• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: California Business Owner Holds Poll for Maid Café

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 4:07 pm Reply with quote
And I'll gladly ignore every PM you send on that matter. I don't know what makes you believe I have the remotest interest in discussing K-Pop and Korean wave, or anything related with that.
Kirkdawg
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 4:28 pm Reply with quote
I just wonder what they plan on changing to adapt to the US market? Or are they really just going to copy paste their model and plant it in LA? What about the waitresses? Are they going to bring somebody from Japan to train them, because I doubt anyone has any experience providing service in this manner. Will they use discriminatory hiring practices (ie Japanese females only) or will they include other nationalities/races?

These are some of the questions I've always had regarding a Japanese maid cafe opening in the US.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 4:35 pm Reply with quote
I don't know about the US, but there are already a handful of maid cafes in Mexico City and they seem to do very well. I'm not sure of how the hiring and training process goes, but the one I've visited, the maids are all locals, I suppose that'd be the obvious way to go?
LUNI_TUNZ

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 5:39 pm Reply with quote
I assume they can't hire only Japanese females, because I'm sure that'd probably count under discriminating on the basis of race, and therefore illegal. Plus, you can only hire who applies, and if they get more white and black women, then they can only hire more white and black women.

They'd have to adapt to the market, copy-pasting (or at least attempting to) hasn't quite worked in the past. And it's in fact what every successful business that launches in foreign territory does. Such as all those fast food restaurants, that serve completely unrecognizable menus in other countries.
Joe Carpenter

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 7:40 pm Reply with quote
I bet Justin Sevakis will be found there a lot Laughing
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 9:42 pm Reply with quote
Kirkdawg wrote:
Will they use discriminatory hiring practices (ie Japanese females only) or will they include other nationalities/races?

I've heard that they're only looking for Asian girls. It was a while ago, and I heard it from a friend who was researching into it.

Of course, I don't know if it's official or not, though.
Dfens

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 7:08 pm Reply with quote
I live where their was a US Maid Cafe and it failed, also their is another one that opened up about 50 miles away as far as I know it's still in business.

They will never work in the US for many reasons but first why the one locally where I lived failed. The owner had the maid cafe on sundays I believe and only a small number of maids. Plus it was very small inside with little to no tables and open for a few hours. His primary business was a anime goods shop that had nothing in stock or of any value so in the end various bad decesions caught up with him and he went bankrupt.

The other one is near a Japan Town but not in it and is not that easily accessable so people don't want to fight nightmarish traffic going into a major city to go see it. Also the food is ok, not that great and of course over priced.

As for the reason why the one in Detroit failed, come on they're aren't exactly the Anime hub when it comes to fans, and fans with money to spend. And not to be racist I don't care what race the maids where they were all fat and ugly I can see that for free walking down the street all day long.

Maid Cafes are just not part of our culture. They cost so much to run renting a building and the high wages for the maids, you don't think girls are going to dress up and act all cute for minimum wage do you? And the biggest reasons is repeat customers, people might try it once or twice but they're not going to go every weekend or day like they do in Japan yeah we have creepy people and otakus as well here in the states but not ones who will keep them afloat.

It's more like a tourist attraction oh I went but it's not worth going a second time. Another reason besides repeat customers I can think of is the maids themselves. When we hear maid cafe we think Japan and Japanese girls most of these places will try to hire any girls who are willing to fill the role but it just feels off. Not to say that Japanese girls are some how superior but if you went to Japan to a maid cafe would you want to see american girls? We have that already it's called HOOTERS.

Not only that most of these places don't hire exactly the prettiest girls they can find, even if they could they would probably want too high wages to employ them.

I just don't see any maid cafe succeeding and being profitable too many factors can cause your downfall but it's a given that without repeat business it just won't work.
Alexander55

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 7:40 pm Reply with quote
Dfens wrote:
I live where their was a US Maid Cafe and it failed, also their is another one that opened up about 50 miles away as far as I know it's still in business.

They will never work in the US for many reasons but first why the one locally where I lived failed. The owner had the maid cafe on sundays I believe and only a small number of maids. Plus it was very small inside with little to no tables and open for a few hours. His primary business was a anime goods shop that had nothing in stock or of any value so in the end various bad decesions caught up with him and he went bankrupt.

The other one is near a Japan Town but not in it and is not that easily accessable so people don't want to fight nightmarish traffic going into a major city to go see it. Also the food is ok, not that great and of course over priced.

As for the reason why the one in Detroit failed, come on they're aren't exactly the Anime hub when it comes to fans, and fans with money to spend. And not to be racist I don't care what race the maids where they were all fat and ugly I can see that for free walking down the street all day long.

Maid Cafes are just not part of our culture. They cost so much to run renting a building and the high wages for the maids, you don't think girls are going to dress up and act all cute for minimum wage do you? And the biggest reasons is repeat customers, people might try it once or twice but they're not going to go every weekend or day like they do in Japan yeah we have creepy people and otakus as well here in the states but not ones who will keep them afloat.

It's more like a tourist attraction oh I went but it's not worth going a second time. Another reason besides repeat customers I can think of is the maids themselves. When we hear maid cafe we think Japan and Japanese girls most of these places will try to hire any girls who are willing to fill the role but it just feels off. Not to say that Japanese girls are some how superior but if you went to Japan to a maid cafe would you want to see american girls? We have that already it's called HOOTERS.

Not only that most of these places don't hire exactly the prettiest girls they can find, even if they could they would probably want too high wages to employ them.

I just don't see any maid cafe succeeding and being profitable too many factors can cause your downfall but it's a given that without repeat business it just won't work.

Well, obviously, the Detroit Maid business was bound to fell. It was set off in the wrong location. Detroit is mostly African-American and most in that district don't know Jpop or maid cafes. And well, some of the girls they selected.....yeah it was bound to collapse.

Maid cafes could still work, if they are established mostly in the San Francisco Bay area. There are a lots of Japanese-Americans residing in that region and lots of Jpop fans. And its one of the most liberal areas in the nation so yeah, it could work. It won't be profitable as a Hooters obviously but you've gotta start somewhere. Better to start a business than never. Get rid of the "risks/fears" out of your head and just work on making it work and let the rest do the work.
Dfens

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 10:38 pm Reply with quote
The other cafe I was talking about is in San Francisco it's about 1 mile or so from Japan Town. But it's not really like a real maid cafe, it thinks that waitresses dressed in maid outfits and trying to style the place to J-pop/Anime fans will give them a pass. I don't know how well they are doing profit wise but their doors are still open, for how much longer who knows.

In SF and where I live their is plenty of Japanese people and other races that could be potential customers but these imitation places just can't get it right and in will never be like it is in Japan. Plus as I said it's repeat customers that would keep the doors open and it's just not going to happen. It's so niche I mean if one opened up around the corner from your house are you going to go their as often as you would a Mcdonalds and pay double or more for lame food and drinks?

As for opening a business my advice to you or anyone is unless you have complete faith it will succeed and know when to quit before you get in to deep don't ever open one. Because for most people if it fails they loose everything their homes, life savings, everything. Why would you want to go bankrupt, homeless, and be miserable if it all comes crashing down?

Even for my side job I thought about doing that all on my own opening my own shop but it's just not worth it. The customers are always their but the operating costs mostly the rent is what would kill me, you still owe rent even if you don't make enough that month to cover it. Yeah if I could do it out of my home and get people to come to me I'd be set and only have work 2-3 hours a day. Not happening though.
Shiratori1

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 11:26 am Reply with quote
Kirkdawg wrote:
I just wonder what they plan on changing to adapt to the US market?Or are they really just going to copy paste their model and plant it in LA?

Within the survey (which I filled out), they included sections where one could voice their opinion on what they like and don't like about the original concept, as well as give recommendations for what features the Little Tokyo store should have in addition to the aspects contained within the original concept, so most likely they will make some changes to make the overall concept more palatable to Americans (hopefully the changes will be minor (authenticity, in my opinion, is necessary for this to be successful in the long run).

Quote:
What about the waitresses? Are they going to bring somebody from Japan to train them, because I doubt anyone has any experience providing service in this manner.

Maidreamin has indicated several times on their U.S. facebook page that the future manager for the Little Tokyo store (her name is Ria) is in Japan currently and undergoing training for her future duties (the store will open once she finishes her training and moves to L.A.)

Quote:
Will they use discriminatory hiring practices (ie Japanese females only) or will they include other nationalities/races?

On their facebook page, they have indicated that they will be hiring local individuals to staff the store:

Quote:
We are not planning to bring maids from Japan at this point, so we want to find good casts here in LA!

In my opinion, they are doing all the things necessary to give the store the best possible chance of succeeding (will be serving authentic Akihabara food and drinks, creating an authentic Maid-cafe atmosphere, bringing over management that will have significant knowledge and experience in how to successfully run a maid cafe, choosing a great location that makes sense, asking prospective customers for their opinion, etc.). Ultimately, I hope that this is successful in the long run and will definitely visit the store when it opens to help it achieve that goal.
LUNI_TUNZ

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 4:38 pm Reply with quote
Dfens wrote:

"I don't mean to be racist, I'll go a step lower."
Polycell

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 1:10 pm Reply with quote
I hate to say it, but their publicity photos had a tendency of using one of their worst-looking maids. That said, I think "we serve, you prepare" had a lot more to do with their failure than less-than-decent looking waitstaff.
LUNI_TUNZ

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 5:40 pm Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
I hate to say it, but their publicity photos had a tendency of using one of their worst-looking maids. That said, I think "we serve, you prepare" had a lot more to do with their failure than less-than-decent looking waitstaff.

The shitty over-priced food was a very valid complaint. I mean, $4 for Instant Ramen you have to cook yourself? The hell.

I'm still of the opinion that the Maid Cafe theme, still won't work in America.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3