glass, the latter of who has iffy performances even on a good day, pretty much ruin the dub. The two are so horribly miscast and unable to catch the essences of their characters that it felt as though Funimation just grabbed two VA's who were popular at the time and threw them in the roles, or perhaps they just threw darts at a board with names.

I honestly don't understand how anyone can tolerate that dub, let alone like it. It's literally like an auditory abortion to me. I'm usually pretty tolerant of bad dubs, but Ouran deserved much better than the lazy effort Funimation gave it. But hey, at least they were able to pronounce most of the English words, unlike Shiki. I can tolerate 7 or 10 minutes of bad in a dub, such as Guin Saga, but Ouran was wretched from beginning to end and there is no excuse for that. Greg Ayres and Luci Christian were really the only good performances in it.

As for Kids on The Slope, I can't make a judgement yet as I've only see the first episode dubbed, but it seems like a solid effort so far. Everyone is cast pretty well and the performances are decent. It's a little rough around the edges, but that's usually the case for the early episodes of most dubs. I don't think it's the best dub that Sentai has put out, but I would rate it higher than the first episodes of some recent dubs from Funimationa and Bang Zoom.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 7:07 pm Reply with quote
No, Caitlin held auditions and cast who she felt best matched the characters. I can tolerate Ouran's dub because I don't think it's horrible. simple as that.
bs3311

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 7:22 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I see Ouran was brought up, which somewhat amuses me. I have a very similar negative reaction to that dub. Honestly to me, I consider it to probably be the worst Texas dub of the past seven or eight years. Vic Mignogna and Caitlin Glass, the latter of who has iffy performances even on a good day, pretty much ruin the dub. The two are so horribly miscast and unable to catch the essences of their characters that it felt as though Funimation just grabbed two VA's who were popular at the time and threw them in the roles, or perhaps they just threw darts at a board with names.

I can see people hating on Caitlin Glass since I considered her the monotone weak actor in the group. Hell, she did not change her annoying boyish tone when she wore a girly dress on episode 2 or maybe 3. I wish when back to a girl she would do her voice acting of the sister of the selectable sick girl in Kanon 2006. Maybe I just don't like Funimation's female pool of VA's. But I found Ouran's dub to be good, and this was during a time I did not like some of Funimations dubs. Okay, with all my commenting on "somewhat" defending/liking Sentai Filmworks. I think I became ANN publicly hated enemy #1 Anime hyper. Oh well, the review comment pages are slowing down.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 7:23 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
No, Caitlin held auditions and cast who she felt best matched the characters. I can tolerate Ouran's dub because I don't think it's horrible. simple as that.

Then is Caitlin Glass also did the casting, then she's doubly responsible for that being as bad as it was. Also, I never accused Funimarion of not holding additions, I said it just seemed as though they didn't do a very good job.

But as I said, everybody has their own opinions, so I guess it doesn't really matter. The release is bilingual, so I can always switch it to the Japanese. That's the case with most releases these days, except for a few older TV series and the occasional oddball like Persona (when Aniplex has their heads up their asses), so people always have the option of choosing the original Japanese. Ouran is really the only series I do that with regularly, but there are some shows where I prefer the Japanese as well, but I don't switch as I'm not always in the mood to read subtitles. There are also shows that I prefer the English, but I think some of those are due to hearing the English first or the Japanese track just not being very good either.
KLAC
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 9:09 pm Reply with quote
well i just finish watching it dub yet find it very good to watch.

really give since series is been texas dub (besides california is slowing rising back while where fresh new york or canada dub) besides if watch few or more times yea get to feel groove to watch it.

with combine both dub & music sound really quite 1-2 combo to check it to hear.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 9:12 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
And for the record, I agree with you about DN, OHSHC, and Higurashi and heavily disagree with you about Durarara

With all due respect, Key...

You said you liked Darrel Guilbeau.

Your opinion is instantly and immediately rendered invalid.

I mean, come on, man. There's having differing opinions about what good acting is, and then there's liking Darrel Guilbeau. Confused
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 12:57 am Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
Key wrote:
Stratum wrote:
The English dub has the original language track to figure out how the names are pronounced so there's less of an excuse. . .

And the average Japanese adult has had considerably more exposure to English (because they've studied it in school, even if not enough to be fluent) than the average Westerner has been exposed to Japanese, so that's balanced out.

I don't see that as a valid comparison at all. We're not talking about "average Westerners," we are talking about professional voice actors who are working on over-dubbing a show that was originally in Japanese. I think they have a professional obligation to listen carefully to the original performances and pronounciations for things like character names and try to reproduce them as closely as possible.

Seiyuu are professional voice actors too. Likely if both sides really wanted to, they'd make the pronunciations better. Professional voiceboxes are usually trained in different accents and inflections as well. And some seiyuu even know English, like Yuu Asakawa (every English word she utters, she should be pronouncing as closely correct as possible).
Stratum

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 3:19 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
I am also firmly convinced that problems seen with Sentai dubs/subs are much more a product of them being rushed and not carefully error-checked than an inherent problem with any particular director.

I'm sure that being rushed and all is part of the problem, but I think the director certainly contributes to it. For example in episode 13 of Angel Beats! Kanade hums "My Song" on the Japanese track but hums "Ichiban no Takaramono" in the dub despite Yuri still calling it "My Song." Plus the way it was used in the epilogue no longer makes any sense. This has nothing to do with quality control or it being rushed and is clearly the fault of the director.
Quote:
And the average Japanese adult has had considerably more exposure to English (because they've studied it in school, even if not enough to be fluent) than the average Westerner has been exposed to Japanese, so that's balanced out.

I don't think exposure to the other language is all that important to a voice actor in either language because it's not part of their job. I do however, expect the ADR Director to at least check the Japanese and then instruct the voice actors on how to pronounce them. Although I am willing to give some leeway when they use a pronunciation that sounds more natural in english like with Mari in Evangelion 2.22 (Mike McFarland talks about it in the commentary), but pronouncing Ryou's name as "Row" in Clannad doesn't sound right in English or Japanese. Also frequently changing how they say other names is incredibly sloppy. Yusuke Yoshino is one of the more common ones, and there's also Fuko's fake last name "Isogai" and Sanae says her own name differently then everyone else. This could have all been avoided by simply checking the Japanese which should be quick and easy.
rinkwolf10

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 1:34 pm Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
I honestly don't understand how anyone can tolerate that dub, let alone like it. It's literally like an auditory abortion to me. I'm usually pretty tolerant of bad dubs, but Ouran deserved much better than the lazy effort Funimation gave it. But hey, at least they were able to pronounce most of the English words, unlike Shiki. I can tolerate 7 or 10 minutes of bad in a dub, such as Guin Saga, but Ouran was wretched from beginning to end and there is no excuse for that. Greg Ayres and Luci Christian were really the only good performances in it.

Just want to point out that that show brought new blood in to the fandom. If you can't imagine how someone can stand that dub, then just show a casual anime viewer the dub and the sub and see with they choose. The dub is loads of fun. I know I thoroughly enjoyed it. I didn't even both with the sub because it didn't have the "energy" that the dub did. Also, the Dub was appropriate for the casual english viewing audience. I don't know what the die hard fans would think of it, but the dub is entertaining for causal anime viewers.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4