• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Suki Party Weekend

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mgosdin

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 5:49 am Reply with quote
bemused Bohemian wrote:
Sort of glad to hear Justine had issues with Sentai snafu on Colorful audio set up also. I was beginning to think I was 300% inept doing anything different from the original setting on that disc. Jeez, Sentai, please don't make these consistent screw ups a company trademark.

I'm reminded of the story of the small business owner and the computer salesman.

Code:
The Salesman does a great job selling the Owner on buying computers for his business, as a closing pitch the salesman says :

" You can reduce staffing levels too.  You have two accountants now, so you can let one go and save money there. "

The owner gets quiet and looks sadly at the salesman saying :

"So who do I let go, My Wife or My Daughter?" 

No sale.

It's obvious that Sentai can and does produce good enough dubs and even some excellent ones. However, sometimes it looks like they don't really have a free hand in choosing who does what part in the dubbing process. So scripts aren't what they could be or VA's are miscast.

All of Anime is a small business in America, and from what I've seen the same is essentially true in Japan.

Mark Gosdin
Animehermit

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 7:00 am Reply with quote
Graceful Nanami wrote:
Yu Yu Hakusho has one of the most fullfilling, heartwarming and well done endings in anime history. The manga, infamously, does not. The YYH manga is really not that good at all, actually, in general. The anime is fantastic. I would love to see a remake attempt but... gotta be careful there. Also, they'd have to replace Nozomu Sasaki as Yusuke because... he just can't do that voice anymore.

Honestly I think a lot of the charm of YYH was in it's dub. I do think it holds up well against other shounen being released now, but it never really got better than what it was, a typical shounen series with lots of tournaments.
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 9:54 am Reply with quote
In regards to the Haruhi Fans VS Bronies Question, the obvious outcome would be the whoovians would win as they would just wait for both fan bases to tire themselves out then use a Sonic Screwdriver to activate the hidden slingshot under the arena.

The lion would be a good vote for second place though.

Anywho, on a more serious note, I too would like to know what the heck is up with Sentai, they seem to be botching a lot of releases these days. Deffinantly doesn't inspire confidence in purchasing their products.
Wakazhi

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 10:34 am Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
To the person who asked about what series should be on a library, here is a list. These are series that I have bought and consider them to be of very high quality. I know that tastes are subjective, but to me this series have elements in them that can be appreciated by anyone.

I would replace Noir with Baccano, and definitely add Nadesico, Nadia, Gurren Lagann, Spice & Wolf, Eden of the East,
and the Trust & Betrayal OVA.
I also want to say Arakawa Under the Bridge, but it's a special kind of special that I can see a lot of people not getting it.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 10:53 am Reply with quote
Wakazhi wrote:
I would replace Noir with Baccano, and definitely add Nadesico, Nadia, Gurren Lagann, Spice & Wolf, Eden of the East,
and the Trust & Betrayal OVA.
I also want to say Arakawa Under the Bridge, but it's a special kind of special that I can see a lot of people not getting it.

I definitely considered Gurren Lagann, but I intentionally left out any mecha shows because there are very few ones that I would reccomend to anyone. Baccano! crossed my mind, but I am not sure if many people will dig it. Spice & Wolf is to nichy for me.

I have heard about Nadia and Trust & Betrayal, but I have not watched them.
varmintx

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 11:59 am Reply with quote
Could someone explain to me why I think it's awesome that Walter White did voice work for anime once upon a time? I'm failing to come up with a logical explanation.
Wakazhi

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 12:21 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
I have heard about Nadia and Trust & Betrayal, but I have not watched them.

Nadia is pretty much my favorite TV series from Gainax. It's very overlooked outside of Japan (probably because of the unnecessary and infamous "island episodes") and I actually think it's better than Evangelion objectively, if judging by the writing (sans the island episodes) instead of basing it off of how influential it is compared to Eva (which it actually did have have influence on Eva anyway).
This isn't coming from a nostalgic perspective, because I saw Evangelion a couple years ago; then I saw Nadia last summer.
I like Evangelion and appreciate for what it is, but Nadia definitely was more solid and better written. If NHK wasn't so greedy that they made Gainax make those joke episodes in the middle of the show's most dramatic moments, it probably would've been received a lot better in other countries.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 12:45 pm Reply with quote
varmintx wrote:
Could someone explain to me why I think it's awesome that Walter White did voice work for anime once upon a time? I'm failing to come up with a logical explanation.

Because Bryan Cranston has clout and recognition now? This dubbing was all back in the 90s, before he was even the bumbling Hal from Malcolm. It's cool and all, but he probably doesn't even remember those dubbing sessions.
TokyoGetter

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 12:58 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
varmintx wrote:

Because Bryan Cranston has clout and recognition now? This dubbing was all back in the 90s, before he was even the bumbling Hal from Malcolm. It's cool and all, but he probably doesn't even remember those dubbing sessions.

There's a pretty great interview with him on Marc Maron's hit-or-miss WTF podcast where he talks up his work in voice acting. He seemed to have enjoyed it.

Also: Billy Cranston was named after him on MMPR as a tribute.
medama_oyaji

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 3:34 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, the AnimeSols thing is tough because I want it to succeed so bad, but they aren't really offering anything that I want enough to pledge. I am going to sample what they are streaming and perhaps I'll change my mind. At the moment, the Tezuka 24 Hour Specials are what seem to be interesting me the most.

I was thinking about it, and it seems like the big issue with these older series is that there are a lot of people interested in classic anime, but it really varies pretty widely in which series they're actually passionate about. So while there's this decent sized "Classic Anime" audience, not everyone who wants Future Boy Conan or Legend of the Galactic Heroes is that interested in Creamy Mami or a Black Jack series from the 2000's. And vis versa of course! I'm not knocking either of those series -- I'm just listing them as examples Very Happy

While I was making my own mental list of the classic series that I would like, a lot of them ended up being Toei properties, so it would be great if Daisuki dug into their back catalog a bit and even better if they started offering DVDs! Personally Gegege no Kitaro, Dr. Slump, and Tanoshii Moomin Ikka are at the top of my list. While those aren't hugely popular titles, they aren't obscure. Toriyama has a big following in the US, even if most of them are only interested in DBZ, and Moomin and Kitaro are gaining much more popularity now that Drawn & Quarterly are publishing the comics in English.
The Mad Manga Massacre

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 4:58 pm Reply with quote
If Daisuki got both the old and new Sailor Moon series I'd be very happy. The website looks interesting so far. I'm curious about the Gundam series and Lupin mostly. It was an interesting interview. I learned a lot about the website from it.
Graceful Nanami

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 1:07 am Reply with quote
animehermit wrote:
Graceful Nanami wrote:
Yu Yu Hakusho has one of the most fullfilling, heartwarming and well done endings in anime history. The manga, infamously, does not. The YYH manga is really not that good at all, actually, in general. The anime is fantastic. I would love to see a remake attempt but... gotta be careful there. Also, they'd have to replace Nozomu Sasaki as Yusuke because... he just can't do that voice anymore.

Honestly I think a lot of the charm of YYH was in it's dub. I do think it holds up well against other shounen being released now, but it never really got better than what it was, a typical shounen series with lots of tournaments.

YYH was one of the first great "typical shounens", though and it was amazing. Unique convepts of death adn what happens after. And I'm not a huge fan of the dub because of all the changes to the script and added potty humor etc. Yes, the dub is entertaining and a lot of people love it. It's fun to watch but I prefer the original.
Harts

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 12:40 pm Reply with quote
About importing Blu-rays - the Japanese version of Only Yesterday looks really cool. I was looking to get the UK DVD after I saw the film in a film festival but then found that the Japanese Blu-ray has English subtitles and a very cool package design.
Has anyone picked that up and can say if it worth the price? I guess there is very little chance that this will come out in the EU or the States.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 1:22 pm Reply with quote
AnimeSol's isn't doing so hot?

Oh poor it! I should give them a million quid right now!

Oh wait, I can't.

It's dug it's own hole, I'm not digging it out by throwing my money at strangers.
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 3:21 pm Reply with quote
Harts wrote:
About importing Blu-rays - the Japanese version of Only Yesterday looks really cool. I was looking to get the UK DVD after I saw the film in a film festival but then found that the Japanese Blu-ray has English subtitles and a very cool package design.
Has anyone picked that up and can say if it worth the price? I guess there is very little chance that this will come out in the EU or the States.

I did, and it is indeed gorgeous. Very happy with that one.

BTW, I spoke to soon re: Colorful. There's a scene near the end (a very important one, at that) that looks like a poor quality YouTube encode. Just that scene. WTF. Quite upset about this.

I don't know how you even make a disc with problems like this. Apple Compressor does a better job encoding for Blu-ray, and it's $50. $50!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4