• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Writer: Live-Action Akira Would Have Been Set on Japanese-Owned Manhattan

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 3:48 am Reply with quote
Ryo Hazuki wrote:
TJ_Kat wrote:

Your villain is even the titular Japanese boy named Akira. Throw in a couple of B-list actors who's names people will recognize and you have a movie tailor made for the American movie-going audience.

Have you read the manga or seen the movie? I sure don't remember Akira being a villain in either of those. Besides, the actions of the American military is something that wouldn't work in an American setting.

Unless they flip it and have the Japanese military do what the Americans did in the film and manga. I imagine that's how they would work it if they set the film in Manhattan.

That would be bull but the American military 99% of the time need to look like the good guys...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
roseversailles

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 1:21 am Reply with quote
The setting/premise actually doesn't seem too bad. I've seen remakes come up with worse "retoolings." My problem is with the casting. Keep Bonham-Carter and Stewart out of it, and maybe we've got a film. Still wish there would be some racial diversity in the cast, such as... I don't know... somebody Japanese? Perhaps an Asian-American unknown? I guess we'll never know, since there's no way this film could be made under $100 mil. Maybe, if other anime properties are adapted successfully, it could happen. What popular anime titles would lend themselves well to a live-action, U.S. produced film? I've always thought Banana Fish would make a great film, and it's already set in the U.S...
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 12:26 pm Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
That sounds really stupid. I haven't seen Akira in over a decade but I don't recall there being anything about a foreign invasion in it.
Then I guess you didn't actually read Akira.

And actually the idea of Neo New York being bought or having Japanese money in it was pretty much an idea from the beginning as Gary Whitta was one of the earlier screen writers involved.

And it's not even a bad idea, since social unrest is a major idea in Akira. This type of setting could have been well used as a reason why the youth is so screwed up and disenchanted with the world. It could provide a reason why the two protags are in the cracks of society. It's actually a pretty solid idea.

But no anime fans just want to bitch about every change anything makes, not understanding that adaptations mean making changes and changes can lead to something cool. Hell the original anime movie makes tons of changes and is way better for it. A live action movie could have been good and whatever, the other two versions of Akira would still exists. Hopefully one day an Akira movie happens.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3