• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Vertical's To Terra, Andromeda Stories to Go Out of Print

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Graceful Nanami

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 12:34 am Reply with quote
...Why is she doing this?
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 1:17 am Reply with quote
That's what ya get for not picking up her new manga! j/k
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 9:25 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The company stated that it would not pick up Takemiya's Kaze to Ki no Uta manga at Otakon in 2011.

I would love to see someone release this in America.

I thought Vertical did a great job with their Takemiya releases. I think I read that they didn't sell very well though. I wonder what the story behind Takemiya leaving Vertical is. I'm guessing she wasn't happy with the sales numbers or maybe someone else has made an offer for Kaze to Ki no Uta? (Probably not, but a girl can dream.....)
Myaow

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 9:55 am Reply with quote
What a pity! To Terra is soooooo beautiful and I really loved Vertical's release of it. I'm very sad that it can't just be available forever so tons of people can read it.
sepherest

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 11:24 am Reply with quote
It was kind of inevitable that they were going to go out of print (they've been out for a pretty long time now and I seriously doubt they sold that many copies) but from the sound of the article something's up on Takemiya's side. Sad

I'll keep dreaming that Kaze will get licensed here, but I guess now it's more likely Vertical's BL attempts (if any at all) would be more Asumiko Nakamura related, since they have Utsubora coming up along with a couple previously published titles from Erotics F.
katscradle

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 1:40 pm Reply with quote
here-and-faraway wrote:

I thought Vertical did a great job with their Takemiya releases. I think I read that they didn't sell very well though. I wonder what the story behind Takemiya leaving Vertical is. I'm guessing she wasn't happy with the sales numbers or maybe someone else has made an offer for Kaze to Ki no Uta? (Probably not, but a girl can dream.....)

Really? I heard nothing but bad things about Andromeda Stories. I considered picking it up though because Ryu Mitsuse wrote the story. But, To Terra was nice. I had a difficult time actually finding it in bookstores though. I know Vertical made a joke about if there were any fans for the titles out there once. It's too bad.
Vertical_Ed
Company Representative

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 9:33 am Reply with quote
Graceful Nanami wrote:
...Why is she doing this?

Not certain really, but honestly it happens a quite bit in publishing. The thing about licensed manga is that the life-cycle is so short most people do not hear about it. And on top of that most pubs do not reveal why titles go OOP or are dropped/lost.
Vertical_Ed
Company Representative

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 9:36 am Reply with quote
Sepherest wrote:
It was kind of inevitable that they were going to go out of print (they've been out for a pretty long time now and I seriously doubt they sold that many copies) but from the sound of the article something's up on Takemiya's side. Sad

Yup. Ms Takemiya herself does not want to continue her contract with us.

However, To Terra has historically done well. Obviously the books have been available since 2007 so they are now hard to find in brick & mortar stores. But when they were they did well enough for us to immediately pick up Andromeda Stories. Andromeda however did quite poorly.
Karasuhebi

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 1:34 am Reply with quote
Vertical_Ed wrote:
Sepherest wrote:

Yup. Ms Takemiya herself does not want to continue her contract with us.

However, To Terra has historically done well. Obviously the books have been available since 2007 so they are now hard to find in brick & mortar stores. But when they were they did well enough for us to immediately pick up Andromeda Stories. Andromeda however did quite poorly.

Are you at liberty to say (or hint at) why did she not want to continue the contract? I'm curious as to why. You guys seemed to be treating her work with great respect and enthusiasm.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1