• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ghost in the Shell Arise Anime's 1st Full Trailer Streamed

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Panoptican

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 12:10 pm Reply with quote
I actually just started watching SAC. I find it a little weird that she runs around in that sexy outfit doing police/CT work, especially with everyone else in normal clothes. It's probably the thing I dislike the most about the show.
njprogfan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 12:14 pm Reply with quote
I'm really looking forward to a Sci-fi series that's not centered around teen-aged characters. Since I've only seen the original movie I'm not as anal about the character designs as other people. It's been over ten years since the TV series, I don't see why the designs need to be exactly as they were back in the day. Going by this trailer, it looks to have very nice animation and really, are the designs THAT different. Heck, imagine if Shinbo had a hold of this franchise? I can just imagine the outcry.
Wolfgirl90

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 1:39 pm Reply with quote
Panoptican wrote:
I actually just started watching SAC. I find it a little weird that she runs around in that sexy outfit doing police/CT work, especially with everyone else in normal clothes. It's probably the thing I dislike the most about the show.

Well, throughout the GitS series, it is shown that Motoko doesn't really care about human perceptions of sexuality. Because of this, her sexual orientation is up in the air; she once had a boyfriend, then she has lesbian sex (some people concluded that she might be bisexual).

Anyway, because she doesn't care about sexual perceptions, she pretty wears whatever she wants and in SAC, this includes when she is at work and catching bad guys. She is not trying to be sexy or anything; she just doesn't care. However, in SAC: 2nd GiG, she is in formal attire much more often.

When it comes to her new design, I personally like it. Sure, it is quite different than her SAC design, however, that design is different from the one used in the movies (her hair and eyes were a different color, her personality was different). All I really care about is seeing The Major kick some ass.
Nom De Plume De Fanboy
Subscriber
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Interesting. I remember reading on a GitS fan site that a SAC writer wanted regular clothes, but the producer wanted money shots. Sad

I could read, in the script text that scrolled by at the start of one stand alone ep, that the major was supposed to be wearing a kimono; but during the ep she had on the mostly nothing there outfit. So the writer's description didn't always get used.

Personally, I don't think the outfit they used made any sense except as a fanservice money shot. Not helpful to the story for my two bits, though I liked some of the other outfits she wore.

Very glad to see more GitS, though. And I don't mind if there isn't a strict continuity; there really isn't much of one anyway, between the manga, first movie, and SAC. Still a great set of yarns.
Pangea

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 3:39 pm Reply with quote
DUB over Maaya Sakamoto's voice? wow, I'm actually disgusted.
Animehermit

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 4:00 pm Reply with quote
ScumbagYoshi wrote:
CareyGrant wrote:
Looks promising... but I'm not digging the AU character redesign (Hello High School Motoko!) of The Major; her original SAC character design is iconic.

SAC "Bad Ass" Major > Arise "High School" Major

I'm not that big on character design unless it's just god awful, so I never really understood the appeal of Motoko's original character design besides the fact that she was pretty much wearing a militarized version of a swimsuit.

The appeal of the character designs stems from the fact that she's an adult. Not someone who looks they could be in high school.

It actually ties in with why SAC and even the films and manga are so well liked. It's an adult story, with adult characters.
danilo07

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 4:21 pm Reply with quote
I dont know, if you think this Motoko looks like high school student women around your area must very mature.And no really the clothes in SAC are not meant to help the story,for Gods sake first episode opens up with an ass shot.If they wanted to make express how she doesn't really care about human perceptions of sexuality they could have done it without that shot.
Animehermit

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 4:26 pm Reply with quote
danilo07 wrote:
I don't know, if you think this Motoko looks like high school student women around your area must very mature.And no really the clothes in SAC are not meant to help the story,for Gods sake first episode opens up with an ass shot.If they wanted to make express how she doesn't really care about human perceptions of sexuality they could have done it without that shot.

It does exactly that and it's fan service, and there's nothing wrong with either. There's a lot going on in Ghost in the Shell, and there's nothing wrong with a little T&A.

And yes, I've seen high school girls who look like the Major in this trailer. Back when I was in High School and after.
danilo07

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 4:38 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
It does exactly that and it's fan service, and there's nothing wrong with either. There's a lot going on in Ghost in the Shell, and there's nothing wrong with a little T&A.

I just highly doubt when character designer was drawing Motoko he thought "I will make her look like stripper,because that is the best the way to express her relationship with sexuality". There is a lot going on,which is why I found fan service to be very distracting.I find it very hard to focus on characters talking about complex political state of Japan,when I am offered a lot of ass shots.It would be like having an interview with president of United States who is also not wearing any pants.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 4:41 pm Reply with quote
Pangea wrote:

Japanese instead of Mary Elizabeth McGlynn's voice? Wow, now I'M the one disgusted.
ScumbagYoshi

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 4:50 pm Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
Pangea wrote:

Japanese instead of Mary Elizabeth McGlynn's voice? Wow, now I'M the one disgusted.

I never got the hype of her voice. It was just average to be honest, especially since I didn't find her written lines to be very good as opposed to the crisp succinct accents in the subbed version. I mean, it's not like Mokoto's original Japanese voice was out of this world, but as far as Maaya Sakamoto is concerned, she's probably one of my favorite VAs and her performances are always pretty damn good.

animehermit wrote:
The appeal of the character designs stems from the fact that she's an adult. Not someone who looks they could be in high school.

It actually ties in with why SAC and even the films and manga are so well liked. It's an adult story, with adult characters.

I think that's stretching it quite a bit. I can't really see how her current character design makes her look like a high school student. I mean, new animations and more polished coloring and lighting might make her look young enough to be in high school, but those are two different things, really.

You could make the argument that she looks way too rookie-ish as opposed to the veteran Major, but even then I'm skeptical of that claim.

Last edited by ScumbagYoshi on Sat May 11, 2013 5:25 pm; edited 2 times in total
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 9:55 pm Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
Okay, THAT looks badass. Very Happy

On the subject of the eventual dub, I have to wonder: Do you really think Mary Elizabeth McGlynn is the right voice for this new Motoko? As much as I love her, I can't help but think her voice just isn't suited for Motoko in her younger years. Perhaps they can get her to play Kurutsu, though.

I'm sure Richard Epcar will play Batou until the day he dies, though. Laughing

Motoko is mostly robot parts, including, perhaps, her voice box. I ('d like to) imagine she's sounded like she usually sounds since she was young.

But perhaps I'm wrong, since Maaya Sakamoto doesn't really sound like Atsuko Tanaka.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 10:46 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
SpacemanHardy wrote:
Okay, THAT looks badass. Very Happy

On the subject of the eventual dub, I have to wonder: Do you really think Mary Elizabeth McGlynn is the right voice for this new Motoko? As much as I love her, I can't help but think her voice just isn't suited for Motoko in her younger years. Perhaps they can get her to play Kurutsu, though.

I'm sure Richard Epcar will play Batou until the day he dies, though. Laughing

Motoko is mostly robot parts, including, perhaps, her voice box. I ('d like to) imagine she's sounded like she usually sounds since she was young.

But perhaps I'm wrong, since Maaya Sakamoto doesn't really sound like Atsuko Tanaka.

Well, in one of the episodes of SAC, Motoko temporarily goes into one of the bodies she used when she was younger, and they used a completely different voice actress for her. Also, they used a different actress for her other persona Chromia as well, switching to Cindy Robinson for her voice. So I dunno, honestly.
Catseyetiger

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 8:14 am Reply with quote
loved Ghost in the Shell one and two, hope to get to see this!
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 10:24 am Reply with quote
I'm sold. It's a prequel so I can live with the new designs. I thought I pinged a bit of the Oshii movie in that as well, when we all know Oshii no original movie wasn't canon to the manga. Is it that this prequel isn't either?

SpacemanHardy wrote:

Well, in one of the episodes of SAC, Motoko temporarily goes into one of the bodies she used when she was younger.
What? I don' t remember that. Was that in laughing Man, or Individual 11?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3