• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Dusk maiden of Amnesia Blu-Ray

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
v1cious

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 9:35 am Reply with quote
I never saw the anime, but I liked the manga a lot.
DG_Nick

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 7:44 pm Reply with quote
It's probably worth mentioning that this is a good sentai release. I was surprised when it said the set would include the OST, I still didn't really believe it until I opened my copy. It's even more crazy that it has translated japanese commentary on it too, it wasn't until I read this review that I found out about it. The only other set I know that has one is Bakemonogatari, and compared to that, Dusk Maiden is an incredibly good value. I just wish I hadn't watched it fairly recently, but at least the dub seems unusually good for a sentai dub; Momoe especially is incredibly charming. The only complaint I have is that Yuuko pronounces Teiichi a bit like Taichi, but it's close enough that I can forgive it and she may get better (I only watched the first episode) later.

Quote:
Kirie has [...] an odd propensity for striking dramatic poses.

You're damn right she does, and it's awesome. If only she had a stand or could use the ripple like in JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, then she'd be PERFECT.
Key

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 11:03 pm Reply with quote
If it hasn't already been done, I would dearly love to see someone do a proper AMV using DMoA and Madonna's "Vogue" featuring Kirie.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ingraman

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 2:52 pm Reply with quote
DG_Nick wrote:
It's even more crazy that it has translated japanese commentary on it too, it wasn't until I read this review that I found out about it. The only other set I know that has one is Bakemonogatari

Didn't Funi's release of FMP!:TSR have translated commentaries? Maybe it was Planetes? I know that I've listened to/read some on professional releases before Bakemonogatari, but I'm not sure that I'm remembering correctly at the moment. Those might not have been every-episode commentaries, but scattered ones instead.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 2:00 am Reply with quote
Ingraman wrote:
DG_Nick wrote:
It's even more crazy that it has translated japanese commentary on it too, it wasn't until I read this review that I found out about it. The only other set I know that has one is Bakemonogatari

Didn't Funi's release of FMP!:TSR have translated commentaries? Maybe it was Planetes? I know that I've listened to/read some on professional releases before Bakemonogatari, but I'm not sure that I'm remembering correctly at the moment. Those might not have been every-episode commentaries, but scattered ones instead.

It had translated commentaries and it also had translated location research trip segments.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 2:27 am Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
Ingraman wrote:
DG_Nick wrote:

It had translated commentaries and it also had translated location research trip segments.

In all fairness, those special features were originally put together by Kadokowa USA who originally held the license for the show. Funimation initially only did distribution for it.

Regardless, translated commentaries aren't something we get a lot of, especially recently.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 11:03 am Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:

Regardless, translated commentaries aren't something we get a lot of, especially recently.

True and I'm glad we don't. I remember wasting my time on the commentaries for Code Geass 2; Groups sighing in unisons is a bit creepy if spontaneous and annoying if scripted. Nerima Daikon Brothers had them on the singles and I heard they were back for the OOP Funimation version but my thinpack copy? Nope, still didn't stop ADV from putting the show on the same number of DVDs. They were better with for presence of Nabeshin but the guest actors and one producer? He had to keep nudging them to talk. Jun Fukuyama made a lively presenter in his own right for CG but, no surprise, he wasn't exactly a fountain of information.

I've watched three episodes of Dusk Maiden and while I'm enjoying it, they are problems which is preventing me from plowing through like Mysterious Girlfriend X.

1 We get it, there's a ghost and most of the ghost stories of the school possibly stem from Yuko. To put it simply, so what? It's the same problem I had with Ano Hana: Ghosts can't develop, they just are. Am I suppose to buy Yuko and Teiichi as a couple? Because apart from the whole convenience of him being able to touch her {She can interact with objects and she can touch people. Don't tell me Yuko can move that coffee cup because it believes in her?! Otherwise, why not "Hey, Momoe. Meet the president. You can't see her but you can touch her."? It's Ano Hana plot stupidity all over again! What is it with supernatural anime and insipid masquerades?}

Where was I? Right, they have no connection outside club time {Yes, Dusk Maiden, I get it. Too cute}.

2 Momoe's the one coming up with the ghost rumors, they spend their club time with said ghost during the time when these rumors occur {that's for the new ones. As for the old ones, they are surprisingly accurate and still discussed frequently. Both, really?} They're the only students who appear and they're the ones most interested in these things. See a pattern?

It's pretty much a closed circle inside a closed loop. Ghost causes incident which they investigate and they investigate when ghost cause incident while investigating...

Mahoromatic did this in one episode and did it much better. Rumors led to investigation, investigation led to ghost, running from ghost led to second ghost, ghosts found closure and moved on. On the next episode...
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 4:36 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
It's the same problem I had with Ano Hana: Ghosts can't develop, they just are.

Yeah, you're so wrong about this I don't know whether to laugh or cry. I'm not talking about AnoHana - you're right, Menma didn't develop - but rather with Yuuko and Dusk Maiden of Amnesia. Yuuko without question does develop. With Teiichi's support, she has to deal with the massive trauma of her own death that's literally lingering around. That takes up more than half the show's running time and is pretty much the main plot, so it can hardly be said to be inconsequential.
Key

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 5:44 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
1 We get it, there's a ghost and most of the ghost stories of the school possibly stem from Yuko. To put it simply, so what? It's the same problem I had with Ano Hana: Ghosts can't develop, they just are.

Very wrong in this case, as you'll see later on. To put it in a non-spoilerish way: Yuuko isn't at peace in large part because she needs someone's help to grow beyond a certain point. Some vague hints about why are dropped in episodes 2 and 3, but this won't become clear until later.

Quote:
Am I suppose to buy Yuko and Teiichi as a couple? Because apart from the whole convenience of him being able to touch her {She can interact with objects and she can touch people. Don't tell me Yuko can move that coffee cup because it believes in her?! Otherwise, why not "Hey, Momoe. Meet the president. You can't see her but you can touch her."? It's Ano Hana plot stupidity all over again! What is it with supernatural anime and insipid masquerades?}

Where was I? Right, they have no connection outside club time {Yes, Dusk Maiden, I get it. Too cute}.

Unlike the more free-roaming Menma, Yuuko is specifically restricted to the school grounds. (This becomes a significant point later on.) That limits Yuuko's ability to interact with people to school. She is later shown hanging around (and on) Teiichi during class, so their interactions aren't restricted to club activities, though. In fact, there's almost nothing about DMoA that in any way resembles Anohana except for both being ghost stories which center on a male lead interacting with a female ghost.

Quote:
2 Momoe's the one coming up with the ghost rumors, they spend their club time with said ghost during the time when these rumors occur {that's for the new ones. As for the old ones, they are surprisingly accurate and still discussed frequently. Both, really?} They're the only students who appear and they're the ones most interested in these things. See a pattern?

It's pretty much a closed circle inside a closed loop. Ghost causes incident which they investigate and they investigate when ghost cause incident while investigating...

Not even close to correct, and I can't see where you're even getting this impression from. The only place in the series where Yuuko creates a fresh ghost story based on her actions is in the OVA episode which follows the end of the series.

Quote:
Mahoromatic did this in one episode and did it much better. Rumors led to investigation, investigation led to ghost, running from ghost led to second ghost, ghosts found closure and moved on. On the next episode...

Er, as much as I like and respect Mahoromatic, this is also wrong, as there's no valid comparison between the two.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 7:16 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
It's the same problem I had with Ano Hana: Ghosts can't develop, they just are

I'm not sure why anyone would have a problem with Menma not developing. It was obvious her role was to act as a catalyst for change in others, not be changed herself.
Key

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 9:55 am Reply with quote
One thing that I just realized that I forgot to add to the review that's rather important for first-time viewers: Some episodes (starting with ep 6, I think?) have additional scenes after the ED and before the Next Episode preview, and they aren't on separate chapters. Some of those scenes are fairly important, too.
nightjuan

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 7:55 pm Reply with quote
Well...I haven't seen this show yet, but the inclusion of more extras than what is standard these days as well as the reviews and reactions have tempted me to consider buying it.

Animegomaniac wrote:

True and I'm glad we don't. I remember wasting my time on the commentaries for Code Geass 2; Groups sighing in unisons is a bit creepy if spontaneous and annoying if scripted.

I'd definitely have to disagree about that specific example, since I actually got some interesting information and a few behind-the-scenes anecdotes or jokes from several of those commentaries. Not the most groundbreaking material or anything, but I wouldn't consider them a waste.

Quote:
Jun Fukuyama made a lively presenter in his own right for CG but, no surprise, he wasn't exactly a fountain of information.

Not him, as such, but I think the actual members of the staff provided more of the actually useful bits than any of the voice actors. Of course, I realize some people might not share the same interests when it comes to finding at least a little about the production process as well as trivia facts, but for me those those sorts of things are always appealing (if I happen to like the show, of course).
sam18x

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:05 am Reply with quote
I hope it's okay to rant on something that, in this case, wasn't a fault of the anime producers since they're working from manga source material.

I'm frustrated by the incorporation of the "harem" aspect in a series whose story functions just fine without it.

What was the point of having of having spoiler[Momoe and Kirie have feelings for Teiichi when it's clear three episodes in that those feelings will go nowhere?] I mean, I know that this necessarily can't be an "accurate" portrayal of life, but for me every time I see one of these "harem" shows it strains my ability to suspend disbelief and enjoy the show. And....in this case, maybe somebody was doing a bad job, but it (spoiler[the other two characters liking Teiichi]) felt like this half-hearted thing that they were dragging along...it just didn't fit.

I'm tired of this harem thing and why it shows up in so many shows with great ideas and stories that I would whole-heartedly recommend to other people were it not for that. Who likes this? Why do they (anime and manga writers) keep doing this? Sad
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:15 am Reply with quote
^
You're right, the Harem elements in Dusk Maiden of Amnesia were unnecessary.

Harem keeps on being added to stories that don't need them because Harem is popular and Otaku like watching it. In other words, Harem sells.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:19 am Reply with quote
What you refer to as harem elements are in this case integrated into the story and serve as significant plot points. If you took them out you would have to rework the story from the beginning and would have a different work.

In any case it is a three person club. If both of the others didn't at least like the guy the club would fall apart, so it is not as unrealistic as it sounds.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5