• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
RIGHT TURN ONLY!! - The Law of RTO!!

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RiskyTheShinigami

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 12:02 am Reply with quote
Heh heh, someone needs to fix the world manga review.. -_-;;;

Last edited by RiskyTheShinigami on Thu Jul 13, 2006 9:39 am; edited 1 time in total
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 12:15 am Reply with quote
Oops! You're right, that's last week's review.

The correct text is around here somewhere...
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 12:18 am Reply with quote
Fixed now; not sure what happened there.
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 12:54 am Reply with quote
Love Roma! And Drifting Classroom! Complete opposites except for the fact that they're both great (my memory is a bit hazy on DC though).
I'm suprised that Rising Stars came out so soon though. Unfortunatally most of the stories were mediocre (or worse), but I can recall a couple standouts that you mentioned. They're certianly improving every year, and I yearn for the day when there will no longer be any "This is the first chapter of my crappy fantasy epic" stories. I'd think about picking it up to see if I passed judgement on some of the stories too quickly, but I've still get the recent volumes of superior anthologies like Flight and Mome to pick up.
Out of curiosity, did they put the Blade of the Immortal rip-off in there?

Last edited by Kagemusha on Tue Jul 11, 2006 1:35 pm; edited 2 times in total
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 1:53 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I'm so glad Anime Expo is over! If I ever see the Yatta guys again it will be too soon.

The yatta guys were the highlight of the con, along with Man-Faye. Well ok, Kitamura was the highlight of the con, but the yatta guys weren't so bad.

Quote:
Absurdity for absurdity's sake has been the downfall of many a comedy title (just look at the utterly lightweight Bobobo-bobo-bobobo),

Bobobo and Ueki are hit-and-miss, I guess...Although I'm starting to doubt your consistency, when you gave Sugar a higher score than Ueki.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 12:17 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

Quote:
Absurdity for absurdity's sake has been the downfall of many a comedy title (just look at the utterly lightweight Bobobo-bobo-bobobo),

Bobobo and Ueki are hit-and-miss, I guess...Although I'm starting to doubt your consistency, when you gave Sugar a higher score than Ueki.

Those are completely different types of manga. I don't see any consistency issues there. ONe is an absurd shonen action/fighting manga, one is a uber-cute shoujo manga. Completely different.
DarkTenshi90

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 6:21 pm Reply with quote
I enjoyed the 8th volume of Wallflower, and I also noticed something within this volume, Sunako actually had more pictures of herself not being chibi looking than the previous volumes.

Sure, this series doesn't have much of a story line, but I like those stand-alone types of things. I dunno, I guess it just differs in opinion for a lot of people. Though I do agree that Tomoko Hayakawa should draw (or have people draw for her) more backgrounds. She's really good at drawing Kyohei, Yuki, Ranmaru, and Takenaga (and the times she fully draws Sunako), but I wish some of her focus went on the backdrops. Oh well. Confused
blueharlequin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:36 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Listening to Bach's Goldberg Variations on the way home helped to reset my brain from the sensory overload. What's your "opposite of Japanese pop culture" when you need to get away from the fandom?

I went to work the very next day after the con was over, so crunching numbers definitely reset me. However, when I need to "get away" I cook or listen to German opera. Razz
aorta

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:49 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Listening to Bach's Goldberg Variations on the way home helped to reset my brain from the sensory overload.

I'm guessing you also do the Irresponsible Pictures blog?
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 10:49 pm Reply with quote
aorta wrote:
Quote:
Listening to Bach's Goldberg Variations on the way home helped to reset my brain from the sensory overload.

I'm guessing you also do the Irresponsible Pictures blog?

Yes. (Heh, it's still linked in the www of my forum profile, which I must have done ages ago...)
Pop-Art Samurai

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 2:55 pm Reply with quote
Bach is good. The Goldberg's are good. I actually wrote an essay not long ago that tied the Goldberg's in with Cowboy Bebop. It was... interesting.
Seiitsuno Megami

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 4:03 pm Reply with quote
I'll buy it anyway, because I loved the anime, but just out of curiosity: is that "All Ages Adventure" box really on the cover of Sugar? o__o;;

Opposite of J-pop? Uh...heavy metal.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 4:13 pm Reply with quote
Seiitsuno Megami wrote:
I'll buy it anyway, because I loved the anime, but just out of curiosity: is that "All Ages Adventure" box really on the cover of Sugar? o__o;;

To be honest ... I really hope not.

It might just be a proof image since it doesn't come out for a while, so the final cover might look different (although I believe the main image will stay the same).
runpup

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 10:49 am Reply with quote
Quote:
In the aftermath of a strange earthquake, an entire elementary school vanishes, leaving nothing but a hole in the ground. While parents mourn and authorities investigate, the students and teachers find themselves somewhere far away...somewhere cold and dark...a lifeless, nightmarish wasteland in which their school stands like a lone fortress. As panic turns to terror, as the rules start to fall apart, a sixth-grade boy named Sho and his friends must fight to survive in an alien world.

This manga was adapted into a Jdorama called Long Love Letter.
I've only seen two episodes so far (fansubbers are dragging their ass on this one), but it looks like it could go in a "Battle Royale" direction.
It has 4 of the hottest stars in Japanese TV -- Tokiwa Takako,Yamada Takayuki,Yamashita Tomohisa and Tsumabuki Satoshi..

http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Long_Love_Letter
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1