• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Yu-Gi-Oh! GX Coming to Shonen Jump

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Josh7289

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:06 pm Reply with quote
Kyuriko wrote:
As for the translation issues, I believe much of it has to do with the way Viz has been trying to write the dialogue to flow more like natural English, something I prefer over a literate translation. But still, I won't deny there's been a lot of times where the dialogue does seem unnatural and I have to reread something a few times over.

Eh, that's not too bad. I do sometimes have trouble understanding what's going on in One Piece, but I don't know if that is Viz's fault.

In any case, does this translation things apply to all of Viz's manga, including Bleach?
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:43 pm Reply with quote
GoodLuckSaturday wrote:
It's odd they're not serializing potentially successful franchises like D.Gray-Man for the magazine, but rather a sequel that probably won't have the longevity of an open bag of graham crackers.

Well, considering the anime is on Episode 94, I'd say the graham crackers are in for a fight. Cool

Yeah, it's a little interesting that the manga is coming now when it can barely fill a graphic novel, but who knows other than it seems to be it's own unique storyline (no real correlation to the anime plots)
Necros Antiquor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 12:35 am Reply with quote
So...they haven't made any comments on whether or not the Millenium World/Memories arc will finish its run in SJ USA as well? Because I understood their decision to take out DBZ; they had started at the beginning of the Andriod/Cell arc, and they had finished that arc, and since its popularity was declining, it was time to take it out and put it only in GN form. That made sense.

I really can't see them taking out what is clearly the most interesting arc in the Yu-Gi-Oh story in order to replace it with a cheap cash-in manga that hasn't even proved itself yet.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 4:17 am Reply with quote
I'm not really a fan of the Millennium World arc, since it's essentially just a reprise of Battle City set in an Egypt modelled after Hyrule in Ocarina of Time. But the completist in me wants to see how it ends. Don't really see the point in selling a manga version of a show which bombed with 4Kids, though.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 4:23 am Reply with quote
Kinda interesting how it ends, although when it did, I kinda felt sad knowing that it did.
GoodLuckSaturday

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 6:52 am Reply with quote
Malintex Terek wrote:
Also, "hallowed" is a synonym for "blessed". Wink

Simple misread on my behalf on that one.

I don't much mind the One Piece adaptation. There are a few moments that have stood out to me as kind of questionable, but I have yet to really not get something in the series.

At the same time, removing it from the magazine isn't going to help it out in terms of adaptation. The Prince of Tennis never ran in the magazine, and it is one of the most half assed adaptations I've ever seen, which feels like it's getting progressively worse with each book. Outside of it, though, I haven't really run across a Shonen Jump adaptation that I found to be close to unreadable, of the ones I've read.
bennyb

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 6:57 am Reply with quote
@Malintex Tarek: I think you just want something to complain about. Smile OP Translations are more than satisfactory IMO. And the whole rant that ASJ should drop OP I do not understand, in the slightest.
Necros Antiquor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 1:42 pm Reply with quote
bennyb wrote:
@Malintex Tarek: I think you just want something to complain about. Smile OP Translations are more than satisfactory IMO. And the whole rant that ASJ should drop OP I do not understand, in the slightest.

Yeah, aside from the Zoro/Zolo and Loguetown/Roguetown issues, I really can't complain about their translation job either. I look forward to One Piece each month much more than even Naruto.

If you were to make an arguement for taking OP out of SJ USA, then it would have to be something along the lines of pointing out that the manga is likely bombing alongside the terrible 4Kids anime version, and it would be better for the magazine's future to put in something more appealing to readers (like, say, something other than Yu-Gi-Oh GX); meanwhile, fans would get more One Piece in either monthly or bi-monthly GNs.

However, I'm just fine with it staying in Shonen Jump, since it saves me money on having to buy the volumes separately. Wink
Malintex Terek

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:28 pm Reply with quote
Kyuriko wrote:

As for the translation issues, I believe much of it has to do with the way Viz has been trying to write the dialogue to flow more like natural English, something I prefer over a literate translation. But still, I won't deny there's been a lot of times where the dialogue does seem unnatural and I have to reread something a few times over.

Oh, no, I totally agree that a literal translation is absolutely horrible. A certain scanslation group continues to do that to this day and it's utterly dreadful.

What Viz is doing is worse, though. In sum, we have a literal translation that's rescribed to fit a natural English speaker, but then further edited for a child audience. Children apparently have very low attention spans and have a vernacular that has roots from all across historical America; the end result is a linguistic hulabaloo of choppy phrases, detatched ideas, and peculiar world choices.

bennyb wrote:

@Malintex Tarek: I think you just want something to complain about. OP Translations are more than satisfactory IMO. And the whole rant that ASJ should drop OP I do not understand, in the slightest.

You're an idiot. Why settle for "satisfactory" when it could be "excellent"? Obviously, you acknowledge the flaws of the OP manga but continue to spend your money like a clueless cow being lead by a Judas Goat into a slaughterhouse, which in my rhetoric is a metaphor for socioeconomic slavery.

Necros Antiquor wrote:

If you were to make an arguement for taking OP out of SJ USA, then it would have to be something along the lines of pointing out that the manga is likely bombing alongside the terrible 4Kids anime version, and it would be better for the magazine's future to put in something more appealing to readers (like, say, something other than Yu-Gi-Oh GX); meanwhile, fans would get more One Piece in either monthly or bi-monthly GNs.

The 4Kids Anime might be "terrible" to a teenager/young adult, but it's a hit with the Toonami crowd. It's just not as promoted as Naruto.

We can conclude the poor manga sales have little or no correlation with the OP Anime. Most people who buy into the SJ anthologies DO NOT regularly order the monthly magazine; they purchase the tankobans. While some might argue 4Kids was a stifiling agent in preventing the "phenomenon" effect of OP by licensing, butchering, and then limiting access to the show, the access has been greatly expanded so people who catch into the series would typically check out the first couple volumes.

Basically put, One Piece did not have enough hype to overcome the threshold of interest that would make it massively popular. Instead, it's a mediocre selling title (but poor for a SJ serial) that alienates almost every Western reader who gets the Viz manga.

If there's anyone to blame for halting One Piece in its tracks, it's AK of Troy at Toriyama's World. His hatred of OP prevented most people from seeing it, while his additional promotion of Naruto eclipse all interest in the series.

Personally, I hold AK in high esteem for his success. He's quite a chivalrous crusader.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 10:03 pm Reply with quote
I don't think the average SJ U.S. reader's even aware of Toriyama's World. I'm guessing the reason OP doesn't do well here is it lacks the "cool" characters associated with an action-comedy like Trigun or Gunsmith Cats. It also doesn't have the urgency of a shonen fighting series like DBZ or YYH. Plus let's face it. Watching a character sailing around and doing nothing was boring enough in Windwaker. Supporting a series which has almost 10 years of that crap isn't very appealing.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 10:23 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
I don't think the average SJ U.S. reader's even aware of Toriyama's World. I'm guessing the reason OP doesn't do well here is it lacks the "cool" characters associated with an action-comedy like Trigun or Gunsmith Cats. It also doesn't have the urgency of a shonen fighting series like DBZ or YYH. Plus let's face it. Watching a character sailing around and doing nothing was boring enough in Windwaker. Supporting a series which has almost 10 years of that crap isn't very appealing.

Completely agreed. Even Sanji, who is one of the suavest motherfuckers in any Shonen Jump series was turned into a bumbling ape of a person in English.
Malintex Terek

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 12:01 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

Toriyama's World did nothing directly to the One Piece manga. Remember that anime is a large niche market than manga because the world is so visually oriented nowadays; every instance of a popular manga in the West usually has a corresponding Anime of equal popularity.

AK of Troy hates One Piece on the grounds of taste, and since TW was extremely popular back in the day and was a hub for Bittorrent, not to mention Naruto debuted (strongly) around the same time, One Piece never had the internet momentum that has made Naruto popular.

Obviously, of course, there are cultural, stylistic, and approach differences to One Piece that are lacking in other shounen titles, but that's a barrier I feel was never even reached in regard to ballooning OP's popularity. Basically, I am arguing that since OP never even got off the ground (the internet), it never took off into the stratosphere.

steventheeunuch wrote:

Completely agreed. Even Sanji, who is one of the suavest motherfuckers in any Shonen Jump series was turned into a bumbling ape of a person in English.

You mean that saggy packhorse with a one trick show? He's the biggest chauvinist of any manga, period. Not to mention his design makes me want to barf.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 12:25 am Reply with quote
Malintex Terek wrote:
You mean that saggy packhorse with a one trick show? He's the biggest chauvinist of any manga, period. Not to mention his design makes me want to barf.

But he's so dreeeaaamy

Actually, shamefully enough, I was moreso refering to the Anime, which I then realised isn't the actual issue at hand. However, misinterpretation in the Anime could/can cause misinterpretation in the Manga. But whatever.

Edit: Manga has actually gone beyond a niche market, given it has occasionally appear in top 100/50 lists over the last year or so. You seem to be giving online Internet fandoms that don't buy anything far too much credit for the financial success or something.

TL;DR: stop speaking from your arse.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3