• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Consolidates Divisions Under Group 1200 Media Name

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mdo7

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 1:19 pm Reply with quote
joelgundam00 wrote:
mdo7 wrote:
Maybe J-dramas, K-dramas, other Asian dramas. Given the popularity of K-drama/Asian dramas now these day maybe Funimation want to cash in on the success of the Korean Wave.

Or the possibility to release out sub only anime without harming Funimation's reputation on dubbed anime.

I doubt that, what make you think Funimation would stop dubbing anime, do you have proof that Funimation no longer want to dub anime?? Also as I said, according to Japanator that first reported on it first. It said Group 1200 is doing other thing else other then anime. I speculate they could be picking up J-dramas, K-dramas or other Asian Dramas giving the popularity of K-dramas and the Korean Wave in the US.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
rootsofjustice

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 1:45 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
joelgundam00 wrote:
mdo7 wrote:
Maybe J-dramas, K-dramas, other Asian dramas. Given the popularity of K-drama/Asian dramas now these day maybe Funimation want to cash in on the success of the Korean Wave.

Or the possibility to release out sub only anime without harming Funimation's reputation on dubbed anime.

I doubt that, what make you think Funimation would stop dubbing anime, do you have proof that Funimation no longer want to dub anime?? Also as I said, according to Japanator that first reported on it first. It said Group 1200 is doing other thing else other then anime. I speculate they could be picking up J-dramas, K-dramas or other Asian Dramas giving the popularity of K-dramas and the Korean Wave in the US.

Why do we think FUNimation will start doing sub-only releases? Because they themselves suggested that it was a possibility. Some titles just can't be dubbed, Bakemonogatari and FUNimation's own Tatami Galaxy are prime examples. By taking a policy of 'everything we pick up MUST be dubbed', they close themselves off to these titles. A possible solution would be to create a separate label that FUNimation's name doesn't have to appear on. That way they can license the undubbable and still maintain FUNimation's policy of dubbing everything they get.
mdo7

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 1:59 pm Reply with quote
rootsofjustice wrote:
mdo7 wrote:
joelgundam00 wrote:
mdo7 wrote:

Why do we think FUNimation will start doing sub-only releases? Because they themselves suggested that it was a possibility. Some titles just can't be dubbed, Bakemonogatari and FUNimation's own Tatami Galaxy are prime examples. By taking a policy of 'everything we pick up MUST be dubbed', they close themselves off to these titles. A possible solution would be to create a separate label that FUNimation's name doesn't have to appear on. That way they can license the undubbable and still maintain FUNimation's policy of dubbing everything they get.

First time I've heard of Funimation of doing a sub-only release. As I said, Japanator said in a article that Group 1200 is going to do something else and it's not anime-related, I doubt it's releasing sub-only anime. To be honest, doing dub job on anime is not easy and it's long. But I checked on Bakemonogatari, according to Wikipedia, the current licensor is Aniplex USA, they do subbed release not Funimation (they always do it dub no matter what). I don't know why Tatami Galaxy hasn't been dub yet, but Group 1200 is not handling sub-only anime I can tell you that. Beside Tatami Galaxy, I don't see other anime Funi got that is in trouble of not getting dub and planning a sub-only release. A lot of Funi's anime has been dubbed, no other Funi's anime has been left out of not being dub.

So we don't know what Group 1200 is doing but it's not anime-related I can tell you that according to Japanator, they said other entertainment not anime-related. I'll stick to the Asian drama licensing speculation giving the popularity of K-dramas/Asian dramas in US is rising.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Polycell

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 2:46 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
First time I've heard of Funimation of doing a sub-only release. As I said, Japanator said in a article that Group 1200 is going to do something else and it's not anime-related, I doubt it's releasing sub-only anime. To be honest, doing dub job on anime is not easy and it's long.
Your last sentence is A) a non sequitur and B) just gives them a reason to investigate the possibility.

That said, Funimation has released sub-only live action material(more than once), so they're clearly not 100% wedded to the policy.
Quote:
But I checked on Bakemonogatari, according to Wikipedia, the current licensor is Aniplex USA, they do subbed release not Funimation (they always do it dub no matter what).
He admitted as much by describing Tatami Galaxy as "Funimation's own". His point was that Funi's policy of "dub everything" limited what they could acquire, no matter how insanely popular it might be.
Quote:
I don't know why Tatami Galaxy hasn't been dub yet, but Group 1200 is not handling sub-only anime I can tell you that. Beside Tatami Galaxy, I don't see other anime Funi got that is in trouble of not getting dub and planning a sub-only release. A lot of Funi's anime has been dubbed, no other Funi's anime has been left out of not being dub..
You have no proof that Group 1200 isn't flirting with the idea - if they see Sentai's "license everything; God will know his own" approach as working, why shouldn't they look into broadening their range of potential licenses? Maybe their dubbing policy's driving up the cost of their licenses and having a sub-only label(or threatening to create one) is purely a way to lower costs. I can easily see them looking into other forms of entertainment as well(given they already do it), but you're a bit desperate to write off subFuni.
mdo7

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 3:05 pm Reply with quote
@Polycell: As I said, according to ANN and Japanator, they both said Group 1200 is not going to be involved in anime, it was already stated. All anime release will be handled Funimation itself.

Quote:
That said, Funimation has released sub-only live action material(more than once), so they're clearly not 100% wedded to the policy.

Funimation releasing live-action stuff in subtitled format is not the same as releasing anime. There is a huge difference between live-action and animation.

Quote:
You have no proof that Group 1200 isn't flirting with the idea - if they see Sentai's "license everything; God will know his own" approach as working, why shouldn't they look into broadening their range of potential licenses? Maybe their dubbing policy's driving up the cost of their licenses and having a sub-only label(or threatening to create one) is purely a way to lower costs. I can easily see them looking into other forms of entertainment as well(given they already do it), but you're a bit desperate to write off subFuni.

Yeah and you have no proof that Group 1200 is handling anime (or releasing sub-only anime) when it was stated on the articles (both ANN and Japanator) that company is not going to handle anime. Where does it say on the article that Group 1200 is handling sub-only anime.

ANN wrote:
Additionally, Funimation confirmed that the change will not affect the consumers, as consumers will "continue to see anime releases under the FUNimation label and live action genre films under the Giant Ape Media label."

Japanator wrote:
Under this new name, Group 1200 Media plans to release other forms of entertainment besides the usual stuff that FUNimation brings out. Don't think that the FUNi label is going to disappear for good, because they still have plans to use it for their anime releases.

See they didn't mention anything about Group 1200 handling anime, all anime release and distribution will be handled by Funimation. Giant Ape Media is Funimation's live-action movie arms. So I could speculate that maybe Group 1200 could be something else. Maybe Funimation is looking into licensing and distributing K-dramas, J-dramas given the K-dramas/Asian dramas popularity in US thanks to the Korean Wave and maybe Funimation want to cash in on the Asian drama success. Who knows what Group 1200 is going to do. But if it help Funimation in any way, then I'm cool with it. I for one would love Funimation's Group 1200 branch to pick up J-dramas/K-dramas for US release/distribution, there's not enough J-dramas online when K-dramas is more prevalent online.
Polycell

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 3:17 pm Reply with quote
"[B]esides the usual stuff that FUNimation brings out" is an extremely broad category; your quote from ANN also merely establishes that the existing labels will continue to be used, not that all anime will be Funimation-branded or that all live action genre films will bear the Giant Ape Media logo.

Ultimately, this seems entirely about creating labels that are entirely separate from their existing ones. Really, they could be going any which way at this point.
mdo7

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
"[B]esides the usual stuff that FUNimation brings out" is an extremely broad category; your quote from ANN also merely establishes that the existing labels will continue to be used, not that all anime will be Funimation-branded or that all live action genre films will bear the Giant Ape Media logo.

Ultimately, this seems entirely about creating labels that are entirely separate from their existing ones. Really, they could be going any which way at this point.

Again, we don't know what Group 1200 is going to do, but I know it's not anime, Funimation said it themselves, all anime handling, and distribution is all under Funimation label, do you not read the both article carefully and what part of Group 1200 will not handle anime do you not understand?? What do you think Funimation is lying about Group 1200 true intention of distributing sub-only anime instead of Funimation's main label?? If they did that, then a lot of people would still be upset no matter what.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 3:40 pm Reply with quote
I think this could be a good thing if they start fully licensing a franchise. In the past it would be like Funi licenses an anime series which becomes a driving factor in say, Yen Press' manga license and a bunch of merch that Funi doesn't see a penny of. Now it seems like there is a structure where one company could license manga, anime, and merch and benefit from all sales. A series not selling is a total failure for Funi because theres like no other way to profit. Now at least there are alternate streams and selling anime isn't the end all be all.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 6:16 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
First time I've heard of Funimation of doing a sub-only release.

Reps at a few cons in the past couple of years of admitted that sub-only could be a possibility sometime in the future, FUNi's last survey had questions that were specifically about sub-only releases & why fans buy them, and even in the last FUNi-focused ANNCast Lance Heiskell, when asked about doing sub-only, said that there is the possibility of them trying it out at least once in the future. Back during the bubble days, and even right after the bubble burst, FUNimation reps would never have even said "maybe" about sub-only releases, but now they do acknowledge that there are shows that they are missing out on releasing but feel aren't going to make back a dub.

Does that mean FUNimation will eventually start doing a good amount of sub-only releases? No, but I won't be surprised if they do test out one or two shows sub-only within the next year or so, if only to see what the numbers come out to compared to their usual releases.
mdo7

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 6:28 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
mdo7 wrote:
First time I've heard of Funimation of doing a sub-only release.

Reps at a few cons in the past couple of years of admitted that sub-only could be a possibility sometime in the future, FUNi's last survey had questions that were specifically about sub-only releases & why fans buy them, and even in the last FUNi-focused ANNCast Lance Heiskell, when asked about doing sub-only, said that there is the possibility of them trying it out at least once in the future. Back during the bubble days, and even right after the bubble burst, FUNimation reps would never have even said "maybe" about sub-only releases, but now they do acknowledge that there are shows that they are missing out on releasing but feel aren't going to make back a dub.

Does that mean FUNimation will eventually start doing a good amount of sub-only releases? No, but I won't be surprised if they do test out one or two shows sub-only within the next year or so, if only to see what the numbers come out to compared to their usual releases.

I must have not noticed when I listened to the podcast. But if Funimation is willing to release anime sub-only release, I wouldn't mind. But I know that Group 1200 is not made to handle sub-only anime or any anime-related content, Funimation has said it themselves (the articles on both ANN and Japanator stated it). I'm curious what Group 1200 is going to do, but I can tell you it's not anime related.
jsieczkar

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 9:01 pm Reply with quote
I would guess that this has to do with the unit that has nothing in common with the other ones. If I'm right there will be no changes on the Funimation and Great Apr side of things.
hpulley

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 9:14 pm Reply with quote
No change? Too bad, I was hoping this would speed up their web site...
Nonaka Machine Gun B

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 11:10 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Thought it'd be Group Over 9000..................

"Great Ape Media" might be a reference to DBZ's Oozaru.
NJ_

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 2:12 am Reply with quote
^
Or someone at FUNi has been watching too much of Grape Ape on Boomerang. Laughing
Hitokiri Kenshin

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 12:03 pm Reply with quote
rootsofjustice wrote:
mdo7 wrote:
joelgundam00 wrote:
mdo7 wrote:

How come those titles can't be dubbed?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3