• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Dusk maiden of Amnesia Blu-Ray

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 5:05 pm Reply with quote
^
Agree with you about the ending. spoiler[I like happy endings and I was rooting for the couple, so I wasn't displeased about the fact that Yuuko stayed. What was annoying however was the way the entire episode built deliberately and strongly up to her saying goodbye to Teiichi, only for it to do a one-eighty in the final scene and shoot itself in the foot. What would have been a very emotional and bitter-sweet send-off got undermined and turned into, "Psyche! You got punked, b*tches!" So while I like the fact that they did end up together, I thought it was a rather cruel joke to play on the viewers, and a waste of all that good lead-up.]
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 5:19 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
^
Agree with you about the ending. spoiler[I like happy endings and I was rooting for the couple, so I wasn't displeased about the fact that Yuuko stayed. What was annoying however was the way the entire episode built deliberately and strongly up to her saying goodbye to Teiichi, only for it to do a one-eighty in the final scene and shoot itself in the foot. What would have been a very emotional and bitter-sweet send-off got undermined and turned into, "Psyche! You got punked, b*tches!" So while I like the fact that they did end up together, I thought it was a rather cruel joke to play on the viewers, and a waste of all that good lead-up.]

spoiler[Can i say despite all of that i didn't mind them doing the 180 so we could get a happy ending??]

Last edited by Cecilthedarkknight_234 on Fri May 24, 2013 6:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 6:12 pm Reply with quote
^
Geez man, spoiler.

spoiler[I would rather that they had set up a happy ending in the first place, instead of pretending for almost the entire final episode that Yuuko was going to have to go away/move on. That way we don't have to suffer the one-eighty while still having our fairytale ending.]
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 6:18 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
^
Geez man, spoiler.

spoiler[I would rather that they had set up a happy ending in the first place, instead of pretending for almost the entire final episode that Yuuko was going to have to go away/move on. That way we don't have to suffer the one-eighty while still having our fairytale ending.]

spoiler[well the manga was still ongoing so maybe the author gave them a heads up on how they where ending the series. In all honesty i think they should have done a ova with said ending so it could have been flushed out more.]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 6:22 pm Reply with quote
^
That still doesn't explain why the Anime staff did it that way.
Blarg Monster

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 6:42 pm Reply with quote
Surprised to see Theron give this a higher grade than Fate/Zero.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 8:46 pm Reply with quote
It is good to see that the release got a high grade, so I look forward to buying it on DVD to re-watch the series. Unfortunately I don't own a BD player so I won't get the soundtrack extras.

Although looking at the cover, I am kind of happier with what Hanabee's cover will look like.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 9:50 pm Reply with quote
I just finished the last two episodes of the show today, and I have to say I wasn't that impressed with it. Maybe it had just been too long sense I had seen the rest of the show (which was when it was originally airing) but picking it up after a long wait just made me realize how annoying I found the characters, and the situation. I think I was only interested in knowing about Yuuko's past and once I knew that there wasn't anything left in the show for me.
jymmy

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 11:17 pm Reply with quote
High praise for the title. I agree with basically everything Theron's said, though I never held it in quite as high regard. It was consistently good, and I really loved the inventive visuals. I commend the creativeness of the same-scene-seen-twice thing in the first episode, though I thought it would have been stronger with just Momoe's view - everything that happened from Teiichi/Yuuko's perspective was already implied.

The ending sucked. You can't have an entire episode done the way the last episode was and then have that twist, it simply doesn't work. On a less important note, it also showed that not every opening song works as an cathartic insert song. Choir Jail is bloody great but its dark, dramatic synth and vocals did not at all complement the action onscreen.

@dtm42: I was also enamoured with Mysterious Girlfriend X (though I never agreed that it was somehow a realistic portrayal of teen relationships) but the more I watched and especially the more I read I realised it was just a one-note concept. The characters and ideas are great, but I never found they actually did anything new with them. Urabe is an excellent character, for example, but they just ran out of ways to make her consistently interesting. Maybe knowing the original source material soured my experience with the anime (much like with Aku no Hana - although it's fantastically directed, I can't get into the anime because I know how much the series sucks later on), but I couldn't quite buy into it knowing how fundamentally inventive and creative the execution of the series wasn't outside of the awesome concepts it started with.
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 11:37 pm Reply with quote
jymmy wrote:
@dtm42: I was also enamoured with Mysterious Girlfriend X (though I never agreed that it was somehow a realistic portrayal of teen relationships)...

I meant in the way that it showed typical teen awkwardness and how they have to figure out how to be a couple and to listen to, respect and value their partner. And while this is going on they must deal with their sexuality and desires, and are learning and exploring new kinks.

I guess the relationship itself wasn't that realistic, but the issues the characters faced was.

jymmy wrote:
...but the more I watched and especially the more I read I realised it was just a one-note concept. The characters and ideas are great, but I never found they actually did anything new with them.

And I respectfully counter that they didn't have to do anything new with them. The story didn't have an external plot per se, it was simply a Slice-of-Life Romantic Comedy that showed two teens getting closer to each other and going from a couple in name to a couple in heart. That's all it set out to do, and while it may seem unambitious the story was very well executed. Sometimes keeping things simple and letting the characters and themes speak for themselves is better than trying to force characters and storylines to go places that they don't really belong. And the point with Urabe was that she didn't have to be made interesting, she just inherently was. I enjoyed watching her and Tsubaki get along, and there was plenty of drama in their interactions to carry the show.

Perhaps you are primarily speaking from your experience of the Manga? In which case you may have a point; I thought the Anime ended in a good place, but if the Manga causes the relationship to go stale I could see that being a problem.
jymmy

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 12:07 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
typical teen awkwardness and how they have to figure out how to be a couple and to listen to, respect and value their partner. And while this is going on they must deal with their sexuality and desires, and are learning and exploring new kinks.

Yeah, that. I never bought that view; it never rang true to me. It never reminded me even abstractly of me or anyone else I've known or any TV shows I've seen, etc. I saw and enjoyed it principally (or, rather, totally) as a depiction of their unique relationship, and it did that very well. To be perfectly honest I thought School Days was more realistic in portraying real teenage relationships, though of course that doesn't necessarily equate to quality writing.

Quote:
it was simply a Slice-of-Life Romantic Comedy that showed two teens getting closer to each other and going from a couple in name to a couple in heart... the point with Urabe was that she didn't have to be made interesting, she just inherently was.

Yep, fair enough, and I agree, but after a while I found it it all just stagnated. I think I have been blending my overall impressions of the manga into my impressions of the anime. I probably experienced them too closely to one another.
Covnam

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 12:38 am Reply with quote
I'm looking forward to seeing this on TAN. The show & content it comes with sounds pretty tempting even for a blind buy. If it turns out to be this good I'll definitely have to pick it up later on.
The Coffee God

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 12:49 am Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
I'm looking forward to seeing this on TAN. The show & content it comes with sounds pretty tempting even for a blind buy. If it turns out to be this good I'll definitely have to pick it up later on.

The dub started online about 3 weeks ago.
http://www.theanimenetwork.com/Anime/Dusk-Maiden-of-Amnesia/Watch

And it'll be coming to VOD on June 6th.
Key

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 1:16 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Although looking at the cover, I am kind of happier with what Hanabee's cover will look like.

While that is a cool cover, I think the actual one used for this release is better, for three reasons: it shows Yuuko dressed the way she more typically appears in the series (her skirt isn't usually as short as the alternate art implies), the color scheme is more typical of the series' artwork, and it clearly being a dusk or near-dusk lighting effect syncs better with the name of the series in a subtle way.

jymmy wrote:
dtm42 wrote:
it was simply a Slice-of-Life Romantic Comedy that showed two teens getting closer to each other and going from a couple in name to a couple in heart... the point with Urabe was that she didn't have to be made interesting, she just inherently was.

Yep, fair enough, and I agree, but after a while I found it it all just stagnated. I think I have been blending my overall impressions of the manga into my impressions of the anime. I probably experienced them too closely to one another.

No, because I had pretty much the exact same impression towards the end of the series and I never read any of the manga. In fact, that impression is one of the main reasons why I rate this series ahead of MGX; Urabe was my pick for 2012's best character (although Yuuko is not a push-over in that category, either), but I ultimately found the relationship dynamic in DMoA to be more fulfilling. MGX simply doesn't have anything, relationship-wise, which can match what happens during DMoA's death scene or episode 11 climax.

Last edited by Key on Sat May 25, 2013 3:04 am; edited 1 time in total
Kohii

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 2:54 am Reply with quote
jojothepunisher wrote:
I might rewatch the show again because of this review.

I might buy the show because of this review. Also, haven't seen Sentai include good extras since Infinite Stratos.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5