• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gurren Lagann Staffers Stream Kill la Kill's 1st Ad

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 1:19 pm Reply with quote
Can't say I agree with this GL criticism. While obviously it's "shonen" (if that's what you want to call it) action and what not would appeal to the young people. It's fantastic writing and plotting doesn't treat the audience like an idiot and can be enjoyed by any age. It's a classic mech show that fans who love that will appreciate the excellent execution of the genre. It's pretty much the perfect show.

Anyway, not much in these ads. Fantastic character designs though. I hope this delivers.

[quote="CCharmanderK"]
dan9999 wrote:

If you want a real overrated anime, take a look at K-on.

Yep, I don't know how shows like that are for the older crowd. I mean I guess thats who watches them, but eh.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Westlo

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 1:45 pm Reply with quote
ITT people complain about character designs and concept arts to promote a show that's nowhere near airing in an industry where 99% of episodes are finished near airing time.
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 2:03 pm Reply with quote
Looks fun, can't wait.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 2:03 pm Reply with quote
I hope Trigger can pull it off but honestly, I am very looking forward to this soon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blem

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 3:42 pm Reply with quote
The staff from the greatest anime of all time together again?
I'm hyped.

The schoolgirl focus is putting me off a little but these guys are masters of making things much better than they first appear so I'll keep my hopes up.
Heinzendegger

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 3:53 pm Reply with quote
Greatest anime of all time? Let's not overexaggerate things here.
Maybe one of the better shounen hot blooded mecha series. It's actually on quite a low tier in my eyes.

Last edited by Heinzendegger on Sat May 11, 2013 3:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Animehermit

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 3:54 pm Reply with quote
I really hope the music from this trailer is the intro music.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 4:12 pm Reply with quote
Heinzendegger wrote:
Greatest anime of all time? Let's not overexaggerate things here.
Not an exaggeration at all. It really is.

But, opinions.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Animehermit

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 4:14 pm Reply with quote
I would hesitate to call it a shounen series. Mostly because that word has a fairly strange definition. Many would consider shounen a genre rather than a demographic.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 4:18 pm Reply with quote
animehermit wrote:
I would hesitate to call it a shounen series. Mostly because that word has a fairly strange definition. Many would consider shounen a genre rather than a demographic.
Yeah, I thought so as well. When people say shounen I think of stuff like DragonBall and Bleach. I mean GL is mech show with strong growing up/identity themes and while it has that "hot blood/guts!" stuff, thats not what I actually associate with shounen shows. I don't know, honestly at this point I've lost all interests and knowledge on what genres and these anime names even mean anymore.
Heinzendegger

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 4:25 pm Reply with quote
I consider shounen a demographic, and it usually shows in a show's theme.
Not always. And I'm not saying shounen can't be great, but it rarely clicks with me as it probably does with many younger boys.
Animehermit

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 4:32 pm Reply with quote
Heinzendegger wrote:
I consider shounen a demographic, and it usually shows in a show's theme.
Not always. And I'm not saying shounen can't be great, but it rarely clicks with me as it probably does with many younger boys.

It has nothing to do with being younger or not as mature. Some shounen is just plain good fiction.

There's a lot more going on in TTGL than "shounen action". It's got solid writing, a good ending and neat message. As well as a ton of call backs to classic mecha shows. People like it for a lot of reasons. Like with all great shows.
dan9999

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 5:17 pm Reply with quote
Heinzendegger wrote:
dan9999 wrote:

Na, you wanna talk overrated? Then I have perfect examples: Haruhi, Madoka, Clannad.

While they might be overrated, at least they have appeal toward older audience, not jut the young teenagers like TTGL.
Well, at least Kill la Kill doesn't go for the "cute and sexy girls" despite an all girl cast, they actually are quite hideous, so there's chance that there's gonna be an interesting story.

Those 3 appealing to older audiences? nah, not true, well, dunno what you define by older audiences...

Older audiences are 30+, while not a mature anime, it did appeal to great number of older anime fans.

I agree with the second part partially, not with the "hideous" part, hwta about those design is hideous? they are badass, cool, hot! exactly what I would expect from former Gainax talent.

CCharmanderK wrote:
dan9999 wrote:

If you want a real overrated anime, take a look at K-on.

Yep, I don't know how shows like that are for the older crowd. I mean I guess thats who watches them, but eh.

Those are definitely not for the mature fanbase.

And well yea, but K-ON its not critically acclaimed, just uber popular, the other receive more praise than they deserve, particularly Clannad.

Anyway, to go back to TTGL, even I, as much as I love it, would not go as far as call it greatest or even one of the greatest anime ever.
But, on the other hand, I think its the only title from the 2000s, that could be a real classic, considering a classic in all the extension of the word is something with universal appeal (definitely impossible for K-ON, Madoka, CLannad, and company), has artistic quality and its also influenced (heavily) by other classics and masterpieces of the past.
Heinzendegger

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 5:39 pm Reply with quote
dan9999 wrote:

Those 3 appealing to older audiences? nah, not true, well, dunno what you define by older audiences...

Those three are epitomes of anime intended to appeal to, and in turn consumed by adult males as far as anime goes. As well as K-On.
The same way TTGL's main audience is teenage boys. That's not hard to get how these things work really.
Animehermit

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 5:44 pm Reply with quote
Heinzendegger wrote:
dan9999 wrote:

Those three are epitomes of anime intended to appeal to, and in turn consumed by adult males as far as anime goes. As well as K-On.
The same way TTGL's main audience is teenage boys. That's not hard to get how these things work really.

Demographics are demographics, but not everyone who loves TTGL is a teenage boy, or immature. Which is what you say in earlier posts. Similarly there are teenage girls who like K-On and the rest (they might be in the minority though).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4