• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
RIGHT TURN ONLY!! - Holding Out For a Heroman

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shamisen the great

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 8:27 pm Reply with quote
I forgot all about Heroman. I'm surprised the anime never got licensed in America like the manga.
darcerin

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 10:38 pm Reply with quote
Dramacon started off really strong, and by the third volume, fell flat. I haven't read it since I finished it, but I recall being really disappointed by the end. I think had it been drawn out maybe another two volumes, things might have been resolved a bit better. Ah well.
RestLessone

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 11:28 pm Reply with quote
I had the same reaction to Sunny. I liked it and will buy the next volume, but the art could be overwhelming and the story didn't seem to...go anywhere? This isn't necessarily a bad thing, but in Sunny's case, it could have been handled better. It jumps around introducing characters, then leaves them for the next kid. Other than the main child, most of the characters are lacking. (It would also be interesting to spend a couple chapters on the adults and their career choice.)

Still, it was worth it. The product itself is high quality, I don't find the characters unlikable (sans the literal snot-nosed brat) and the plot as a whole is good. Plus it's nice to see more 'indie-ish' stuff brought over. Hopefully there'll be some plotting improvements in the next volume.

On Dramacon: I never read it, though recall flipping through a friend's volume. I liked the art. I did come across that "it just has to look Japanese to be manga" part, and it sort of put me off. (I never liked that argument.) Especially considering the thing was comparing art to pizza.
sainta

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 9:44 am Reply with quote
Did Kenshin Restoration get only one volume or is it still being published?
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 9:23 pm Reply with quote
I absolutely love Dramacon. I've had the chance to meet Svetlana too and she is super nice.

Also, if vol 4 is anything like 2 and 3, a D+ is pretty generous for Is This a Zombie?. Easily the worst manga I've ever had to read for reviewing purposes (or any other purposes, for that matter).
malvarez1

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 11:01 am Reply with quote
sainta wrote:
Did Kenshin Restoration get only one volume or is it still being published?

It is still being published. In Japan, the series runs in Jump SQ magazine, I believe.
Hobbiton Guard

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 7:17 pm Reply with quote
marie-antoinette wrote:
I absolutely love Dramacon. I've had the chance to meet Svetlana too and she is super nice.

Also, if vol 4 is anything like 2 and 3, a D+ is pretty generous for Is This a Zombie?. Easily the worst manga I've ever had to read for reviewing purposes (or any other purposes, for that matter).

What do you hate about it? I'm a fan of the anime and have been collecting the manga. It's not the best manga out there, but it's still enjoyable IMO, so I'm curious as to why you dislike it so much.
loka

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 11:35 am Reply with quote
marie-antoinette wrote:
Easily the worst manga I've ever had to read for reviewing purposes (or any other purposes, for that matter).

Ironic, considering I was thinking the same about Dramacon. That is a series I started reading when I wanted to try some OEL Manga. Easily the worst OEL Manga (and that's saying something) I've had the misfortune of being recommended.
Bonham

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:23 pm Reply with quote
It's weird to see Taiyo Matsumoto's art described overwhelming. Some of the close-ups/"wide-angle" panels can be disorienting, I guess, but he tends to use that as a punctuation for an emotional effect—or the beginning of one.

The first volume of Sunny really feels like it's laying the groundwork more than anything, so I don't see a need for a lot of "progression." Plus, despite the kind of magical realism you usually find in Matsumoto's work, this story is also relatively low-key. Any overt development, particularly in one volume, with a large cast named cast would feel forced.

That's really why I'm glad the manga is, as with other Taiyo Matsumoto titles, just about those more reflective moments or "beats" between dramatic points. It's why people love Ghibli and early Disney films so much. Plus, these are kids who actually act like kids, and this is reflected in the whimsy that you mention, Carlo. (Chapter four's deviation away from that makes it more jarring, but Kenji is older and having to deal with more transitions compared to the younger kids and even the adults, so its tone makes sense.) It's really charming without being sentimental.

It's definitely the best manga I've discovered in a while, and, iirc, the first new Signature line release Viz has put out for a few years. Hopefully we'll see this change.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1