• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Digimon Frontier DVDs Listed by U.S. Retailer

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
11G4GUNOT

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 1:01 pm Reply with quote
4th engrish dub no japanese.
Jen Bigby wrote:
zeo1fan wrote:
Will this set really sell all that well? Wasn't it the least loved Digimon season till 'Young Hunters' came along?

Also it's dub-only apparently so a lot of people will definitely pass. Sad

same with Digimon Seasons 1-3 and Data Squad no subtitles all edited TVY7FV written all over. Release the BANDAI VISUAL/Happinet version than Alliance Entertainment and New Video Group versions
ConanSan

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 1:48 pm Reply with quote
Eh, I think I'm good with 01 and Tamers, 02 was an editorial flustercuck and Frountier suffered the same fate as Rockman.exe in that it was a sentai series that had no right to be as much.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Sadly this is common practice in America. They don't release DVDs of 'kids shows' usually and tend to wait 10+ years to do it so they can cash in on those kids who grew up into adults's nostalgia. They don't care about adult views then, they only care about the adults who grew up with a show and will buy stuff out of blind nostalgia. It's a rather unfortunate practice.

And yeah, it goes without saying no sub, no buy. Still amazed companies do this kind of crap.

As for the show itself, Frontier was nice. It got some flak for it's sentai roots, but they were executed well and easily did the "survive in a hostile world" thing Adventure did better than 02 and Tamers ever did. Plus the villain cast was interesting and had some great designs.

Conan-san wrote:
Eh, I think I'm good with 01

There's no series called 01.
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 3:46 pm Reply with quote
This is great. (I hope they release more old shows as complete boxsets eventually)
zawa113

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 7:04 pm Reply with quote
I am quite happy for this, I enjoyed Frontier!

Which is not to say it's not without plenty of problems:
1) Zoe-possibly the most useless girl in any Digimon franchise. Name any other girl who couldn't beat their monster of the week in what is literally the debut evolution ep. Later on, she couldn't break a mirror without going into beast form while no one else had any trouble with this at all. Her personality is fine, so she's not the most annoying girl that way, but as a fighter, she's like a Magikarp with an everstone. Aang would be disappointed with her lack of doing anything useful with air.

2) Broken digivolution. Not to get into spoilers storywise, but while every Digimon series tends to give the Hero and the Lancer a bonus evolution or something (it could be argued that Tamers didn't since those three were the clear mains, though others with Digimon didn't get bonuses), Frontier went overboard. They get their first cheat about halfway through, but then they proceed to give the two of them a bonus so broken it makes it so the others can't do anything but stand on the sidelines and cheer. If you think I'm talking about rookie digimon on the side, I am not. And since they can no longer do any practical fighting, the main storyline basically abandons all but two characters a little more than halfway through the series (though they get an occasional pity episode). At least in prior series, everyone else didn't suddenly turn useless as a result of the Hero and Lancer getting their bonus.

So those are my two main problems, but I really like the series anyway. I actually like the whole "kids become the digimon" thing and I bet the animators did too, with not having to draw a kid and monster in every scene, but since most of the Digimon in past series either had the same personality or were clones of their human (Patamon and Gomamon are like the two major exceptions), I didn't think too much missing by having them become the Digimon.
Also, I think this series has one of the more interesting sixth rangers. Of course, the series abandons the sixth ranger during the broken power up with everyone else in terms of fighting too, but....eh?
And I also like it when they take place more in the digital world. Just a personal preference, but I just think there's something fun about being in a dangerous world like that. I've always thought it'd be cooler to live in the Digimon anime world than the Pokemon one for precisely this reason. Oh and dual colored personalized digivices are pretty sweet too!

Alas, I should totally be patient and wait like a month after it comes out to get it cheaper, like I didn't for Adventure 1 and 2, heh
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 7:19 pm Reply with quote
My only issues with Frontier lie on the lack of the dynamic Adventure, 02, Tamers, Savers and Xros all had: The human-Digimon dynamic.

Also; The Royal Knights arc and how everyone except Takuya and Koji were useless after a certain point.

Really would've enjoyed Frontier as a whole more had they had the Ancient___Mons included. No, Island of the Lost Digimon was not enough. They could've made everyone equal in the process.

Still ticked that with the figures, you could combine them to get the Ancients and yet they never explicitly appear in the show, aside from Grey and Garuru in the movie.

I might pick this up, if only for the stuff before and after the RK arc as I found it pretty enjoyable. I actually enjoyed the dub too. Could never get into the original version with Frontier.

I just hope this means they'll be doing a complete release of Data Squad. I've got the original sets that were released but the show never got fully released.
Lavnovice9

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 7:30 pm Reply with quote
It is unfortunate companies still release edited only releases, especially in severe cases of heavy butchering like Saban and Disney with the Digimon franchise. I can only hope they release sub-only sets like other companies have been doing later on. Until then, fansubs are the best choice here.
Jen Bigby

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 7:35 pm Reply with quote
ParaChomp wrote:
To boot, they were pretty decent especially for dubs of a show aimed towards children in the country of redistribution.

No way! The dubs were totally different shows Sad It felt like you were watching some abridged series parody version with all the plot changes and terrible jokes and bad voice-acting.
Hitokiri Kenshin

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 8:09 pm Reply with quote
Lavnovice9 wrote:
It is unfortunate companies still release edited only releases, especially in severe cases of heavy butchering like Saban and Disney with the Digimon franchise. I can only hope they release sub-only sets like other companies have been doing later on. Until then, fansubs are the best choice here.

cough*pirate*cough

Don't think Digimon is wanted enough to be released subbed. Same with Speed Racer.

Need to get the others, but definitely getting this. Heck, I cosplay Koji, so I have to get this. And I'm a big Michelle Ruff fan.
Crispy45

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 8:23 pm Reply with quote
Hitokiri Kenshin wrote:
cough*pirate*cough

>_> Piracy is totally justified when it comes to hackjob dubs

classicalzawa wrote:
1) Zoe-possibly the most useless girl in any Digimon franchise. Name any other girl who couldn't beat their monster of the week in what is literally the debut evolution ep. Later on, she couldn't break a mirror without going into beast form while no one else had any trouble with this at all. Her personality is fine, so she's not the most annoying girl that way, but as a fighter, she's like a Magikarp with an everstone. Aang would be disappointed with her lack of doing anything useful with air.

Fairymon focuses on speed not power. Shutumon is her heavy-hitter form. And [No, you are not going to start the Western animation versus Japanese animation soapboxing all over again. You've been warned about this in other threads as is and it's irrelevant to this discussion. Troll attempt removed.]

Quote:
At least in prior series, everyone else didn't suddenly turn useless as a result of the Hero and Lancer getting their bonus.

>_> the only one who did anything remotely useful after WarGreymon and MetalGarurumon appeared was HolyAngemon killing Piemon. Two of the Dark Masters were killed by WarGreymon and one by MetalGarurumon. The other kids didn't do anything... 02 was okay about it in the end with Shakkoumon and Silphymon doing some stuff while Imperialdramon did other stuff and the final battle having EVERYONE in it, but then Tamers went right back to side characters being side-lined for the final battle. Even Ruki/Renamon got sidelined so she could give her power to make Justimon stronger which still failed. Hirokazu and Kenta got the worst of it x_x They may as well not gotten Digimon in the first place. Tamers had some of the most useless side characters in battle along with Frontier near the end.

Quote:
but since most of the Digimon in past series either had the same personality or were clones of their human (Patamon and Gomamon are like the two major exceptions), I didn't think too much missing by having them become the Digimon.

o_O; Wait huh? Maybe in the dub but in the original the Digimon were nothing like their partners. That was the whole point of them bonding with them. Tentomon got Koushiro to open up and get out of his bubble, Palmon made Mimi more naturalistic, Gabumon helped Yamato make friends and supported him. The closest you got to similarities were Taichi and Agumon being hot-headed and always looking to take on the villains. 02 had Hawkmon and Miyako being nothing alike. Miyako was aloof and crazy while Hawkmon was honorable and polite and had to keep Miyako on a short leash etc etc I'm too lazy to do more but yeah x_x more often than not the Digimon offered a dynamic contrast to their human partner. while that may be seen as a fault in Frontier, it also lets the humans grow and learn from each and on their own other rather than their monster partner magically help them.
zawa113

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 8:43 pm Reply with quote
^I think you're forgetting that Zudomon, ultimate level, defeated spoiler[Metaletamon], mega level. Not a four dark master, but a mega nonetheless. At everyone at least showed up for battles in Adventure 1 and 2 and attacked. In Frontier, they literally could not. But in Adventure, it wasn't just the two megas and broken as all hell Magna/Holyangemon doing everything. Mimi went to gather digimon friends, who of course proved useless, but it was a nice gesture. So even if their Digimon weren't as useful, the kids themselves didn't relegate themselves to just stand on the sidelines watching.

The Digimon were useful for helping bring out the kids' personalities in the first series, but then in later ones, they didn't seem as necessary to me. I don't recall Hawkmon, Veemon, or Armadillomon really doing anything useful in the personality department (and I just watched 02 like a month ago), I just don't think they bonded as hard as the kids in the first series did. So I really don't mind them missing in Frontier as the kids interact with each other plenty enough.

I don't recall Fairymon/Kazemon's speed being all that useful of an asset ever. But seriously, the purpose of Fairymon's debut ep is to make her look the coolest, but when she can't defeat her monster of the week, it kinda makes her look bad.
Hagaren Viper

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 8:50 pm Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:

1) Zoe-possibly the most useless girl in any Digimon franchise. Name any other girl who couldn't beat their monster of the week in what is literally the debut evolution ep.

Yoshino Fujieda Rolling Eyes

Zoe definitely got the short end of the stick, but I''ll always give her props for holding her own both the times the boys lost their spirits.

Hitokiri Kenshin wrote:
Don't think Digimon is wanted enough to be released subbed. Same with Speed Racer.

To be fair, things like Monster Rancher and Samurai Pizza Cats [Whatever it's Japanese equivalent is called] got subbed sets out of nowhere, and while Im sure people wanted them, I sure want Monster Farm.... who really wanted them?

Granted, I think the likelihood of Digi getting subbed sets is slim, but hey.
zawa113

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 10:01 pm Reply with quote
Hagaren Viper wrote:
Granted, I think the likelihood of Digi getting subbed sets is slim, but hey.

Yeah, definitely, but I'd buy at least season one sub if they ever did it. No idea if messaging New Video Group asking for it will help since I still don't know much about them. I still don't know how they decided to even get Digimon, but I'm guessing it must be selling decently if they're decided to go up to 4 so far in less than a year.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 7:24 pm Reply with quote
zeo1fan wrote:
Kazemon15 wrote:
zeo1fan wrote:
Will this set really sell all that well? Wasn't it the least loved Digimon season till 'Young Hunters' came along?

02 is actually worst than Frontier, plot wise. It was a mess, but people still enjoyed it for various reasons.

Well, what do people commonly love about Frontier?

I imagine most of it is because that it's Power Rangers (or Sailor Moon or Saint Seiya, et al) set in the Digimon World. I initially couldn't get into it because while it was a neat idea to see once, I wasn't too keen on that being the main hook.

I liked Adventure 02 for the same reasons I liked the 2nd gen Pokemon games--everything that happened before mattered and it was fun to catch up with the cast. The finale was kinda ridiculous, but we'll always have TK punching the Digimon Emperor in the face.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 1:57 pm Reply with quote
xScar wrote:
While having the Japanese audio and subs might've made more people interested in it, those actually wanting Digimon Frontier will get it regardless. They won't pass it simply because it's dub only -- they know Digimon because of the dub, after all. This is also the first time it's ever been released outside of its tv airings.

It will sell.
Personally, I don't want this series anywhere near as much as Tamers, although if it had a local release I would probably get it. Out of the first four it is the series I would most want subbed however; I've never experienced the original two series in Japanese other than the movies and a few clips. For Tamers, I watched it dubbed and raw (this was pre-speed subbing) pretty much simultaneously and am pretty fond of both versions. Frontier was the first (and last, given that I didn't get far into Savers) Digimon show I watched fansubbed and when I eventually managed to sample the dub (by the time it eventually broadcast over here I had lost interest) I didn't like it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2