• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 7:59 am Reply with quote
WhiteHairGirls wrote:
Oh boy is this thread going to become SAO 2.0?

I just want to point out that although I was unhappy with this episode, I in general really enjoy Gargantia. In fact it's my favorite new show of the season.

Just because someone criticizes or is unhappy with an element of something does not mean they are "Omg this show sucks, how can you watch this".

As for SAO I didn't like the series at all so I barely went in that thread and only talked about my feelings for the show in general discussions.

As for Gargantia, I still really love the show (in fact for me episode 4 was one of the strongest eps of any show this season) and I hope my feelings for the rest of the show are closer to episode 4 than they were for episode 5.

Look I understand people don't like to see something they enjoy criticized but criticism isn't always done maliciously to bash a show & its fans. These are just people's honest feelings that they have every right to express.
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 12:44 pm Reply with quote
Yeah but the other side of the argument has the same freedom to express their thoughts too. Its not always some over-defensive fan posting just as other post weren't necessarily from oversensitive people. Both sides have objective values into why they side with one side or the other. That was kind of the point Tuor was trying to make when he left the argument and the kind of stuff Rhyono was joking about with all the sarcastic posts cause both sides will hold onto those values which just produces the unfortunate standard of otaku interweb wars and internet catfights.

Anyways back on topic, I agree with Knoepfchen. I was actually expecting something more along the lines of a naive, zero response reaction cause there isn't much evidence to suggest he would have reacted like that in the beginning. Probably the only things that would go along with that reaction to all the cross-dressers was his equal reaction to eating food or animal carcasses for the very first time. That was the only other case where he initially squirmed a bit despite being a soldier.

It would have been interesting if they did do that bit of social commentary that Knoepfchen mentioned but its still a story in progress so it may circle back towards it. That or just something to be forgotten as the actual story progresses. Given the pacing I can't imagine this sitting at 12-13 episodes.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 1:32 pm Reply with quote
TatsuGero23 wrote:
Yeah but the other side of the argument has the same freedom to express their thoughts too.

Did someone tell you, you don't have a right to express your thoughts?

I don't care if you express your positive thoughts about the episode. I just don't like to be told "oh stop being offended by everything" (and that is even nicer than some of the comments on here) because I dare criticize something that I do see as offensive about this episode.
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 12:50 pm Reply with quote
Episode 6

spoiler[Ledo was so funny with his inability to use money.
Their festival was anything but typical.
Looks like he finally managed to make himself useful.
Latest episodes are more everyday stuff, nice and relaxing.
Wonder if we'll get to see some real action and fighting soon.]
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 12:53 pm Reply with quote
Episode 6
Oh silly Ledo, an spoiler[octopus aren't your enemy, they're food! I have never ate an octopus] though before so idk what they taste like. Another relaxing episode. The dance in the aurora night from Amy was beautiful and so was the OST. I can't wait till it comes out. This series has some of the most beautiful visuals.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Miranox

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Episode 6. spoiler[I sighed when I saw it titled as "festival". It seems the last two episodes were not breathers. They were indications of what rest of the show will be like. Ledo's new role as a goofball continues. I lost count of the number of boob shots we got in this episode and most of them were from Amy of all people. I don't get what the producers are thinking. Are they worried we can't focus unless there are close-ups of female body parts on the screen every 30 seconds? Those first three episode were very deceptive if this is what the show wanted to do all along. I'm hoping that the ending is a hint the show will go back to being serious.]
Yttrbio
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 1:08 pm Reply with quote
I sure hope the fleet library has spoiler["My First Boner"] for Ledo to check out.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 1:14 pm Reply with quote
I really like how Ledo is gradually getting more tanned. Attention to little details like that is nice.
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 3:13 pm Reply with quote
"Chamber, I seem to have some sort of allergic reaction in my groin region when Amy dances. Preform bioscan."

-Ledo, in episode 8

I'm liking the development at the end of the episode, spoiler[seems the hideauze might have originated on Earth too.]
rheiders

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 3:36 pm Reply with quote
I liked this episode a lot more than the previous one. It seems the show really is just going to be nice and relaxing, which is fine I suppose, but I would appreciate a plot. It would be interesting if it turned out to be true that spoiler[that squid is a relative of the Hideauze]. Otherwise, it's always interesting when Ledo goes all soldier-mode and freaks everyone out.

I don't think I got as much out of it as some other viewers Laughing, but the dancing scenes were very pretty and well-animated. Would have appreciated less obvious focus on Amy's chest and butt, but what can ya do.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 5:06 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Next episode: the great Hyper-Oats Harvest Festival.

C'mon writers, I was just kidding! :(

No, I actually enjoyed a lot of that, but spoiler[the Salome bit seemed like a pretty flimsy excuse for Amy to wear a pretty flimsy outfit (I wasn't even sure this was happening in the same room as Ledo's meal until Bellows showed up, since he didn't acknowledge she was there at all, like "Oh hey, why is Amy up there dressed like that?"). But otherwise, they did the slow build up of Ledo's reaction to it all quite well.]

Here's my entirely speculative theory about the war: spoiler[The Hideauze are intelligent organic squid-beings who don't want to be taken over by the Machines like the humans have been. The Machines just keep people around for creative piloting and other non-mathematical types of thinking, as we just saw Chamber in need of during the fishing expedition. But to keep them in line, the Machines go to great lengths to support the fiction that the humans are in control and working for their own survival.]
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 5:12 pm Reply with quote
rheiders wrote:
I liked this episode a lot more than the previous one. It seems the show really is just going to be nice and relaxing, which is fine I suppose, but I would appreciate a plot.

Well I do expect we are going to get a plot (and upcoming episode titles kind of signify this)

spoiler[
Ep7 - A Soldier's Fate
Ep8 - Separation
Ep9 - The Secret of the Ocean's Depths
Ep10 - The Island of Ambition]

Anyways it is pretty typical for anime to start off with a lighter tone and then switch to something more serious. That being said I am not expecting this to be dark as other Urobuchi series.
rheiders

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 5:28 pm Reply with quote
^Hm, I didn't know about those episode titles. Sounds very promising, though! Very Happy

And I do know that is common with anime, but it often doesn't bode well when the plot doesn't show up until seven or eight episodes into a twelve-episode series. Too many one-cour series just don't know how to properly allot their short amount of time. I trust Urobuchi though, so we'll see.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 5:39 pm Reply with quote
rheiders wrote:

And I do know that is common with anime, but it often doesn't bode well when the plot doesn't show up until seven or eight episodes into a twelve-episode series. Too many one-cour series just don't know how to properly allot their short amount of time. I trust Urobuchi though, so we'll see.

I definitely agree with you that maybe things are moving too slowly and I only hope things won't be rushed in the end.

That being said if the plot does pick up next episode it would be at the exact halfway point. So hopefully they planned things out well.
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 7:14 pm Reply with quote
I thought episode six was pretty good, actually. I'm not bothered by the apparent absence of "plot", since I think Ledo learning to adjust to this new world and having to find his place on Gargantia is really interesting. The fanservice didn't bother me, especially since it actually spoiler[served a purpose with the characters, as opposed to episode 05]. Also I agree with the Stark about the OST. The music during spoiler[Amy's dance and in the bar] was fantastic.[/spoiler]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 25 of 52