• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Attack on Titan episodes 1-6

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Divineking

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 11:11 am Reply with quote
Yeah this sounds about right though I think the animation should get more a pass. The stills do get annoying every now and then, but the action scenes are are pretty well done and are mostly as beautiful as the intial PV made them out to be. I'd also agree that much of the cast isn't really fleshed out beyond Mikasa and Eren, but I guess it does make it easier to make some characters expendable, though most of them should become more interesting as time goes on.

I'm really glad the adaption is living up to it's expectations so far, and that it's pretty much geared up to be the top selling series of the year. Hopefully whenever Funi gets around to their release they'll push for a Toonami broadcast since this would do pretty well with that audience.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 11:33 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The premise is merely a mixing of classic stories about man-eating giants with the time-tested concept of a last bastion of humanity surrounded by monsters.

The premise is "medieval Muv-Luv".

Quote:
Gloriously intense opener “Guren no Yumiya” will stand as one of the year's best,

I think there are already more MAD parodies of this than Cruel Angel's Thesis. It goes with *everything*.

It
literally
goes
with
everything.
zeo1fan

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 11:44 am Reply with quote
You've effectively touched on everything I like and dislike about this series. Kudos. I likewise look forward to seeing where the story goes from here.
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 11:58 am Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:

I think there are already more MAD parodies of this than Cruel Angel's Thesis. It goes with *everything*.

Just seeing this version makes me happy to know that people remember this show did in fact exist (that and watching it a 4am made me lose control of my life).

Anyway, I don't have much to say on it since I haven't watch much beyond some highlighted scenes. But from what I've been hearing about the animation quality, it sounds as if people had their expectations set really high and because of that bar being set so high, some scenes delivered while others didn't. Is that the case or is it something else?
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 12:25 pm Reply with quote
Hypeathon wrote:
HitokiriShadow wrote:

Just seeing this version makes me happy to know that people remember this show did in fact exist (that and watching it a 4am made me lose control of my life).

I hadn't seen that one. Oh man, I loved that show when I was growing up. My favorite is still the Thomas the Tank engine one though.

Quote:

Anyway, I don't have much to say on it since I haven't watch much beyond some highlighted scenes. But from what I've been hearing about the animation quality, it sounds as if people had their expectations set really high and because of that bar being set so high, some scenes delivered while others didn't. Is that the case or is it something else?

The previews helped set those expectations. It also uses still frames in scenes when you'd normally expect movement rather heavily for an action series and it's hard to attribute it entirely to artistic choice.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 12:49 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:

I hadn't seen that one. Oh man, I loved that show when I was growing up. My favorite is still the Thomas the Tank engine one though.

I was literally falling out of my chair laughing when watching that Thomas the Tank Engine video. Attack on Thomas? LoL. The song really does go with everything though. I am sure I could make a mash up video of "Charles In Charge" with that same sound track and it would be epic.

When I think of "gloriously intense" openers though, the first thing that pops into my mind is the opening for Shikabane Hime. Pretty much everything else pales in comparison.

Last edited by ChibiKangaroo on Mon May 20, 2013 12:59 pm; edited 2 times in total
jymmy

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 12:56 pm Reply with quote
Nice review. Attack on Titan is pretty good overall - I agree that the good and the bad roughly balance out - but scores extra points for sheer entertainment value. It's thoroughly enjoyable but without resorting to cheapness (the massive plot twist is kind of answered by another huge one, though together they set a largely consistent tone for the rest of the story).

I want to like the opener more, but the male singer's vocals just don't match up to the bombastic orchestration without the chorus behind them. It's like power metal diluted by J-Pop and the singer having a cold. I want Norio Wakamoto to do a vocal cover of it.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 1:13 pm Reply with quote
Attack on Titan has been a massive disappointment for me. The first two episodes were badly written, the obnoxious lead is utterly unlikeable and the setting is inherently implausible*. I'm actually stalled on the third episode because of how poor it has been. I intend to try and catch up but there isn't much enthusiasm in me to do so.

Do these humans not know of moats? And why did they not make their fortress on a large island like Fiji or Madagascar or the islands of New Zealand?
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 1:20 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Japanese vocal work is competent but unexceptional.

Partially true, I suppose; Yu Kobyashi's voice and performances are best described as uncompetently exceptional. I couldn't but grin when I first heard Sasha eat that potato...

I came for the Titans but I stayed for her.
danilo07

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 1:37 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Do these humans not know of moats?

Yeah cause with monsters that are 50 meters tall,moats would really help.Besides from what we now about Titans,there would likely pop up a Titan who would like an anti-moat Titan.And why the hell would they a moat in a first place?They lived in peace for 100 years.
Quote:
And why did they not make their fortress on a large island like Fiji or Madagascar or the islands of New Zealand?

I dont know ,maybe its because titans exist everywhere.I mean they are supernatural creatures,or is it because this universe isnt exactly like our planet Earth.
Ortensia1980

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 2:27 pm Reply with quote
Attack on Titan is my favourite anime this season. It just keeps getting better with every episode.

dtm42 wrote:
Do these humans not know of moats? And why did they not make their fortress on a large island like Fiji or Madagascar or the islands of New Zealand?

They did have huge trenches around one of the gates and one of the Titans that had fallen in was seen climbing out of one of them so I doubt that moats would have helped.
sainta

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 2:36 pm Reply with quote
Episodes 4, 5, 6 and 7 have been one "Oh my god" moment one after another. The end of episode 5 was impressive. spoiler[Eren remembering his biggest desire when saving Armin but before being eaten was amazing.] Episode 6 tried to calm down with a surprisingly violent and touching flashback but episode 7 was epic. It can be bad since it would leave the rest of the series with almost no mysteries. I can't wait for episode 8.

Also the comedy has a nice tone. The characters never acknowledge how dumb can a situation be and remain serious. Just look at this mix of the potato scene. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7K5tjMxsatw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2n4TBef0aws

Last edited by sainta on Mon May 20, 2013 2:39 pm; edited 2 times in total
Volibear

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 2:38 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Attack on Titan has been a massive disappointment for me. The first two episodes were badly written, the obnoxious lead is utterly unlikeable and the setting is inherently implausible*. I'm actually stalled on the third episode because of how poor it has been. I intend to try and catch up but there isn't much enthusiasm in me to do so.

It sounds more like you were looking for disappointment than finding it. I will give you that the lead isn't that good. There have been much better ones in most series, but complaining about the setting of an anime being implausible? Really? Most anime have implausible settings, so why is it an issue here?

And why would you need a moat? A 50m wall that, to all available knowledge to them, was sufficient to keep out the Titans (the normal titans are between 3 and 15m tall). They had no knowledge of the Colossal and Armored Titans. If they did then sure, maybe it's worth the loss of land, time and resources for the added safety. And what purpose would moving to build the settlement on an island serve? Even if we ignore the fact that it never says that it takes place on our Earth (or Earth in the past), we as a species didn't do long distance seafaring until much later (series states that things began in 745). The only island that would fit the bill would be the UK as a result. But why would you do that? All indications are that Titans are everywhere. You would want to pull in as many people as you could with minimal risk. Crossing water would be wayyyyyyyy to risky. Setting up a boat makes you easy targets so you'd never be able to successfully do it.

Tbh, if you're picking those kind of holes in it it's probably not worth watching. Those feelings won't ease up as you go further into it.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 2:44 pm Reply with quote
dtm is just being a Frodo. "Why don't they" "they didn't they" because magic, because a wizard did it, because then you'd have no story. Maybe it's because there's more information that has not yet been revealed that might explain more of this world and its circumstances.
ScumbagYoshi

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 4:01 pm Reply with quote
Attack on Titan is on the good side of average I would say. I don't think anything the show has done so far has proven to be particularly excellent, but it just doesn't do anything that's horribly awful either.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7