• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Intellectually-Challenged Heroes

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 3:04 pm Reply with quote
RoverTX wrote:
What about Goku! The grandfather of all stupid heros!

Really? If Goku is the "grandfather", then what would Kinnikuman (the real first "stupid hero", not to mention a hyper-reluctant one) be?

Some people really have to realize that Dragon Ball & Goku were far from the first when it comes to many things... Not everything, since they did do some things "first", but nowhere near as much as others give it credit for.
zawa113

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 3:18 pm Reply with quote
albanian wrote:
Could I put in a word for Justy Ueki Tylor? Calculating genius or lucky bonehead? I know where my money would go.

Same, I thought I'd get some inkling at the end of the series of which side he falls on, but I never did and thus am stuck still confused. He's the only character that I was never able to tell if he was genius or just really lucky.

On a side note, anyone ever go through TRSI's automated voice system? Captain Tylor voices it! It's practically worth calling for that alone!
Kazemon15

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 3:33 pm Reply with quote
I think Sawada Tsunayoshi should be on that list....since he is considered "no good" at everything (especially at school) but still manages to spoiler[become the Tenth Generation Mafia Boss, ten years in the future as well as save that future with the very wits he wasn't supposed to have].
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 3:33 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised to not see Captain Tylor on this list.

I personally think another possible contender would've been Kamina from Gurren Lagann. It's one thing to push boundaries and reach beyond the limits of what people have ventured before--it's another to always intentionally choose hard-way battles with the enemy that defies rationality, among other things, and succeed solely on dumb luck. When he interrupted Yoko taking a shot in the first episode because a "real man faces his enemy," he pretty much lost me there.

Yay for Excel being #1! Only two more volumes before the manga finally ends, which is just as sad as it is exciting!

I was very surprised to see Photon, since it's been so long since I've seen the anime, although he definitely belongs on the list. Of all the Tenchi spin-offs, this turned out to be the one I seriously didn't care for, for I very much cared less about Photon himself. Say what you want about Tenchi, I could at least see a little bit why the girls were attracted to him, and he at least had some substance to him. But Photon lacked all ounce of believability, and was just plain annoying. Seriously, his mind is so blank that he mistakes dolls for his female friends, even after they've been deflated, until somebody freaking points it out to him. The girls' attraction to him was as artificial as they came.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 3:56 pm Reply with quote
What? No Capt. Okita? (Yamato 2199)

Also I would have added Mihoshi from Tench Muyo to that list of intellectually challenged. Wink

Last edited by Mohawk52 on Sat May 11, 2013 3:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 3:59 pm Reply with quote
@pachy_boy:

Yeah, definitely Kamina. He dreamt big but only succeeded initially due to sheer blind luck and the fact that the plot required him to. He was your typical Anime moron, just even more loud, more asinine and more badly dressed than usual.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 4:13 pm Reply with quote
can you still be badly dressed if all you ever wear is pants, sandals and sometime a cape?
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 4:21 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
can you still be badly dressed if all you ever wear is pants, sandals and sometime a cape?
Only if you live north, or south of the Tropics.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 4:28 pm Reply with quote
Yes. Yes you can. And don't forget his ridiculous sunglasses, which make it even worse.
Kastel

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 4:31 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Intellectually-Challenged

Isn't this the politically correct term for mental retardation? It's pretty offensive, considering the fact they aren't. Just call this List "7 Stupid Heroes."
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 4:37 pm Reply with quote
Kastel wrote:
Quote:

Isn't this the politically correct term for mental retardation? It's pretty offensive. Just call this List "7 Stupid Heroes."
"Stupid Heroes" is not politically correct, and no it doesn't mean "mental retardation". That would be "mentally challenged". Wink
Apashi

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 4:38 pm Reply with quote
Excel! Yep she wins, no doubt! Nice list and suggestions here. Kinnikuman was pretty dumb though, even more so than other shonen heroes. It would have been nice to see him here.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 4:41 pm Reply with quote
Lots of impressive facial hair in anime, but I had to go with Kotetsu's kittybeard (which to me look more like little Batman faces) for the cool factor.
EnigmaticSky

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 6:16 pm Reply with quote
I have to say I like Jet's beard the most. Don't know why, but it works with him.
Kastel

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 6:18 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Kastel wrote:
Quote:

Isn't this the politically correct term for mental retardation? It's pretty offensive. Just call this List "7 Stupid Heroes."
"Stupid Heroes" is not politically correct, and no it doesn't mean "mental retardation". That would be "mentally challenged". Wink

AAIDD pretty much said intellectually-challenged means the same thing as mental retardation. It's more PC.

Anyway, the heroes are stupid. [why do i say these things]

Last edited by Kastel on Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5