• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Suki Party Weekend

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Adam Wednesdays

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 6:03 pm Reply with quote
I have to agree with Justin and Zac on Anime Sols; it would be great if it succeeded, but I just don't see how they can on the model they have. The shows are too niche, and having so many of them at once splits what is already a very limited pool of possible funders.

And for me personally, as much as I enjoy watching old anime series, there really aren't many I'd actually want to plunk down the money necessary for the whole show on DVD. Sure, I love throwing on an episode of the old 70s "Captain Harlock" on Crunchyroll when I need some distracting comfort food, but I can't ever see myself shelling out the cash to own it on home video. And the series on Anime Sols, from what I've seen, are much the same type of show: something designed to be enjoyed when it ran once or twice on television, and designed for the sensibilities of an audience that only existed decades ago. A lot of them were designed to be disposable trifles; the idea that these would be preserved forever in people's personal video libraries probably never even occurred to the people making them. As such, that's not what they were designed for.

I wish them luck, but I just don't see it working. As much as I'd like to be surprised.

And speaking of discount deals, I discovered that one of the last standing FYEs is not to far from me in a dilapidated mall, and they've got a whole load of discount anime that they're trying to clear out. A lot of it is stuff I'd never buy, but there are a few that I might sample because the price is just too good. In particular, it looks like they have quite a few of the Hajimino Ippo discs for about $3 each.

Of the great deals I've actually partaken in, the two that jump immediately to mind are
1) My first ever anime purchase, when I blind-bought the entire series of RahXephon from a video store clearance sale for $15. I was very new to anime at the time and had never even heard of RahXephon before, but I've never regretted the purchase once.
2) About a month and a half ago, I got all 8 discs of Escaflowne off of Ebay for a grand total of $10.05, including shipping (and before anyone asks: no, they were not bootlegs; they were the official Bandai releases, still in their shrink wrap). I was a happy nerd that day.
Adam Wednesdays

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 6:41 pm Reply with quote
Now that I've listened to more of the show and gotten to the Daisuki rep interview, I have to ask: if part of the intention is to stream series that haven't seen release in the US before, shouldn't that have been a launch feature? Browsing through the selection they have up now, all of it with the exception of Prince of Tennis (?) is shows that have already had a previous release, streaming or otherwise, or are currently airing on other sites (Madoka is on Crunchyroll, Lupin is on Hulu, etc). You'd think that the never-before licensed material would be a big part of the draw to the site. Is airing Naruto Shippuden and One Piece from the beginning really that big of a draw? How many people who came late to those series and really wanted to see them legally wouldn't have already rented the DVDs from Netflix or some other source?
agila61

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 7:26 pm Reply with quote
Adam Wednesdays wrote:
Now that I've listened to more of the show and gotten to the Daisuki rep interview, I have to ask: if part of the intention is to stream series that haven't seen release in the US before, shouldn't that have been a launch feature?

If the original intention was to put up a site that would knock Crunchyroll out of the water, they kind of took two years too long to do that. But they couldn't very well say that was the purpose, so when pressed on what unique feature they bring to the table, catalog titles that have never before been licensed could be the only thing that came to mind.

But to bring those up, they'd need to localize them first, and they might not want to spend money on localizing anything before they have any revenue streams established.

Quote:
Browsing through the selection they have up now, all of it with the exception of Prince of Tennis (?) is shows that have already had a previous release, streaming or otherwise, or are currently airing on other sites (Madoka is on Crunchyroll, Lupin is on Hulu, etc). You'd think that the never-before licensed material would be a big part of the draw to the site.

Which is why its people in countries that are mostly locked out of that catalog content that are most likely to sit up and take notice. For North American anime fans, there's very little special about the site right now.

They've got to get their region access labeling sorted out, they've got a resource intensive player, and on top of that the selection is unimpressive for an American audience. So if they did the same launch but labelled it a public beta, they might get kinder reviews.

Quote:
Is airing Naruto Shippuden and One Piece from the beginning really that big of a draw? How many people who came late to those series and really wanted to see them legally wouldn't have already rented the DVDs from Netflix or some other source?

Inside North American or outside? In Europe and Latin America, it could well be a bit of a draw.

Last edited by agila61 on Sun May 19, 2013 9:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 7:32 pm Reply with quote
Listened to this on the drive home from Anime Central. A few things:

* Good dubs post-Cowboy Bebop: kind of surprised Justin didn't mention Baccano!, since he talked it up on one of those yearenders a while back, and it's got a great range of dub performances (Brooklyn gangster, various immigrant ethnicities), all of which come off flawlessly. Proof of the pudding: compare how funny Isaac and Miria are here to spoiler[how flat their cameo falls in the Durarara!! dub.]

* After a weekend of "can neither confirm nor deny" responses at ACen industry panels (to questions that largely deserved exactly that response), it was nice to hear Ms. Maruyama being very generous in taking Zac's questions about possible future directions for the company and not totally shutting them down. Still, it's not like she gave a definite "yes" to any of them, so hopefully we're not going to have a "but you promised us Sailor Moon and Turn A Gundam back on ANNCast" in six months (No, she never said that. My point exactly.)
[/list]
Adam Wednesdays

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 7:36 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:

They've got to get their region access labeling sorted out, they've got a resource intensive player, and on top of that the selection is unimpressive for an American audience. So if they did the same launch but labelled it a public beta, they might get kinder reviews.

Inside North American or outside? In Europe and Latin America, it could well be a bit of a draw.

Good points. Hopefully they find that audience.
leokiko

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 10:32 pm Reply with quote
I could easily see it failing, japanese companies suck at streaming websites. Crunchyroll, which was a freaking pirate website before, is the best one atm for legal streaming and will keep being so.

They also have no clue about what the overseas audience want as well. Gundam? We can get(almost) everything illegally, easily. I can even find most of it completely translated in my own language, portuguese, easily as well. They have to do something special if they wanna lessen the piracy, and I'm confident they won't manage that.
agila61

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 11:33 pm Reply with quote
leokiko wrote:
I could easily see it failing, japanese companies suck at streaming websites. Crunchyroll, which was a freaking pirate website before, is the best one atm for legal streaming and will keep being so.

Yes, the original plan of Bandai to knock off Crunchyroll surely is not going to happen, so they are going to have to switch to Plan B.

Quote:
They also have no clue about what the overseas audience want as well. Gundam? We can get(almost) everything illegally, easily. I can even find most of it completely translated in my own language, portuguese, easily as well. They have to do something special if they wanna lessen the piracy, and I'm confident they won't manage that.

The behind the scenes stuff would be something special, but of course even though that is the real competitive advantage if they make it available, there's nothing along those lines available at launch.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 11:58 pm Reply with quote
So, are they supposed to get any exclusives of new shows? They seem to be saying they're not in competition with other legal streams, so that makes me think not. I could see them getting exclusives for OVAs and movies, since the other sites don't often deal in that.

As for exclusives being stuff like behind the scenes and so on, that's cool, but is that something anyone would ever pay for? I'm curious to know what how that's going to be implemented, and for what.
machetecat

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 8:20 am Reply with quote
Honestly, I think Daisuki's merch shop might wind up helping it quite a bit. The figures and stuff I saw on there so far look pretty sweet.

So far, nothing available for streaming on the site really stands out to me. I'm not really a big mecha fan, and honestly the only shows that aired prior to 2000 that ever really caught my interest were usually fantasy shows, so the older stuff doesn't really catch my interest. Everything else i can watch on my Roku, which is my preferred way to stream anyway.

However, their shop sounds pretty cool. Depending on the prices, I could see myself investing in that. I think that's a neat way to make the site different from the usual streaming stuff. CR has something similar to an extent but almost all their stuff can also be found on Rightstuf. I hope Daisuki's gonna take their shop idea and do something a little cooler with it.

If they are still considering licensing requests for stuff not made available in the U.S., though. I do humbly request (beg) to PLEASE license Mahoraba ~Heartful Days~. I will throw money at any site/company willing to legally stream/release Mahoraba in the U.S.

I just... I just really want legally watch this show so bad....

Edit: OH! Also if someone could legally simulcast stream Detective Conan, I would also be forever grateful. Also obligatory "I will freaking die of happiness if you license Sailor Moon" saying.
agila61

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 10:38 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
So, are they supposed to get any exclusives of new shows? They seem to be saying they're not in competition with other legal streams, so that makes me think not. I could see them getting exclusives for OVAs and movies, since the other sites don't often deal in that.

Based on the Engrish html comments in their html code, I wouldn't be surprised if the premium content will tend to be movies. The Engrishness of the whole site leave that more ambiguous than it would normally be for a site that leaves such a large amount of its dirty laundry hanging out in public, since one can never be sure if the word that they are using is being used to mean what it normally means.

Quote:
As for exclusives being stuff like behind the scenes and so on, that's cool, but is that something anyone would ever pay for? I'm curious to know what how that's going to be implemented, and for what.

If they are smart, behind the scenes exclusives are free stuff to get people to come to the site, and then while they are there buy the stuffs for sale.

But since they keep saying in interviews that they won't have Download to Own or Download to Rent, it seems likely their paid content will be "pay for access", and after JManga I'd expect a bit of once bitten, twice shy to undermine those revenues.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 10:44 am Reply with quote
machetecat wrote:
Also obligatory "I will freaking die of happiness if you license Sailor Moon" saying.
Oh Dear. They might not now as they wouldn't want to be the cause of your untimely death. Laughing
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 12:41 pm Reply with quote
I liked the length of this episode. Podcasts are best short and sweet. (at least under 2 hours, please!)

I always enjoy hearing Zac & Justin palling around, discussing what they've been watching. I'm bummed about all the negative reviews Star Trek has been getting. I keep dreaming of what would happen if Joss Whedon got the property. I mean, there's a no chance he will, but it's nice to dream.

I'm North American but I'd be interested in Daisuki if they stream "classic" shows no longer legally available streaming. The Gundam stuff sounds good, but what about Evangelion, Twelve Kingdoms, or even Cowboy Bebop? I've been hankering to check out shows that aired on Toonami in the mid-nineties - mid aughts but aren't airing anywhere now.
Dfens

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 4:15 pm Reply with quote
For some reason I just never got into streaming. All the dam comercials, delays in simucasting and whatnot I'll just stick with my current formula download the much faster higher quality fansubs and then buy the show if/when available.

Unless they can stream new shows rightaway and get exclusive rights with their connections I don't see them being much competion for Crunchyroll or Funimation etc. I remember on one show, Funi was 5-6 weeks behind Japan before they got the rights to stream a new show and I said forget it.

Daisuke's store isn't even up but if it's anything like the prizes they are giving away you can import that stuff already from various retailers like Ami Ami or my fav HLJ. Probably even cheaper and much faster too. Now if they have a exclusive item from their site only they can have a real winner for their store section.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 1:26 am Reply with quote
I disagree with you quite a bit justin, mystery series if done correctly can have a lot of rewatch value. also if what you say is true then why has the case closed manga always get top ten for a while for each volume after 46 volumes! also same can be said for umineko. the anime for case closed failed because the dub really alienated it's fans because it actually removes a ton of references and a level of parody from the series.

Good mystery cases are meant to be reread because then you draw the connections. also I have to say umineko when they cry is the perfect example of this!

Also for true sports anime that are good what about cross game (same mangaka as touch) or bambo blade.
zawa113

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 2:47 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I wasn't a big fan of Colorful's dub either. Still, I was looking forward to owning this movie hard so I'm still happy to have my copy, because if I buy it, it might encourage other awesome unlicensed things I want to come out. I'd never watch it dub again though, the sub is just too amazing, just something about casting kids in kids roles that is awesome.
But yeah, fine film for sure!

And OMFG, Rez music! I was probably one of the few people who recognized it instantly, which makes me :3 I've got the PS2 version, but people should get Rez HD if they can.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4