• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gurren Lagann Staffers Stream Kill la Kill's 1st Ad

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kazziyan

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 11:14 am Reply with quote
Super excited for this. TTGL written all over it.
dan9999

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 11:15 am Reply with quote
Looks so darn badass. Pretty hyped about this one.

We need more anime like this one.

Look at the fabolus chara designs, fantastic, the vibes this first ad gives...excellent:

Kougeru

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 11:33 am Reply with quote
kazziyan wrote:
Funny I got the opposite feeling. Looks/feels nothing like TTGL to me , and this is a great thing because I felt GL was/is one of the most overrated anime of the past decade and was a huge waste of time while this looks awesome so far
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 11:39 am Reply with quote
Woo, concept art!
dan9999

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 11:45 am Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
kazziyan wrote:
Funny I got the opposite feeling. Looks/feels nothing like TTGL to me , and this is a great thing because I felt GL was/is one of the most overrated anime of the past decade and was a huge waste of time while this looks awesome so far

Na, you wanna talk overrated? Then I have perfect examples: Haruhi, Madoka, Clannad.
kazziyan

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 11:46 am Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
kazziyan wrote:

Probably because that's Sushio's artstyle giving off that vibe to me. I liked TTGL. I did think it was a bit overdone with the whole "quantum-dividing" thing, but it was solid with its characters and music! I think this can easily have the potential to overdo it though, I agree.
dan9999

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 11:49 am Reply with quote
kazziyan wrote:
Kougeru wrote:
kazziyan wrote:

Probably because that's Sushio's artstyle giving off that vibe to me. I liked TTGL. I did think it was a bit overdone with the whole "quantum-dividing" thing, but it was solid with its characters and music! I think this can easily have the potential to overdo it though, I agree.

Easily? Hardly. Its not impossible but reaching TTGL level and heck, surpass it...no easy feat by any means. I dont get any vibes that this anime will be the one to do it, but I expect amazing things out of it and to be pretty high caliber.

TTGL was a whole exaggerated but super awesome homage to past eras, to big classics, that is why it feels so overwhelming and where some of the "overdone" comments come from, everything and anything was intentional and did it masterfully, that was precisely its main charm.
danilo07

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 11:59 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Woo, concept art!

Welcome to every single Aniplex ad ever.
Heinzendegger

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 12:15 pm Reply with quote
dan9999 wrote:

Na, you wanna talk overrated? Then I have perfect examples: Haruhi, Madoka, Clannad.

While they might be overrated, at least they have appeal toward older audience, not jut the young teenagers like TTGL.
Well, at least Kill la Kill doesn't go for the "cute and sexy girls" despite an all girl cast, they actually are quite hideous, so there's chance that there's gonna be an interesting story.
CCharmanderK

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 12:30 pm Reply with quote
dan9999 wrote:
Kougeru wrote:
kazziyan wrote:

Screw you, screw you and screw you.

If you want a real overrated anime, take a look at K-on.
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 12:40 pm Reply with quote
You wanna talk overrated? What about That Anime That I Don't Like But Other People Like? That POS is praised by idiots everywhere!

On a non-stupid argument note: this looks pretty neat. It'll be a while before we see more than just concept art, but I'm hoping the wait for the actual series isn't too long.
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 12:42 pm Reply with quote
Heinzendegger wrote:

While they might be overrated, at least they have appeal toward older audience, not jut the young teenagers like TTGL.

That's a terrible example you know.

A lot of the people that I know that saw TTGL were older mecha fans, raised on things like Grendizer, Getter Robo, Mazinger Z, Raideen, Combattler, etc and actually enjoyed TTGL because of all the little nods and the like.

So yeah, terrible example. Laughing
Kastel

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 12:45 pm Reply with quote
WOW TRIGGER THE CREATOR OF INFERNO COP ONLY MADE STILL FRAMES FOR THIS AD JESUS THEY REALLY NEED 500,000 YEN THOSE PRICKS
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Heinzendegger

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 12:47 pm Reply with quote
Lynx Amali wrote:

That's a terrible example you know.

A lot of the people that I know that saw TTGL were older mecha fans, raised on things like Grendizer, Getter Robo, Mazinger Z, Raideen, Combattler, etc and actually enjoyed TTGL because of all the little nods and the like.

So yeah, terrible example. Laughing

I never said they are not boy spirited older guys.
But it doesn't change the fact that your average adult has outgrown these shounen shows. Though for some reason in the West it seems like they are more of those people that stuck in their teenage phrase.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 1:10 pm Reply with quote
Heinzendegger wrote:

Though for some reason in the West it seems like they are more of those people that stuck in their teenage phrase.

Unfair criticism. Most anime fans are "stuck in their teenage phase" that's why most anime are teenage shows.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4