• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Plans Attack on Titan on Home Video in 2014

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 8:53 pm Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
Uh how about a God dam release date for High school DxD? Its nice you announced the release date for a show that is not even finished, but how about announcing the release date on a show you have been sitting on for close to a year.

chill out man, here ya go
http://www.rightstuf.com/1-800-338-6827/catalogmgr/73Zcq8XDxI=YRq1vh4/browse/item/98417/4/0/0
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 8:56 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
CrownKlown wrote:
Uh how about a God dam release date for High school DxD? Its nice you announced the release date for a show that is not even finished, but how about announcing the release date on a show you have been sitting on for close to a year.

chill out man, here ya go
http://www.rightstuf.com/1-800-338-6827/catalogmgr/73Zcq8XDxI=YRq1vh4/browse/item/98417/4/0/0

Man its 85 degrees outside I cant chill out. but yea saw the August 20th release date. I am satisfied, though I still dont care for some of their practices.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 9:06 pm Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
Honestly between Sentai and Funi, sentai is easily the better company.

Yes, what with their cheap as dirt packaging, constant audio and video issues, grammatical errors in their subtitles, mediocre-to-poor dubs, and general lack of care that they put into their products. Not to mention they had to pretty much be strong-armed into recalling their faulty Kids on the Slope blurays.

Surely, they are a truly shining example of how to run a business. Rolling Eyes
configspace

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 9:07 pm Reply with quote
^ still no sign of Maken Ki, which came out in 2011, before Highschool DxD....
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 9:28 pm Reply with quote
Rinkwolf wrote:
FenixFiesta wrote:
At least it was not somehow snatched up by Sentai Filmworks and we get discs with huge audio issues and a devil may care dub job.

In what world has this ever happened? I've yet to hear of a license to be "snatch" out of another company, let alone Funimation (the biggest one). It's like the little brother of the family stealing the eldest's lunch money and lunch.

Then about sentia's audio issue....it happened one time on one episodes on only the BD and they addressed it right before release? What is so bad about that? Funimation has these issues with DBZ recently as well. Big deal. Old news, so move along.

Thank you, Rinkwolf. I know Sentai has had issues with some of their releases, but so have basically everyone at one time or another, or a similar issue.

Don't make such ignorant, generalized statements or you end up looking like an ass.

Now, as for why we're here: I'm pleased to see FUNi will release AoT as I'd been hoping to show it to my brother who doesn't watch subbed series.
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 11:38 pm Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:

Honestly between Sentai and Funi, sentai is easily the better company. Funi delays everything, Index, Railgun, Zombie of the Dead, Guilty Crown; I mean the better question to ask is what did they license on time. And I own at 10 Sentai releases and have issues with none of them, and they are released on time. Whoa.

Oh and lets not forget Funimation stand up move of releasing things on dvd , saying no blu ray release will occur, people buy the dvd, and then a year later, hey here is a blu ray release.

I laughed so hard at your second paragraph. Funimation, in my opinion and what I've gotten from them, always releases quality. Funi might delay a lot, but at least they still give us a good product. Sentai may release on time, but to me their stuff is only sub par.

I was just watching the Penguindrum dub from Sentai last night and was disappointed at several instances when the words didn't go with the mouth movements. Also by the fact that the subs were only of the English version of the script and not the translated Japanese. Funimation gives us the actual translated Japanese subs and great dubs.

It doesn't really seem like you have a huge problem with Funi other than that they delay all the time. You didn't say anything about their quality of work. Rest assured though because AoT is in good hands Smile

I was just giving an example of my opinions of them. Funimation is my favorite out of the two so don't take it to heart. I just think they'll do a better job with the dub than Sentai.

Also, I've been imagining Johnny Yong Bosch as the voice of Eren. Hm.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 11:46 pm Reply with quote
The chances are probably miniscule, but I'd love for some of the bonus material in the Japanese Blu-Ray release to make it into some form of US release. Specifically, I want English translations of the visual novels. Probably not going to happen, but I can hope right?
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 1:09 am Reply with quote
KENZICHI wrote:
CrownKlown wrote:

Honestly between Sentai and Funi, sentai is easily the better company. Funi delays everything, Index, Railgun, Zombie of the Dead, Guilty Crown; I mean the better question to ask is what did they license on time. And I own at 10 Sentai releases and have issues with none of them, and they are released on time. Whoa.

Oh and lets not forget Funimation stand up move of releasing things on dvd , saying no blu ray release will occur, people buy the dvd, and then a year later, hey here is a blu ray release.

I laughed so hard at your second paragraph. Funimation, in my opinion and what I've gotten from them, always releases quality. Funi might delay a lot, but at least they still give us a good product. Sentai may release on time, but to me their stuff is only sub par.

I was just watching the Penguindrum dub from Sentai last night and was disappointed at several instances when the words didn't go with the mouth movements. Also by the fact that the subs were only of the English version of the script and not the translated Japanese. Funimation gives us the actual translated Japanese subs and great dubs.

The subs on Penguindrum are the translated lines, not just lines from the dub. The things is that Sentai's dubs tend to follow the sub script much more closely than Funi's do, who tends to be more liberal with their script adaptations. There are only a few lines here and there that veer far from the actual translation and its extremely faithful for the most part.

Also, I can't even remember the last time I heard a dub from Funimation that I would say was great. The last of theirs that I heard that wasn't either downright terrible at worst, or a big disappointment at least, was Shiki. Even that one had some serious moments of laziness, such as the director and cast not taking the time to research the proper pronunciation of English medical terms. But unlike the majority of Funimation dubs, the casting was very solid and the performances were good, even though their script was a bit hammy at times.

Funi's biggest problem for me is always their casting. I'm hoping they just do an okay job with the dub and don't botch the release in some way, as they seem to do with every series I'm interested in from them. As long as the dub is passable, the art box doesn't peel (like Okami-San), the video quality is terrible (like Lain), and they don't screw up the audio mixing, I should be able to live with it. Though I'm sure they will delay the title at least once or twice.
HikariProject

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 2:36 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Zalis116 wrote:
Though in the "What about <unrelated other anime they've licensed>?" department, I have to wonder about 2011's We Without Wings, which is approaching the 2-year anniversary of its license announcement with no release date in sight. Are we going to see that in 2014? 2015?

Maybe they finally got a good look at it and placed it on the forever-backburner? They're FUNi, so they're obligated to dub it.

I hope they have plans for it. I've been waiting for news about We Without Wings and C3 for a while now.

Funimation does some things right and some things wrong. Regardless, they shouldn't pick up a show if they aren't going to release it in a timely fashion.

Honestly, I would be happy with a sub-only release. Apparently, they released a poll and there isn't much relative interest in these shows, especially Oretachi. It would make sense to release these titles sub only. Their dogmatism is outdated and quite frankly a little irritating.
bs3311

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 6:41 am Reply with quote
Quote:
As long as the dub is passable, the art box doesn't peel (like Okami-San), the video quality is terrible (like Lain), and they don't screw up the audio mixing, I should be able to live with it. Though I'm sure they will delay the title at least once or twice.

Same with my Okami box. Plus the Lain artbox that I bought was peeled from top to bottom. tisk, tisk, tisk Evil or Very Mad At least I got it for 10 dollars off from rightstuf price, I thought the video quality was only a slight bit off compared to the Japanese BD. If so, then thats dissapointing compared to Sentai who has phenomenal video/audio quality from there Clannad Blu-Ray releases.

So much for Funi doing good buisness then with there so called "high quality packaging" Rolling Eyes

Once again with all the demonizing on Sentai, as a fan I do not like what they done with KOTS which is why I sent my 2nd disc out to recall and asked (typed) the question about there audio flaw in there release at Anime Central. But they have been around for 5 years now, and lets not compare what Funimation's done for the first 5 years Anime hyper.

Now to my non surprised expression of Funimation licensing Attack on Titan, now to wait. But so far, the hype I got from the series is dropping somewhat. And from reading some of the manga after watching the first two episodes, along with hearing how spoiler[that Eran can become a 15 meter titan which is how he got his limbs back and survivied, the lucky giant shonen power givin bastard] its probably going to fall faster. I hope not Embarassed.

Last edited by bs3311 on Mon May 20, 2013 7:28 am; edited 1 time in total
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 7:06 am Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
Good on FUNi! Attack on Titan will only add to the exciting lineup they have for the second half of this year with Fujiko Mine, Roberta's Blood Trail and Eureka Seven: AO.

Can't wait!

Also, Psycho-Pass whenever they can put a date on that, yet another day-1 buy I'm looking forward to along with these.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 9:27 am Reply with quote
bs3311 wrote:
Now to my non surprised expression of Funimation licensing Attack on Titan, now to wait. But so far, the hype I got from the series is dropping somewhat. And from reading some of the manga after watching the first two episodes, along with hearing how spoiler[that Eran can become a 15 meter titan which is how he got his limbs back and survivied, the lucky giant shonen power givin bastard] its probably going to fall faster. I hope not Embarassed.

Yeah, I'm still trying to wrap my head around that one. It ... could work? People who like the manga still like it so ... wait, I don't like shounen.

It's popular, it's hyped and super hyped, it's .. not finished yet. But already getting dubbed. Yeah?

Well, regardless of giving me everything I want in a home release like most Funimation products, I won't or even can't care until I've seen what the actual product is.

Also, what about C Cubed? If Funny doesn't want to do it, they should sell their rights to Sentai who's already released three Oonuma shows. Hey, a complaint on a show that's still in limbo and not being released in a couple months; At least I'm paying attention...
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 10:18 am Reply with quote
was C3 ever actually fully licensed?
Chrno2

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 11:11 am Reply with quote
SAY WHAAAAAAAAAAT???? I had high hopes that this would get licensed. I was thinking about it this week. I really need to sit and watch this. If it's as scary as you folks say I'm in. Well, at least all the animation problems will be fixed by then. I wonder if the series will sync up with the book. I wonder if there has been an comparison reviews for manga vs anime.
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 3:54 pm Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
KENZICHI wrote:
CrownKlown wrote:

The subs on Penguindrum are the translated lines, not just lines from the dub. The things is that Sentai's dubs tend to follow the sub script much more closely than Funi's do, who tends to be more liberal with their script adaptations. There are only a few lines here and there that veer far from the actual translation and its extremely faithful for the most part.

Also, I can't even remember the last time I heard a dub from Funimation that I would say was great. The last of theirs that I heard that wasn't either downright terrible at worst, or a big disappointment at least, was Shiki. Even that one had some serious moments of laziness, such as the director and cast not taking the time to research the proper pronunciation of English medical terms. But unlike the majority of Funimation dubs, the casting was very solid and the performances were good, even though their script was a bit hammy at times.

Funi's biggest problem for me is always their casting. I'm hoping they just do an okay job with the dub and don't botch the release in some way, as they seem to do with every series I'm interested in from them. As long as the dub is passable, the art box doesn't peel (like Okami-San), the video quality is terrible (like Lain), and they don't screw up the audio mixing, I should be able to live with it. Though I'm sure they will delay the title at least once or twice.

Ohh, I got you. I just didn't like that the words didn't match the mouth movements barely at all in one scene. I can't really say too much about either of their dubs though because I don't see a lot of them. I've just found that I've gotten better products from Funi. I'd rather Funi get this than anyone else. I do admit they don't always find the best matches for VA's, so I'm a little worried, but when has this never been the case for any company? Anime hyper
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4