• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Yu-Gi-Oh! GX Coming to Shonen Jump

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 2:27 pm Reply with quote
Wait a second, I knew about the R manga, but GX? Is this gonna be any good?
IceyLonePhoenix

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 2:28 pm Reply with quote
I sort of doubt it...lol
Josh7289

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 4:31 pm Reply with quote
[quote="GATSU"]GoodLuck:
Quote:
Quote:
. There would be a problem if this ran alongside the Ancient Egypt arc, which is still going in the US magazine.

Methinks they'd just publish that arc in TPB form, but I could be wrong.

TPB form? You mean in graphics novels? I was hoping they'd finish up the Egypt arc in SJ so I didn't have to buy the GNs...

Also, I really hope they change their minds last minute and stick YGO R in there instead of that YGO GX crap.

And Gintama? WTF is that? Of all the manga they have under the "Shonen Jump" label, they put in Gintama? I was pretty neutral about the preview in the January 2006 issue -- it wasn't something I'd buy, but I might waste some time to read it, but still, there are other things much better than it that they could have put in. No wonder they haven't released any graphic novel volumes since the preview. Rolling Eyes

And continuing the rant on SJ, the two, maybe three, chapter per month scheme is really going to kill them in the long run. For the best example, I can't see as many people buying the Naruto manga and the SJ issues when the anime passes the manga in the storyline soon. Most people buy the manga just to see what happens next, I believe.
hikaru393

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 4:57 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
I didn't even know there was a manga. I thought Takahashi quit after the Millennium World arc. With this and Gintama next year, the mag is seriously starting to diminish in quality. The only reason I read it is for YYH, too. I wish they'd serialize Bobobo instead.
actually yu-gi-oh gx and yu-gi-oh is more populer then bobobo the anime got low ratings and the manga i heard there not even releasing it becuase of bad reviews or something so that might not be a good idea.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Wolverine Princess

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 6:15 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
actually yu-gi-oh gx and yu-gi-oh is more populer then bobobo the anime got low ratings and the manga i heard there not even releasing it becuase of bad reviews or something so that might not be a good idea.

It doesn't matter if it's not popular, Bobobo is way better than Yugioh and all it's spin-off series series combined. And who knows, maybe a Shounen Jump serialization would increase it's [Bobobo's] popularity. I'd like to see them serialize Bobobo or D.Gray Man instead of Yugioh, too.

Last edited by Wolverine Princess on Tue Jul 18, 2006 7:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
SharinganEyes92

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Why would they do this? Honestly? My dog makes better decisions than this. I didn't even know there was a Yu-Gi-Oh manga until last month. I didn't even know there was a Yu-Gi-Oh GX until my friend asked me if I liked the opening song to it. I was like "what the hell is Yu-Gi-Oh GX?" Really stupid decision if you ask my opinion.
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 7:04 pm Reply with quote
Nothing's gonna beat Yu Gi Oh, but Bobobo at least has a loyal legion of fans who are eagerly awaiting a dvd release, and a manga continuation. Speaking of which, whoever's handling the Q+A @ Comic Con, could you please ask them if Viz is going to publish more volumes?+
Riyousha

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 7:06 pm Reply with quote
GX on Shonen Jump USA? Great!!!

I always pick up Shonen Jump USA. I like Shonen Jump.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Malintex Terek

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 7:53 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Nothing's gonna beat Yu Gi Oh, but Bobobo at least has a loyal legion of fans who are eagerly awaiting a dvd release, and a manga continuation. Speaking of which, whoever's handling the Q+A @ Comic Con, could you please ask them if Viz is going to publish more volumes?+

Bobobo's manga is a step down from the Anime. For a "modern" Shounen Jump Manga, there's a great deal more derogatory stereotype incarnations (id est, Bobobo is blackface, not swarthy or genuinely black) and most of the "jokes" are really only funny after seeing the Anime first (consider the "duck underware" dude).

I must admit; when I heard the news about Yu-Gi-Oh GX, I was hoping it would replace One Piece and let Oda's hallowed manga die in obscurity; but, nooo, the first Yu-Gi-Oh manga hasn't been finished yet! Bah, both Viz and Tokyopop are synonymous with trash nowadays.
GoodLuckSaturday

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 8:16 pm Reply with quote
Malintex Terek wrote:
Bobobo's manga is a step down from the Anime. For a "modern" Shounen Jump Manga, there's a great deal more derogatory stereotype incarnations (id est, Bobobo is blackface, not swarthy or genuinely black) and most of the "jokes" are really only funny after seeing the Anime first (consider the "duck underware" dude).

I must admit; when I heard the news about Yu-Gi-Oh GX, I was hoping it would replace One Piece and let Oda's hallowed manga die in obscurity; but, nooo, the first Yu-Gi-Oh manga hasn't been finished yet! Bah, both Viz and Tokyopop are synonymous with trash nowadays.

I found the one volume of Bo-bobo that was released in English to be far funnier and much better than all I've seen of the anime (which isn't a lot). I love both, but I would rather read the manga. This is one manga I would buy. It's just a shame we probably won't ever get it in English.

I assume you think One Piece was hollow to begin with? I don't care if that's what you're getting at, but if not, you can't blame Viz for hollowing the manga, considering they've yet to edit anything.

Conversely, I personally like Gintama more than Bo-bobo, so I'm just glad Viz is doing something with it, but I still can't retract my "planning for the future" statement if it's going to be serialized in the magazine, considering it's perhaps one of the oddest series they could ever think of serializing.
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 8:49 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
For a "modern" Shounen Jump Manga, there's a great deal more derogatory stereotype incarnations (id est, Bobobo is blackface, not swarthy or genuinely black)

I don't really notice it in this volume, but since Bobobo's a parody of shonen fighting series in general, I'm guessing he's meant to be a knock at other artists' depictions of blacks, not necessarily a racist view of the creator.
Malintex Terek

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 8:53 pm Reply with quote
GoodLuckSaturday wrote:

I found the one volume of Bo-bobo that was released in English to be far funnier and much better than all I've seen of the anime (which isn't a lot). I love both, but I would rather read the manga. This is one manga I would buy. It's just a shame we probably won't ever get it in English.

Why is that "a shame"?

GoodLuckSaturday wrote:

I assume you think One Piece was hollow to begin with? I don't care if that's what you're getting at, but if not, you can't blame Viz for hollowing the manga, considering they've yet to edit anything.

Manga is not a children's genre. It's a teen and young adult niche market within the already niche market of Anime, which is in turn a divison of "cartoons" which are chiefly for children. Outside of the eight hundred pound marketing gorillas, Anime should be directed at teens/young adults like it was ten years ago.

I am insulted at Viz's arsinine dialogue and their half-arsed attempts at "translating" the manga. Reading Viz's woeful writing should not be as difficult to follow as a Shakespearean monologue, and the phrasing and edit inconsistencies portray Oda as smoking a different flavour of crack cocaine before drawing each chapter. It's like something out of Lewis Carroll's deranged psyche.

Yes, "Nefertari" and "Zoro" are pronounced "Nefeltari" and "Zolo", but it's not like the average Shounen Jump readers are seven years old and are going to talk to their friends about "omg zolo he's so coolzz" at recess. Sure, some of them might, but not most of them. When I last checked, only President Bush caters to "small minority bases"; all politicians and (supposedly) all corporations should listen to what MOST people think.

Let me say, "most" Shounen Jump readers are not as radical as I am; they're only slightly disappointed with the OP manga. Well, why settle for slightly when they need not be disappointed at all? At this point, "letting One Piece slip under the radar" is the only incentive I see to get Viz to make some serious changes to the manga.

Naruto's popularity has done little to change its translation quality, which I should note is as bad as One Piece (not that I concern myself with Naruto). Ergo, something else must be done to remedy the matter.

One Piece is only still in SJ because of the special ASJ contract with Shueisha; its mediocre sales reflect this, especially because its paired up with golden geese.

Personally, though, I think YYH's dialogue is quite funny.

Also, "hallowed" is a synonym for "blessed". Wink
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:33 pm Reply with quote
SharinganEyes92 wrote:
Why would they do this? Honestly? My dog makes better decisions than this. I didn't even know there was a Yu-Gi-Oh manga until last month. I didn't even know there was a Yu-Gi-Oh GX until my friend asked me if I liked the opening song to it. I was like "what the hell is Yu-Gi-Oh GX?" Really stupid decision if you ask my opinion.

When you're saying you didn't know about a Yugioh manga, are you referring to the original series, GX, or R? Because the original series has a total of 38 volumes to it.
Josh7289

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:43 pm Reply with quote
Woah, woah, woah, could someone fill me in on these translation issues, because I never knew about them before? Also, how is the translation for Bleach, because I was about to start buying that?
Kyuriko

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:55 pm Reply with quote
To be honest, even as a GX fan, I was never interested in the manga, and nor do I look forward to it now. I don't understand why VIZ couldn't have serialized two new manga series in the magazine instead of continuing an old one. Why couldn't they do what they did with Dragonball Z and just release GX as a separate graphic novel series and serialize something else along with Gintama?

I am excited that they will be bringing Gintama, though. I was wondering when they would get around to it.

As for the translation issues, I believe much of it has to do with the way Viz has been trying to write the dialogue to flow more like natural English, something I prefer over a literate translation. But still, I won't deny there's been a lot of times where the dialogue does seem unnatural and I have to reread something a few times over.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3