• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Rurouni Kenshin: Restoration Manga to End on Tuesday

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 12:19 am Reply with quote
Important announcement...a remake of the anime with no filler? Very Happy
ittoujuu

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 12:38 am Reply with quote
If I had to guess on the announcement, I'd say it's going to be the details about what the second live-action movie is going to cover. I saw the first live-action movie for the first time this weekend and enjoyed it, even though there was a lot of shifting around of plot points (Takeda Kanryu + Jin'e, but without any of the Oniwabanshu). I think a second movie would be a good way to really take on the Raijuta arc, fairly self-contained as it is, and portray it in a way that realizes the good parts of its TV and manga depictions while ironing out its more problematic points. Somehow, I also feel the Oniwabanshu could be worked into that arc too, as infiltrators of Raijuta's gang. After all, I do think they need to be introduced before the Kyoto Arc, otherwise you don't have the gravity going in for Aoshi. Not that they specifically NEED Aoshi, but he was too popular a character to mothball in a live-action adaptation.

Also, I just found out a few days ago that the RK: Restoration manga is getting a physical printing by Viz, with the first volume set to be released on June 4. I know it had been available digitally and/or through Shonen Jump Alpha, but I just thought I'd let people know that you'll be able to pick it up in book form soon. I'm very curious whether it sticks exactly to the plot the live-action movie follows, or starts along those lines but then makes its own divergences. And of course, now that Watsuki is finishing it up, will he go back to Embalming (which he stopped to write RK Restoration, iirc), or will he start a new project? Maybe that announcement will be something about that.
dan9999

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 12:48 am Reply with quote
I want a complete reboot covering all the manga.
HyugaHinata

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 12:49 am Reply with quote
TsukasaElkKite wrote:

One can only hope. They owe us a %$(@##$#&ing proper Jinchu arc!!!
yamiangie

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 12:51 am Reply with quote
Tried to get into this manga and I couldn't. The way Nobuhiro Watsuki's art style has evolved over the years something about Kenshin's hair style is just wrong to me.
The Mad Manga Massacre

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 12:51 am Reply with quote
Huh... shame, I was really enjoying Restoration. Oh well, I wonder if Viz will get anything to replace it in the magazine?
roseversailles

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 1:27 am Reply with quote
HyugaHinata wrote:
TsukasaElkKite wrote:

We've been waiting long enough! After that filler, we deserve a great adaptation of the Jinchu arc! They did remake the Kyoto arc, after all! It'd be great to see it animated with a decent budget, like what they did with Tsuioku-Hen. It'd be great if it was equally good, as well!
trunkschan90

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 1:42 am Reply with quote
HyugaHinata wrote:
TsukasaElkKite wrote:

This 'nuff said.
Little_Hawk

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 1:47 am Reply with quote
I can't wait for the day a live action adaptation of the Kyoto arc is made. After all the necessary arcs before it are adapted, of course.
Felicity dash

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 2:42 am Reply with quote
Either one of two things about this major announcement: it will be about the second movie or a complete remake of the anime with little or no fillers (that would be a big enough announcement that would shock me..incredibly)

I love the movie and would not mind hearing about the 2nd movie, but I just hope it's about an animated series remake and not another ova.. Unless it would be a jinchuu arc ova

Such a shame he is ending Restoration too because I just joined April Sad
vanfanel

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 4:17 am Reply with quote
I'm really hoping for a second live action movie with the same staff as the first one; I really enjoyed the first one, to the point that it's now my preferred version of the material it covers.

edit: just hope they're able to maintain the balance between awesome and halfway realistic without tipping over into silly. We don't need Kenshin's master fighting a sword wielding Eva unit later on Wink
Fyndra

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 4:29 am Reply with quote
Wow, there were some speculations about an announcement recently and I was really hoping for it, but it still surprised me Very Happy
There were some info that the live action was so successful that there's a high probability for another movie / series, so we might get that Smile

Regarding the Restoration manga: what? Shocked It is so messed up right now that I doubt Watsuki-sensei would be able to finish it in one chapter... (or it has to be 60-pages long, like the ending for Busou Renkin Razz)
On the other hand I'm secretly glad, because he can now go back and continue Embalming. I'm a Kenshin fan through and through, but this Restoration manga is rather plain. It's fun sometimes, has its strong points, has some cool new ideas, but it's still plain.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Divineking

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 6:14 am Reply with quote
If the announcement isn't an ACTUAL anime reboot, not some OVA no one cares about, I'm not interested. Speaking of the LA movie though, I'm surprised it's not available stateside yet considering some of the promotion it got. Hopefully we'll get it soon. Most likely from Viz.
vulcanraven01

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 6:49 am Reply with quote
Personally I can see it being an announcement for a sequel to the live-action movie.
However, what I WANT it to be is an announcement of a reboot of the anime with no fillers, similar to the latest Hunter x Hunter TV series.
TopGunman

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 6:57 am Reply with quote
An anime sequel to the first series. Not a remake! a sequel. PLEASE!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2