• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Demashita! Powerpuff Girls Z (PPGZ)

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Niceguy9418

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 8:26 pm Reply with quote
Oh man... Where to begin.

I thought this looked REALLY COOL at first...
I'm a pretty big fan of the PPG's, so I thought it had some good potential.

But what is up with the 10 minutes transformation scenes? I don't mind the costume changes, but is the whole... I don't know, TRANSFORMATION really necessary? (At this point some people might be thinkng - well IT'S ANIME!!! DUH!!!) But according to the source material - they were bascially "super" all the time - they just hid it. (And they didn't really even do that, but they probably should have.) (Comic book cliche)

But why do all the heroines in a shojo series (I'm assuming it's shojo, I could be wrong) take like 10 minutes to get dressed when half of them have super-speed and/or lightning reflexes? My wife doesn't take that long to get ready! I don't know... They have good source material, in PPG, but it looks to me like they made way too many changes, which is not necessarily bad, but the changes look like they were just made it to make it better fit shojo stereotypes. I hope I'm wrong... I'll still try to check it out... But my expectations have fallen severly.
Arxilius

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 11:37 pm Reply with quote
Finally, the dreams of Bleedman can be realized!
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 11:54 pm Reply with quote
Arxilius wrote:

Except without the trans-network crossovers. Laughing

For me, a lot of PPG's appeal was Craig McCracken's way of working in all this random geeky mid-to-late-20th-century pop culture junk that he was into. It seems that Japan has misunderstood the spirit of the show.
Kidder

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 12:21 am Reply with quote
Arxilius wrote:

minus the darkness and character depth of Bleedman's doujinshi and throw in some Sailormoon/Card Captor Sakura-esque transformation scenes and a bubble-pop theme -_-'

I'd love to see a properly animated version of Bleedman's PPG.
cyrax777

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:05 pm Reply with quote
well so far based on the first ep I liked it. the whole "please dont destroy the city" made me laugh since in the original the city is contanstly getting wrecked.

as to the Chemical Z ok whatever but the orgin of chemical Z made me laugh.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
omnistry

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:41 pm Reply with quote
I find it funny that spoiler[when the girls get the powers they know exactly how to transform without being told] Laughing.

All in all a great and cute retelling of the story. The action scenes can be a tad bit slow; but this was the first episode after all.

Buttercup's transformation theme song is still the coolest. And yes, there can be some yuri jokes about Buttercup; but she's still a kid so we'll probably never know.

Isn't the end theme of the show awesome, too? Very catchy.

I can't wait for this show to air in America. No doubt the series in full will be joyful to watch. Do you think the original English voice actors/actresses will be back for this one?
Alucalb

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 12:24 am Reply with quote
I really dug the first episode. Very cute art-style, really funny gags and some way groovy music. Cool I look forward to seeing the rest of the PPGs' rogues gallery in action (I'm hoping to see the Rowdy Ruff Boys, they were cool).

Last edited by Alucalb on Fri Jul 07, 2006 12:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
RDespair

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 12:55 am Reply with quote
Niceguy9418 wrote:
But what is up with the 10 minutes transformation scenes?

I'm pretty sure this is a business issue. It makes sense to have long transformation sequences, because that means there's less new material that you need to animate thus making the production costs for each episode cheaper.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
RDespair

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 9:37 am Reply with quote
Sorry for the double post, but there's a week interval so I figure it's okay.

Just saw episode 2. Yes, this series is definitely meant for kids. I'm not going to bother watching any more.

I told a friend of mine about the series and somehow her 5 year old daughter found out about it and asked to be able to watch it. The girl ended up loving it. Now my friend is plotting on using PPGZ as a "Gateway anime" to turn her daughter into an anime junkie (previous attempts at making her an anime fan haven't been too successful). I find this highly amusing.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
saninslayer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 9:41 am Reply with quote
i'm all for this show. when u consider how many of japan's cartoons( or anime) that we messed dont u think that they deserve a shot a us too.

not a real fan of the american version though so if i can i will check it out.
Mylene

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 9:46 am Reply with quote
RDespair wrote:
Just saw episode 2. Yes, this series is definitely meant for kids. I'm not going to bother watching any more.

After seeing just the transformation sequences, I began to realize this show was going to be more of a childish and painful Pretty Cure than an enjoyable (in my opinion) Sailor Moon, so I decided not to even start it. Even if a show is bad, I try to watch it through to the end to give it chances to redeem itself. Pretty Cure was one of the few not to manage that, and given some of the style similarities, etc, I've got to figure PPGZ would be the same way.

Wouldn't mind testing it out if/when it makes it over to the US. might even watch the dub, depending on who voices the girls. the original actresses might be tough unless they can properly age their voices, although an older Bubbles with young Bubbles voice would be a cute and sweet as cotton candy!
GospelX

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 11:23 am Reply with quote
saninslayer wrote:
i'm all for this show. when u consider how many of japan's cartoons( or anime) that we messed don't u think that they deserve a shot a us too.

not a real fan of the american version though so if i can i will check it out.

Not as if any of us have a background in watching the many American shows that have been dubbed in Japan, so we can't really claim that haven't screwed over much of anything. One thing I can say, though, is that they did to the first two seasons of Transformers the same thing that we did to Voltron -- mixed and matched elements from episodes to create new ones. Isn't that kind of a no-no to purists?
The Frankman

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 11:48 pm Reply with quote
Mylene wrote:
After seeing just the transformation sequences, I began to realize this show was going to be more of a childish and painful Powerpuff Girls than an enjoyable (in my opinion) Powerpuff Girls, so I decided not to even start it...

Fixed FTW. Laughing
comorbid

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:29 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Blossom: [thinking] This is bad. He's clearly an evil monster. A monkey that talks, plus he has a dark aura! And he stinks. So since I'm wearing pink, I'm a righteous, transforming heroine that defeats villains! This is japanese common sense.

Mojo: [thinking] This is bad. She's clearly a hero. Mojo. She has the aura of the main character! Mojo! And she smells nice! Mojo. But! Since I can suddenly talk, I'm the villainous monster. This is worldly common sense.

Both: So that means... ATTACK!!

Cute. Silly. I'll keep watching. Anime smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3