• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU (TV) (both seasons).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ignatz

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 3:49 pm Reply with quote
By the way, why this anime isn't on this list?
Riddley

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 4:45 pm Reply with quote
Ignatz wrote:
By the way, why this anime isn't on this list?

'Tis strange...I was positive I actually discovered the show from the spring list...but maybe it was the anime chart. At any rate, that list isn't exhaustive either.
thenix

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 1:47 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Ignatz wrote:
It's basically what Haganai should've been - no stupid harem and characters that actually say something interesting.

That is kind of what I have been thinking too.

I noticed the similarities but I think This show is basically a parody of Haganai. Maybe this is what Haganai should of been, but Haganai can't make fun of itself.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 7:48 pm Reply with quote
Ignatz wrote:
Just started watching this show, and wow... It's basically what Haganai should've been - no stupid harem and characters that actually say something interesting. I'm amazed at how good this show is.

I'm currently at 4 episodes.

Based on your list, I see you didn't watch the 2nd season of Haganai. I recommend you watch it because there was a improvement and it will probably be a huge improvement for you since you didn't like the first season that much. One character did a 360 flip and made the 2nd season worthwhile.
Ignatz

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 11:23 am Reply with quote
You're right. As you said, I actually haven't watched a single episode of the 2nd season. Will have to check it out some time. Smile
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 11:38 am Reply with quote
Episode 7

I think how I am enjoying this show is that it speaks to me as having my own unsocial past in school. This episode did especially well as it included a grade school kid who was also excluded. It reminds me of some similar experiences I had not too long ago I was doing some things as a Cub Scout leader, and on the camps especially I familiar with the thought often the other leaders had no idea about what the loner children felt like. Well since I was one myself I like to think that I was pretty good at helping such kids, although there is rarely some sort of magic fix, and I am interested in how the topic is being handled in this. You could see that Yukino and Hikki were feeling conflicted about it. The part where the girl, Rumi, was talking to Hikki and Yukino was especially good, it reminded me of similar moments I have had isolated kids, although being an adult I guess that I tried to be more comforting.

As for the rest of the episode, I am interested in what exactly Yukino said to spoiler[make the other girl cry] it seems to be a rather interesting case of humanising them. Yukino then spoiler[singing a nursery rhyme alone at the stars] does not even seem that strange to me, in fact I find it a useful look under her cover, perhaps because I have done the same thing. I also loved Hikki's inner-monologues in regard to Saika, a mix of heaven and hell. Or when his sister was spoiler[telling him to worry about the hottie Hayama], but he did not seem to pick up what she was insinuating, Yui was in on screen, the sister's greeting with Yui even more seems to show she sees it. And that fujoshi Hina got some time too, I do wonder how she end up in the cool group too, she could work, she needs to see the Hikki/Saika thing though.

Also laugh at Hikki's comments over why the teacher spoiler[is not married and being bitter]. I did like her comment about having to spoiler[deal with them, and not needing to get along]. Actually makes me wonder if she has a bit of an antisocial streak herself.

It feels a little odd that this reminds me of some awful things that happened in my school life, but it feels like the reason I am liking it. The OP song has also become something that I am quite enjoying, oddly it does not even feel like it is anything special, I wonder if it is the visuals or the tune that I find enjoyable, but it is definitely successful.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 2:19 pm Reply with quote
I like how infatuated Hikki is with Saika. Good looking girls are using a weird greeting? Hikki thinks it is stupid. Saika does the same greeting, Hikki falls in love with it. Then there was the scene where Hikki couldn't sleep because Saika was saying his name in his sleep lol.

Hayato and Yukino's spoiler[parents know each other and they essentially are family friends. I really hope there is no cliche fiancee business. Although it is highly doubtful since it looks like Hayato and Yumiko might be a couple.]

DuskyPredator wrote:
I think how I am enjoying this show is that it speaks to me as having my own unsocial past in school. This episode did especially well as it included a grade school kid who was also excluded.

I can sort of relate to it now. I was actually an outgoing kid during my elementary and middle school days. Now I am the reserved person from my group of friends.
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 7:48 pm Reply with quote
Episode 7
This series is definitely a rare gem for me this season. I love the main male protagonist and his constant inner thoughts.

Regarding the latest episode, I like the setting of the outdoors that takes a different direction from the usual school setting. Oh and that little girl among the group seemed somewhat interesting.spoiler[ Hina is also pretty hilarious with her delusions. Also, lol @ Hachiman's 'nickname' during his childhood. "Did you hop back to home"? Surprised]

Anyways, great episode and I am even more excited with the enjoyment of this series now with the earlier news this week regarding more episodes to be aired soon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 2:14 am Reply with quote
The Hikki X Saiki continues this episode. I wonder who spoiler[Hayato was talking about when he said now he understands why she looks after Hikki.]
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 4:14 am Reply with quote
Yahello! Good eppie (episode 7). I like how they handled Lonely Girl. Instead of just making her a generic Lonely Girl who is excluded for a dumb reason, it is obvious she is culpable in her situation. You don't usually get that kind of nuance in an anime comedy.

And yes, Scary Sensei definitely shows signs of being a stalker...
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 6:10 am Reply with quote
Episode 8

It looks like they created a spoiler[perfect situation that lonely girl might actually be accepted by the group]. But it does not spoiler[look like it happened, she was left by herself at the campfire, and walking away alone, Hachiman was also left with I think Yukino and the other guy maybe trying comfort him]. I might actually have liked it for not going the spoiler[easy way of happy ending], but the entire thing also makes me feel spoiler[sad as it continues to hit close to home].

I don't think that I could be as strong as Hachiman in taking the verbal abuse he takes from people, although to some degree I think that some of them are getting a look at what he goes through. It is rather interesting that he does not even blame individuals for being left out, but the group or society. And is a rather difficult thing to watch things go the way they do over anime's trend of loving friendship. Yukino seems to have her own problems that seem to be taking centre stage and all, there is some deal spoiler[with her "mother".]

In summary it was a lovely episode, I keep enjoying this more and more.
Yukinero

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 9:39 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, its plot is kinda deep. Finally, an anime worth watching for its plot.
Ignatz

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 10:06 am Reply with quote
spoiler["Shin sekai no Kami ni naru."]

Am I the only one who immediately thought about Death Note? Very Happy

And man, am I stupid. Can someone explain me what happened at the end of this episode? I'm kinda confused.
It seems that spoiler[it was the limo that got Hachiman injured. Yukino realized that Hachiman recognized it, after which she didn't talk to him for the rest of the summer, which means that she feels guilty. But why's that? Why Yukino should feel guilty about it? It's not like she was the one who was driving that limo (not to mention that Hachiman jumped in front of it by his own will).]

Also...

After finding out that spoiler[Yukino's sister was a former student of Hiratsuka, Hachiman went "Doesn't that mean..."] What did he mean by that?
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 2:14 pm Reply with quote
No, I think the spoiler[mother showing up is the reason why they didn't see each other again for the rest of the summer]

Yumiko seems kinda stupid, anyone else picking up on that?
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 4:15 pm Reply with quote
Like I mentioned previous, this series is a little gem of the season so far for me. It feels a bit different than Haganai for me but I like the MC quite a bit. I don't have too much to say on the latest episode but I definitely liked one particular quote from episode 8:

spoiler[You become the god of a new world]

Also, in one of the previous episodes, Hachiman also had another lengthy monologue which was quite something.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 7 of 19