• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Valvrave the Liberator (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 11:42 pm Reply with quote
Episode 5

Well that was stupid, the first thing they should have done after immediate resources was look over the power and life support systems, otherwise they could die any minute. They might want to turn off unnesary power guzzlers. They are also very close to having total anarchy at any given moment considering their population are hormonal teens who all believe they know best. Wouldn't it be hilarious if they suddenly lost gravity control and everyone end up floating around in the air?

You would think that being a space generation would make them take certain things into consideration, and they are pretty doomed until they can break the standoff. Although perhaps the money was meant to act as a way to start negotiations as they will be in a less desperate situation.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 12:19 am Reply with quote
I should probably know, but who is the naked pink-haired girl they keep drawing all over the streets and fields?

Somebody needs to boot Blondie out of an airlock.

Yeah this is pretty bad, but it's not epically bad enough for me to really enjoy that much. I've seen too many anime just like this that were actually being totally serious, so it doesn't feel enough like a parody I guess. Can't laugh with it and can't laugh at it. I might not last much longer unless they pull some new rabbit out of their ass like they did in the first couple of episodes.
Ortensia1980

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 10:51 am Reply with quote
Episode 5 needed more L-Elf. At least one of the kids had enough sense to set up a fund so they could buy medicine and food, because they would have been screwed without that guy (I think that his name is Kyuma?).

And good god, the song. spoiler[After nearly freezing to death the kids make a song that inspires the rest of the world.] That was the first time that I facepalmed whilst watching Valvrave.

spoiler[At least they found more mechas, because this means that we'll get to see some more action next week. Everyone should watch out for Rukino if she gets a Valvrave of her own though, because I have a feeling that she'll be biting everyone that comes near her Laughing ]
Galap

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 12:55 am Reply with quote
|comicchaser| wrote:
Ok, I gotta admit, my approach to the show was totally misguided.
I expected a rather serious gundam-clone with the usual generic anti-war subtext common to those series.
But instead, I got a hilarious over-the-top comedic approach to the stale formula.
By now it genuinely feels like the show is embracing its incredible amount of stupidity and wallows in poking fun at all the cliched tropes and characters.
I'm probably giving the creators more credit than they deserve here, but hey, at least the show is fun now, apart from being amazingly dumb.
Better than offensviely boring AND dumb. Yes, GSD, I'm still looking at you. And I shall never look away.

The thing is, there's quite a bit of serious stuff in there, too, which I like quite a lot.

The invasion in the first episode was actually pretty chilling, for example.

In this episode also, we saw that in a tense situation (the power out), their leadership was brought to the verge of collapse. People came to blows. It seemed very dark and Lord of the Flies esque.

This is what I like so much about this show: how it's pretty silly, weird, and 'light hearted', and it pulls out some real surprises, but despite all that, there's some pretty serious stuff in there if you look for it. There's some deeper level stuff in a show of a style where people don't expect it, and I really appreciate that.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 1:19 am Reply with quote
I wonder who is going to pilot those mecha. Based on the ending theme and ep preview. It looks like Saki is getting the green one.
L-elf and Shoko are probably getting one also.
rheiders

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 3:21 am Reply with quote
Unfortunately, the high school stuff continues to be a completely uninteresting kind of bad. Hopefully next week we'll get more of the over-the-top goofiness of previous episodes.
Knoepfchen

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 3:52 am Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:
I wonder who is going to pilot those mecha. Based on the ending theme and ep preview. It looks like Saki is getting the green one.
L-elf and Shoko are probably getting one also.

Am I looking forward to an army of hormone-driven spoiler[body-switching undead vampire] high school mecha space pilots plotting spoiler[revolution against the universe] while singing carols or what. Cool

All hail ... what was it? Blitzendegen?
v1cious

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 11:49 am Reply with quote
Even though episode 5 was really stupid (the music video was embarrassingly bad), I like where the plot seems to be going. It looks like this is going to be a traditional super robot show, not Code Geass redux.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 4:25 pm Reply with quote
Wow I was so embarrassed by the music video that I actually skipped it. The episode was alright but the ending made up for it. I like it when the girl initiates.
Rhyono

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 7:32 pm Reply with quote
Anyone else notice that the super complex thing that only the one geek could understand was actually just pressing a big red button?
Yttrbio
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 9:58 pm Reply with quote
No, no, he did "mystery tinkering" before that. As we all know, only a person with high levels of technical knowledge can fiddle around with his hands and fix things.
Rhyono

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 10:58 pm Reply with quote
But if he couldn't reach the button without swinging: how did he ever tinker with anything on the wall?
Yttrbio
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 11:08 pm Reply with quote
Because it was off screen. Geez, don't you understand anime physics at all?
Knoepfchen

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 7:12 am Reply with quote
Rhyono wrote:
Anyone else notice that the super complex thing that only the one geek could understand was actually just pressing a big red button?

That was just awesome, wasn't it. And that way we could get some drama with the other guy's wounds reopening from swinging the nerd around so he could reach the button.
Rhyono

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 8:29 pm Reply with quote
@Knoepfchen I forget where he was shot (was it in the shoulder?), regardless: nothing shy of leaking blood from his face would result in blood drops landing on the other guy's head.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 9 of 32