• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Attack on Titan Staff Apologizes for Unfinished Episodes on 3 Stations

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nhat

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 7:19 am Reply with quote
As long as they don't release anything incomplete, I don't care how long they take to complete it. There are too many game studios and media that gets release before their time and suffer in quality.
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 9:11 am Reply with quote
Honestly besides some really good looking scenes the show is not that good looking. It's not surprising given how much they rely on still shots and how off model characters look at times.
configspace

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 9:52 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Uh, I think I see a recap eppie in AoT's near future...

Laughing or they might do long recaps at the start of episodes if it's a continual issue
Happiness for Subaru
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 10:25 am Reply with quote
bleachj0j wrote:
Honestly besides some really good looking scenes the show is not that good looking. It's not surprising given how much they rely on still shots and how off model characters look at times.

The corner-cutting does suck, but I'm glad they do stills instead of trying to half-assedly animate those parts too. The way I think of it is that the animation is good...when the show is in motion.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 10:39 am Reply with quote
Well, this is a first hearing [for me] hearing about a show that didn't finish an episode. I really gotta sit down and watch this show. But by the time I get around to it the thing might be licensed by then. I've been hearing a lot of good things from viewers so it sounds promising.
jree78

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Uh, I think I see a recap eppie in AoT's near future...

ugh I was upset when Girls und Panzer did that twice, but the final two episodes of that show was awesome so I can live with AOT doing if it results in a good overall product, but barely.
ZODDGUTS

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 4:07 pm Reply with quote
bleachj0j wrote:

Your right only the first ep looked really good. Since the second episode it's had still shots and off model characters. Not sure why there coming close to [expletive] this up so early considering how much hype there is around this title. Here's hoping the new animators there looking for helps them out.
configspace

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 3:08 am Reply with quote
ZODDGUTS wrote:
bleachj0j wrote:

Your right only the first ep looked really good. Since the second episode it's had still shots and off model characters. Not sure why there coming close to [expletive] this up so early considering how much hype there is around this title. Here's hoping the new animators there looking for helps them out.

It's very likely they'll redo or reanimate many parts for the BD/DVD release
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 1:36 am Reply with quote
I still have difficulty wrapping my head around the fact that they actually complete episodes week by week. You'd think they'd leave a month's lead time or something, but I suppose this system does discourage production delays.
hpulley

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 7:54 am Reply with quote
Crunchyroll has another materials delay today for episode 6. Not sure if this affected Japan as well.
configspace

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 2:52 pm Reply with quote
Sven Viking wrote:
I still have difficulty wrapping my head around the fact that they actually complete episodes week by week. You'd think they'd leave a month's lead time or something, but I suppose this system does discourage production delays.

That is extremely common. It seems like an exception to the rule when a production is done way ahead of time. I speculate it has to do with financing. Maybe the production committee can't fund the show completely ahead of time, or enough to give much of a lead since anime is very labor intensive, or something like that...

hpulley wrote:
Crunchyroll has another materials delay today for episode 6. Not sure if this affected Japan as well.

Ep 6 is already out. Maybe just barely in time for the Japanese stations, hence the delay for CR I assume
Yerld

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 6:31 pm Reply with quote
configspace wrote:

There's only so much they can do, unless there's unused budget left over. If a shot is poorly conceived because of an animator's lack of skill, it usually remains that way (budget was already spent on the unskilled animator, so they generally can't backtrack and hire someone else to redo the cut). Awkward off-model animation becomes awkward on-model animation, but it's still bad.

In that regard, stills can be a blessing in disguise because money gets saved.

Quote:
I speculate it has to do with financing. Maybe the production committee can't fund the show completely ahead of time, or enough to give much of a lead since anime is very labor intensive, or something like that...

It's a matter of talent availability. Multiple studios try to schedule in the same people (who work on shows all year round), so their availability becomes extremely synchronized.

Naturally, synchronization eventually coincides with broadcast deadlines, especially with the large quantity of shows produced these days.
configspace

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 2:52 am Reply with quote
Yerld wrote:
configspace wrote:

There's only so much they can do, unless there's unused budget left over. If a shot is poorly conceived because of an animator's lack of skill, it usually remains that way (budget was already spent on the unskilled animator, so they generally can't backtrack and hire someone else to redo the cut). Awkward off-model animation becomes awkward on-model animation, but it's still bad.

In that regard, stills can be a blessing in disguise because money gets saved.

The degree of correction can vary, but I think many still find the budget or time regardless, after airing. True, I don't know if they'll completely replace the stills, but I would not be surprised if they did. MuvLuv is a good example of not just correcting off model animation, but completely replacing the mecha used!

Usually there are TONS of correction, as in tiny little corrections everywhere and some major ones for most shows, when they are released on home video. While this is very much the norm for SHAFT, this is also true even for poor sellers. I cited some examples in this thread, but even very poor sellers like Shigofumi were corrected and the recent Natsuiro Kiseki (also poor seller) underwent tons of revision, likewise with Symphogear. The staff for Natsuiro Kiseki basically combed through the entire show again, frame by frame (like SHAFT) correcting nearly every scene.
Yerld

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 10:10 pm Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
The degree of correction can vary, but I think many still find the budget or time regardless, after airing. True, I don't know if they'll completely replace the stills, but I would not be surprised if they did. MuvLuv is a good example of not just correcting off model animation, but completely replacing the mecha used!

Usually there are TONS of correction, as in tiny little corrections everywhere and some major ones for most shows, when they are released on home video. While this is very much the norm for SHAFT, this is also true even for poor sellers. I cited some examples in this thread, but even very poor sellers like Shigofumi were corrected and the recent Natsuiro Kiseki (also poor seller) underwent tons of revision, likewise with Symphogear. The staff for Natsuiro Kiseki basically combed through the entire show again, frame by frame (like SHAFT) correcting nearly every scene.

Well, the thing is that they're mainly redrawing existing frames, which is free! On the whole, there's a lot of effort to fix things that are blatantly wrong and to redraw things on-model, but more significant work is limited.

As I mentioned, the job often falls on the shoulders of an animation director, who takes responsibility for quality (they get a fixed payment for the entire job) and are easiest to track down. The studio attitude is that people got paid for their work, screwed up, and are on the hook to get it right without extra pay.

That kind of correction may make the art look better. However, improvements to the layouts and motion (where the shot was poorly thought out in the first place because of time constraints or lack of skill) tend to be far less pronounced. You just get glossier versions of something lacklustre - like slapping a coat of paint over poor architecture.

Using a still can actually mean additional animation later because no one got paid for frames that were never drawn (SHAFT sometimes takes advantage of this). However, it depends on the project and schedule at the production company.

While I agree that DVD/BD corrections can improve a few things, they can't really undo the consequences of poor scheduling.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2